X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrX
    VET
    • Oct 2021

Update

I can't even begin to tell you the numerous hurdles faced in the last few years. The big scare was constant tingling, numbing and a loss of strength that suddenly occurred on one side of the body. That got me into urgent care on one day, and then two weeks later my first ambulance trip to emergency. Subsequent labs and scans were done to rule everything out. Finally, two months later the scans showed stenosis of the upper neck.

Once diagnosed it was time to figure out why. It came down to two exercises causing the problem. And neither produced any pain or discomfort while training. The first was reverse hack squat. My neck was not in alignment. I cannot do regular hack squats because it produces severe knee pain. But facing the pads produces a very focused load on my quads. The second insult was shrugs with my head facing up. Once I removed the hacks and tucked my chin down while shrugging all issues then slowly disappeared. But this took nearly half a year to figure out.

Once resolved it was time to get into the best shape of my life.
    Attached Files
  • MindlessWork
    • Aug 2011

Great you found the solution to your neck woes, and perhaps others who have cervical stenosis can see if this can also help them. I also have some neck issues but not stenosis and shrugging with chin down helped big time. In addition I use a pad to protect the back of my neck when doing squats or standing calf raises.

Looking great btw!
    “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• irish_2003
      Vet
      • Oct 2011

I just got diagnosed with cervical stenosis after car accident but left side body tingling 4 years when i thought I had a stroke but they missed it and neurologist couldn't figure why I was experiencing this...you're not alone bro...you look great...as we get older (myself turn 50 in march) we have to adapt to what the body allows

Comment

• MindlessWork
        • Aug 2011

I'm almost 60 and the hurts are slowly starting to come for me, with early stage DDD in my lower back as well as an oh so slightly displaced fracture in my neck (Doc says 1mm displacement so still get stingers there when I put bar across my shoulders for squats or goodmornings). Good time to change things up when the hurts start.
        “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• DrX
          VET
          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by MindlessWork
          Great you found the solution to your neck woes, and perhaps others who have cervical stenosis can see if this can also help them. I also have some neck issues but not stenosis and shrugging with chin down helped big time. In addition I use a pad to protect the back of my neck when doing squats or standing calf raises.

Looking great btw!
          Thank you...

I was never in pain. But once the nervous system issues were triggered they became random. I could just be sitting still and the right side would go numb. It would last for a few seconds up to 4 or five minutes. Sometimes it happened a couple of times a day and others over twenty times. It then became a game of why.

My first move was to switch chefs/sources and products for fear of toxic poisoning. Once that was ruled out it went to diet related. I eliminated all caffeine which was difficult. But that was the VERY best outcome of this ordeal. I am now caffeine free. I also looked into my non nutritive sweeteners and food color dyes. Tried to see if there was a connection there too. This occurred over 6 months with no relief.

Next was to rethink my training habits. What I have come to realize was a couple of things. First to remove any compressional loads on the neck. That even included standing calf raises with the pads on the neck. Second, learn to tuck that chin down while shrugging. Next and maybe just as important was to get cross frictional therapy done on my traps and neck muscles to break apart any and all scar tissue. And there were a ton of ropes and tight muscles holding the neck hostage.

I do believe a combination of both training adjustments and the therapy were the key to resolving these issues.

Comment

• Roughrydr
            • Oct 2017

Ive found i cant do upright rows. My traps get swole and gives me severe headaches. Glad the fix is such an easy one for you.
            OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• DrX
              VET
              • Oct 2021

Originally posted by irish_2003
              I just got diagnosed with cervical stenosis after car accident but left side body tingling 4 years when i thought I had a stroke but they missed it and neurologist couldn't figure why I was experiencing this...you're not alone bro...you look great...as we get older (myself turn 50 in march) we have to adapt to what the body allows
              A stroke or heart condition was exactly what the doctors initially thought. I really cant emphasize this enough. Re-think all exercises that produce any kind of compressional force at the neck. Second, find a chiropractor that specializes in cross frictional therapy. The basic adjustments will do you no good. They must be able to break apart that scar tissue running through your neck, traps and jaws. And I will warn you... Cross frictional therapy is one of the most painful experiences you will face...

Comment

Working...