Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkness
    • Apr 2011

A n00b's Guide to Simple and Effective PCT

I had this article I wrote posted on another board, and I decided to post it here. Also some credit goes to Glycomann for fixing some of the scientific details. I hope GOHARD24/7 can get some use from it and others:

Abstract

Obviously any compound that suppresses HPTA function will require a proper Post Cycle Therapy to aid in and speed recovery, as well as help reduce the risk of unwanted side effects. This has been complicated by the fact that, over the past few years, millions of bros and supplement marketers have posted all of their own magic formulas for the best PCT. A Google search may reveal hundreds of different combinations of exotic PCT protocols, including all the OTC hoo-doo, which really implies that it might be difficult for the beginner to sort through all the broshit and decide what the best, safest protocol might be.

In all the complication and endless blather, I believe keeping it as simple and as practical as possible will yield the most benefits. I'd ask you to consider how the KISS principle (Keep it Simple Stupid) will likely pay the biggest dividends to your PCT and not have you running around like a pharmacological junkie, spending 5 times as much on the PCT as you did the cycle. In doing so, you will recover the fastest, reduce the risk of unwanted side effects, and retain as much of you gains as possible.

Why is PCT necessary?

When exogenous androgens are introduced into our systems, such as PH, DS, or good 'ol AAS, endogenous testosterone is suppressed through a mechanism known as negative feedback (Translation: your balls stop makin test). Some compounds seem to be more suppressive than others, but the bottom line is that natural test levels are much lower when on cycle than under normal conditions.

When cessation of exogenous androgen administration occurs, the HPTA function has the opportunity to recover. Note that I did not say it recovers, but rather it now has the opportunity to recover. A properly administrated SERM (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator) is necessary to jumpstart the HPTA as quickly as possible, and bring endogenous testosterone levels back up to normal levels as quickly as possible. A SERM for post cycle treatment is indicated because these compounds bind to the hypothalamus estrogen receptor blocking estrogen. Under normal conditions estrogen is suppressive. It binds at the hypothalamus and prevents the secretion of GnRH. GnRH is required for the pituitary to secret LH, the protein hormone that signals the testes to increase the amount of testosterone produced The SERM blocks estrogen so this protein hormone cascade can go forward and testosterone can be produced (Translation: your balls start makin test faster). Thus, the opportunity exists to keep more of your hard-earned gains.

Moreover, without going into the endless list of compounds and how they each effect estrogen, it is safe to say that, with the majority of these compounds, the potential exists for an estrogen rebound after the cycle has ended (Translation: You could grow titties!). A SERM such as Nolva, which selectively binds the estrogen receptors in breast tissue, is the best way to help reduce the risk of gyno during PCT, and would be preferred over Clomid for this purpose.

A Simple Protocol for some cycles:

PH/DS Cycles:So what then shall we recommend as a simple PCT protocol for AAS or DH/PS? With the understanding at a PH/DS cycle is likely going to be no more than 4 - 6 weeks, I believe the best idea is to keep it very simple. Nolva used at 20mg ED for 4 weeks is perfect. That's it. Plain, simple, cheap and very effective. Start the Nolva on the last day you use the PH/DS compound.

Nolva 20/20/20/20

Simple AAS cycles that do not involve 19nor compounds such as trenbolones or nandrolones, and are less than 13 weeks in length:

Here, some may want to go overboard as well, and design lengthy PCT protocols. I would contend that recovery does not begin until ALL compounds that manipulate the endocrine system are stopped, so here again simple is good.

Nolva 20/20/20/20 or Clomid 50/50/50/50

Now as soon as I say this, many will chime in and say that Clomid is better, or both are better. And hey what about Torem! Well, maybe they are, but I believe in keeping PCT simple for simple cycles with brief suppression, and Nolva probably goes farther in preventing sides from estrogen rebound.

Advanced AAS cycles, including those longer than 12 weeks and those containing harsh compounds and/or 19nors:

This is outside the scope of this article. These may involve additional compounds, longer protocols, including well-timed HCG.

Do I need an AI for PCT?

No. If you want to fancy this thing up a bit and add one starting at week 2 or so, have at it. I warn you though, that Type I AIs, of which category all OTC AIs fall into, can do more harm than good when it comes to preventing estrogen rebound, because they tend to create their own rebound as your system over-produces estrogen in its quest for homeostasis upon cessation of the AI (Translation: The drug you are taking to prevent the growth of man titties could raise you a cup size). I often see people start gyno threads blaming the PH/DS compound, when I really suspect they are simply having an estrogen rebound from uneducated AI use. To me an AI is not necessary for PCT of a brief, simple cycle. In addition, a popular OTC AI, a compound known as ATD, also binds to the androgen receptor and completely destroys sex drive in most men at the indicated dosage. Novadex XT is a popular OTC AI containing this compound.

While it is true that many have created an extended PCT protocol by adding an AI like Aromasin at the end of a PCT protocol to raise test levels, I would question if that actually has a positive effect on long term HPTA recovery, since it is just further manipulation.

Can I just do an OTC PCT?

Since no OTC products currently contain effective SERMS, doing so would not be a PCT at all. It would simply be further hormone manipulation when you could be recovering. Most of these products are AIs, reversitol, and some hoo-doo compounds that are mysterious, magical, and undocumented. They can keep 'em. Besides, although an AI can indeed raise testosterone levels in males by manipulating the test/aromatase/estrogen pathway, it is meaningless early in PCT since there is little testosterone to aromatize in the first place, thus rendering the AI useless until endogenous testosterone levels rise to a level above which manipulation of the aromatase enzyme would prove effective.

I think many supplement companies have marketed OTC PCT to people who use PH/DS because the cycle compounds can be obtained legally, and therefore some of these folks may not want to obtain a SERM. It is cheap and easy to obtain a SERM, and I view supplement companies marketing as PCT OTC AIs and other products that purport to have "SERM-like qualities" as very unfortunate, since the results will be disappointing.

What about test boosters?

Again, this is likely a waste of time. When you really look at the science behind HPTA suppression and how a SERM works to restore function, adding in a compound like tribulus is probably like trying to fight a forest fire with a bucket of water. Don't waste your time, money, or the water.

Conclusion

Keeping PCT simple for these simple cycles will make your recovery cheaper, safer, and easier to manage. Rather than spend alot of money on multiple SERMS, AIs, hoo-doo chemicals, HCG, and a complex protocol, you'll get better results pouring that money into some more whey or your favorite pre-workout supp.
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Good read!
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• bigpapabuff

Very good read, especially the OTC products for pct. They never work and its just as easy to get real pct chems.

Comment

• andy_blue

good info

Comment

• NTG
          VET
          • Jun 2004

"What about test boosters?

Again, this is likely a waste of time. When you really look at the science behind HPTA suppression and how a SERM works to restore function, adding in a compound like tribulus is probably like trying to fight a forest fire with a bucket of water. Don't waste your time, money, or the water."

I disgree with this part completely. when run above 4grams for 4weeks and longer tribulus will yield some pretty impressive results.

at the recomended 1400ish mgs per day yeah it will do nothing but ran between 4-6g it works quite well. its an effective LH stimulant when at the accurate dose. i use it instead of clomid or hcg now at the end of a run.

I suggested this to a friend and he swears by this now. his bloodwork comes back great and he checks before and after each run.

Just thought id share this. good read bro.

NTG
          VET@SSB

Comment

• Cyber

I would never suggest Tribulus to anyone personally. Its a complete rubbish without a proof.

Comment

• liftsiron
              Administrator
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Cyber
              I would never suggest Tribulus to anyone personally. Its a complete rubbish without a proof.

Agree 100%
              ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...