Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Supplements
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Number-LL
Vet

Number-LL is a jewel in the roughNumber-LL is a jewel in the roughNumber-LL is a jewel in the roughNumber-LL is a jewel in the rough
Vitamin D Is a Friend of Muscles

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews...ign=DHB_130628

Vitamin D Is a Friend of Muscles

Marjie Gilliam New York Times Syndicate

06-26-13

DAYTON, Ohio -- Warmer weather brings about greater motivation to be active, whether it's taking a brisk walk, hiking, biking, swimming or working in the yard. Unfortunately, it's easy to overdo it sometimes, which can result in stiff, sore muscles.

An interesting study from The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) found that vitamin D can help facilitate faster muscle recovery after intense exercise, and may even help prevent muscle damage caused by overdoing it.

Damage to the muscles can be caused by a variety of factors, such as experiencing a strain and accompanying inflammation. For example, after a long steep hike, muscles may be extremely sore, leaving them unable to exert normal force. With rest, they repair and regain their full strength again.

"We wanted to study the relationship between vitamin levels and recovery following intense exercise," says TOSH researcher Tyler Barker, Ph.D., lead author of the study. "What we found was that those who had higher vitamin D levels had a faster rate recovery from muscle damage." The research was published in the journal, Nutrients: Vitamin D and Human Health.

"This research sheds new light on the importance of vitamin D in our bodies," said Dr. Brian Dixon, executive director of scientific and clinical affairs at USANA Health Science, and contributing author of the study. "This study is especially appealing on a personal level. For those of us who consider ourselves 'weekend warriors', it looks like we can play a little harder and maybe not suffer as much on Monday."

Fourteen physically active adults participated in the study. Vitamin D levels and the amount of force a participant could exert were measured before and after intense exercise.

Each participant performed intense exercise with one leg while the other leg acted as a control. Then their strength was tested at day one, two, three and seven following the initial intense exercise by pushing against a special force plate. By assessing the amount of strength the leg has with the force plate, researchers could assess the initial muscle damage and then the recovery time.

Researchers found those with higher levels of vitamin D in their blood were able to regain their strength back quicker.

Based on their data, researchers also concluded that vitamin D may protect against muscular weakness caused by muscle damage. They say vitamin D helps to regulate calcium and protein synthesis within the muscle that ultimately help a muscle move. Scientists continue to study the relationship between diet and exercise. Future studies may look at the degree to which vitamin D is helpful in aiding muscle recovery after intense exercise.

Vitamin D promotes calcium absorption, and helps to keep bones strong. It can be obtained from sun exposure, food and supplements. Some of the best food sources include swordfish, salmon, tuna, and mackerel, and fish liver oils. Small amounts of vitamin D are found in beef liver, cheese, and egg yolks. Fortified foods including milk, orange juice, yogurt and ready-to-eat cereals provide most of the vitamin D in the American diet. Recommended dietary allowances (RDAs) for vitamin D vary by age, and gender.

Marjie Gilliam is a personal trainer and fitness consultant. E-mail: marjie@ohtrainer.com. This article appeared in the Dayton Daily News. Â

c.2013 Cox Newspapers

Articles featured in Life Extension Daily News are derived from a variety of news sources and are provided as a service by Life Extension. These articles, while of potential interest to readers of Life Extension Daily News, do not necessarily represent the opinions nor constitute the advice of Life Extension.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.
Number-LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
willi
Banned

willi is just really nicewilli is just really nicewilli is just really nicewilli is just really nice
Great post Bro!!! Thank you for that!
willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
My country is famous for beers, chocolates, waffles, guns and ... rain. I just started taking vit D because of the lack of sun here.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I take D3 every day.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
John Benz
Vet

John Benz is a name known to allJohn Benz is a name known to allJohn Benz is a name known to allJohn Benz is a name known to allJohn Benz is a name known to allJohn Benz is a name known to all
Thumbs up

I'm in the sun all day, but I still take D-3 every day! Great post!
John Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
herteck

Well!
Nice post!thank you.

Give me more information about this!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Muscle79

Muscle79 is on a distinguished road
Great timing on your post. I am preparing to test my vitamin levels, along with other testing for overall health. I was very concerned about my Vitamin D levels since I have not outside much lately and slacking on taking my multi vitamin supplements. BUT, after reading this, I don't think I will ever overlook the importance this vitamin and will be sure to meet my dietary needs! Thanks !!
Muscle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
clutchitalian

clutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of light
awesome read.......
clutchitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
Thunder
Vet

Thunder will become famous soon enough
Thanks, i've been doing Vita D for a few yrs onw. 2,000iu a day
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
Doc started me on D3 a few months ago.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
strongarm
Vet

strongarm is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Doc started me on D3 a few months ago.
How much did they prescribe and the reason why?
strongarm is offline   Reply With Quote