Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A1food4u
    • Apr 2024

Spice Beast

I was recently approached to give my observations and impressions of a line of spices being offered to folks in the health/bodybuilding life style, I am both an executive chef and bodybuilding enthusiast. The product boasts a healthier profile that grocery store offerings. The products are Organic, Non-irradiated, Gluten free, sugar free and boast no preservatives. They also state “boldly” on the label “16 G Protien”. I will first evaluate the products based on label information only, I will then use them in a variety of ways giving personal opinions as I do… I may be somewhat qualified to give my opinions..lol…
    I was sent four of the Spice Beast flavors to evaluate… Ocean’s Seven, Power Mex, Meat Madness and Beast Prep. They were shipped very securely and well cushioned. The labels are quite eye catching. Contents are listed clearly and suggestions for use given. I find the nutritional facts labeling to be a bit small and hard to read but I have old eyes.
    The first thing you notice about the Spice Beast seasonings is the packaging. IT”S GLASS!!! This is stellar. Plastics can degrade the flavor profiles of spices over time. The glass container also gives better protection with regard to humidity changes and therefore the “shake” ability of the spices within. The products have good color, upon opening they were aromatic and pleasant, old spices pick up a musty in the jar smell and sometimes are “plasticky” none of that was present with these glass jars. A quick taste of each revealed a different distinct flavor for each. All seem to remain well mixed with the exception of the ocean’s seven, as it is the blend which contains the greatest amount of “leafy” ingredients’ this is expected as it will settle during shipping. A few good vigorous shakes and the product was again well mixed.
    So, how do they stack up against other seasonings? None of the four contains any fat, no surprise there. What is surprising is the lack of any anti-caking agents, artificial colors or preservatives. The label boasts 16g protein, but that’s NOT a per serving amount so may be a bit misleading. In actuality there is .13 g per serving and 16g in the whole container. The protein added is organic pea protein, good quality, and it will act as the anti caker keeping the mix from sticking together in humid conditions, a pretty smart way to go. A big surprise to me was the low sodium content of the spices. All four range between 74 mg and 230 mg per serving, as a comparison the same serving of Lawry’s season salt would run 380 mg sodium. All are listed at 1 to 2 calories per serving, here’s the danger…. How many of us will measure out ¼ tsp? This is the size per serving listed. Now that may be plenty on a 4 oz chicken breast but how many of us are taking in protein only 4 ounces at a time? So these numbers would be speculative depending on your current diet.
    So far I am impressed…. I will be cooking with them daily and will update you on my findings…

A1
    Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2017, 01:40 PM.
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

I wonder about pricing as compared to store bought seasonings?
    I live in Montreal Seasoning and Dales Marinade.
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Cool.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• A1food4u

Originally posted by Roughrydr
        I wonder about pricing as compared to store bought seasonings?
        I live in Montreal Seasoning and Dales Marinade.
        I'm sorry to say I can't answer this one, as a trial they simply sent me the four, let me see what they say...

Comment

• A1food4u

I sent an email, hoping to have you an answer soon

Comment

• A1food4u

MEAT MADNESS...

spice #1
            The blend tastes very mild but has body. The flavors blend well, none over powers the others. The flavor is pleasant and warm.

started by using the recommended 1/4 tsp. To keep things level I used 4 oz. portions

Chicken... the 1/4 tsp. seasoned the chicken well, tasted good, left me wanting a little more something

Pork... the 1/4 tsp. seasoned the pork ok but I felt a touch more would have been better, again very pleasant taste

Beef... here I felt that doubling the portion of seasoning was necessary, but keep in mind that at 151 mg sodium per serving the 302mg used was still far less sodium than 1 portion of Lawry's at 1/4 tsp.

Salmon...here I was left wanting a bit. The rich oil content of the salmon didn't work well with the seasoning, I'm thinking that a lighter fish, bass or cod may accept the flavor better.

The big surprise... This seasoning was EXCELLENT on grilled vegetable!!!! zucchini, eggplant, asparagus and tomatoes all tasted vibrant and fresh, I mixed the spice into olive oil to toss the veggies before grilling.

Over all I liked this flavor, it is a great base from which to build. If you go a little heavier than the recommended serving size I think you'll have better results

Comment

• A1food4u

I'm not sure if I should link to there home page here.... I'm actually reviewing as requested by suppz.com but I can say that they appear to be priced between $9.99 and $13.50 for a 5.5 oz jar..

Comment

• Roughrydr
                • Oct 2017

That sounds somewhat expensive for that quantity. Or am I wrong? Not sure what 5+ ounces looks like.
                OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• A1food4u

Beast Prep... spice #2

The blend tastes very mild but has body. The flavors blend well, Garlic takes the forefront in the blend. The flavor is pleasant and warm.

started by using the recommended 1/4 tsp. To keep things level I used 4 oz. portions

Chicken.... the 1/4 tsp portion did well, for my tastes a bit more would have been perfect

Pork... the 1/4 tsp was pleasant, the flavors against the pork were great! but again I think a bit more is needed

Beef... the 1/4 tsp was not enough, I used a second portion and the results were significant, the spice blend was perfect for the beef

Sea bass... the 1/4 tsp was a good match, just enough spice to taste but let the flavor of the fish come through..

Grilled veggies... the 1/4 tsp was again mixed in oil and the veggies tossed in it before grilling. It was a good match to the veggies, gibing a pit of body.

The Beast prep would be a great blend to try if you are a food purist, that is to say you like a little flavor but want the natural flavor of your food not to be masked. I found that with this blend the flavors came out at 1/4 tsp but didn't pop until the second tsp was added.

Comment

• A1food4u

That sounds somewhat expensive for that quantity. Or am I wrong? Not sure what 5+ ounces looks like.
                    5.5 oz. is a bottle relatively large compared to other blends. the bottle is about 4.5 inches tall and about 4 inches around. My guess is that even with daily use it would last about a month even being heavy handed, this is speculation though. I went shopping here in WI yesterday, a 4 oz. bottle of Lawry's cost about $3.50

That was a good observation. I'm doing an evaluation for them and input is greatly appreciated!

Comment

• Roughrydr
                      • Oct 2017

Yeah, after I asked I went and checked the average size of tarragon, ground cumin, ginger, etc, .37oz, 2 oz. 4oz was the quantity in the bottle.
                      OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• A1food4u

Both of the two I've logged so far have good flavor, excellent as a matter of fact. I think the downfall is that I am testing them against the labels suggested serving size. None of us is truly going to measure a 1/4 tsp. and then use only that. Last night I had a burger on the grill using the Meat Madness, can't say how much I used just shook till I felt it was right.... and it was a damn good burger.

To the average guy though you gotta look at the price. If your really hard core down with eating the healthiest you can you already know your paying through the nose for non GMO, non irradiated foods.....

Comment

• Thate
                          Vet
                          • Mar 2007

Dales Marinade.
                          that is good stuff, but you should try Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Comment

• Thate
                            Vet
                            • Mar 2007

I had never heard of this company or its products, thanks for the review.

They do seem pricey imo

I sprinkle Bragg's 'Premium Nutritional Yeast' Seasoning on lots of meals.

Comment

• Roughrydr
                              • Oct 2017

Im a dales meat marinade, Montreal Seasoning, and complete seasoning user. Loaded with sodium I'm sure. But they make meat taste so good. Veggies too.
                              OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

Working...