Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > MMA Talk
User Name
Password

Old 08-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
choke

Let's open this up...

MMA forum...
This means, it is a mix. You train, you grapple, punch, kick, throw; you belong here.

I know that there is a lot of experience on this board. Let's mix it up.

There is no right or wrong, or "best" style. But there are positive and negative attributes to everyone. Personally, I've 34 years experience doing shit right and wrong. And getting popped in the mug to show for it.

No matter what style you train, if you put your heart and body into it. I know that I want to hear about it.

We can all learn from each other.

Thanks to liftsiron for the opportunity to have a forum page; especially considering the caliber of guys and girls on this board.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
T1DMMA2BB
Vet

T1DMMA2BB is on a distinguished road
I trained MT and submission wrestling/grappling for almost ten years. Glad to see another MMA enthusiast on the board.
T1DMMA2BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Glycomann

I like uchi mata. I teach different than most. I put everything in terms of circles and movement. a problem most novice players, they do not coordinate their hands with their lower body. They lose the throw up top.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycomann View Post
I like uchi mata. I teach different than most. I put everything in terms of circles and movement. a problem most novice players, they do not coordinate their hands with their lower body. They lose the throw up top.
Can you expound upon that a bit? I think that I get what you're saying, but I want to be sure. I'm trying to spend more time on the Judo aspects of BJJ (simply because it is soooooo lacking in BJJ). And one of my best friends, and the man I personally call "coach" has world class Judo.

Are you saying that most novice guys are trying to pull and twist before getting the lower body involved, or vice versa?

Also, do you have an opinion on how the Russian's do Judo vs. how the Japanese do it? I've noticed some interesting nuances that have painful side affects. Such as how hard, and what happens when you hit the ground; and even grips.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
Glycomann

Most novices leave their hands behind and shoot in with their lower body on hip techniques. They don't set their hands. It's probably not very effective to try to write it out here. The upper and lower body have to be coordinated. In a way they move as a unit. If you really catch a throw in randuri and it goes fast and effortlessly you should notice that everything worked together. You didn't over rotate your hips. The pull did not have to be overly strong. The power came from the hip turn in unison with the rest of the body. Something like a sickle or reaper. You will see a pivot point where you and your opponent's hips met and there is little or no space between your bodies. The hands come along with the upper and lower body. At the apex the direction changes and the downward arc occurs.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
Glycomann

Russians tend to force their techniques. They feel they are stronger than everyone else and rely on strength and power. They are more difficult to move. They appear plodding rather than fluent on average. Japanese are opposite. Very fluent pretty judo on average. At the National level and higher everyone is a good grip fighter. If you get a grip you go because you won't have it for long. The French spend a lot of time on grip fighting. At least that's how it was up until about 5 years ago.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycomann View Post
Russians tend to force their techniques. They feel they are stronger than everyone else and rely on strength and power. They are more difficult to move. They appear plodding rather than fluent on average. Japanese are opposite. Very fluent pretty judo on average. At the National level and higher everyone is a good grip fighter. If you get a grip you go because you won't have it for long. The French spend a lot of time on grip fighting. At least that's how it was up until about 5 years ago.
Very cool insight, and it really jibes with some work I've been putting in. My partner in crime is an Olympic level judo guy (Brazilian no less), and world class Greco Roman; and insanely explosive at 250. He's been working with me on so much grip stuff, between Jap and Russian, and you just summarized the topic perfectly; because the grips affect the move and the guy you're fighting. Mind you, I'm speaking about Judo in a BJJ context; it's a beautiful thing, because most BJJ guys will try and just pull guard if they get a sense you have ANY Judo.

And if they sense you have any Judo and try to pull that guard, that's when that Russian approach really seems to make them regret that stunt. Maybe that is just me, and what I've been able to pull off. Does that jibe with what you?

The Jap approach seems to work best against the BJJ guy who isn't terribly inclined to simply pull guard (thank god there are a few left; I HATE when fuckers do that). They're more nimble, and may try to shoot, or at least trip you.

The lynch pin in all of it, as far as playing BJJ goes, seems to be the grips. If I am wrong, tell me; that's why I'm asking.

Are there any grip specific video courses, books, etc, that you are aware of? I really love the grip fighting for so many reasons; but my hands hate it simply because the damn gi's grind on ya! Ruin a good manicure... (fuck off, I'm a corporate sales guy- j/k)

I think that Rhadi Ferguson and Jimmy Pedro did a grip seminar.(??).
Pedro is amazing, Ferguson has a great game; but is a borderline spammer with his "affiliate marketing" methods... Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Glycomann

Pedro is great. Jason was better. I am terrible with names of techniques, who has the latest training videos out etc. I learned my grip fighting so long ago I don't think about it. I guess it's my own based on the basics. I'm strong so I can break most grips if I need to. I like the aerial part of judo a little more than the ground end. I wouldn't say grip fighting is the lynch pin. In fact probably best to back off grip fighting when training or nobody will learn much of anything. One newer black belt likes to pull his right hand and side back and away so it's difficult to grip with my left hand, So I spend the time sweeping his left leg out and shooting one arm uchi mata. After a while he gets sick of landing on his face from the one arm uchi mata.

Grip fighting is rough on the hands. Look at most Youtube videos of high caliber players. Most have at least a few fingers taped up. Once I start playing hard for a few months i tape all my fingers.

Here is a nice uchi mata. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok30nEiVYMc