Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    VET
    • Feb 2017

He is getting a life lesson. He hasn't admitted it but I believe he would take a gut wretching hockey practice about now. He came in from work last night at 5:30, showered, ate and was in bed by 8:30. No need for a work out last night. He hauled materials down a staircase for more that 1/2 a day and did demolition the rest of the day. Up with me at 5:00 this morning.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call for school as well. He keeps letting his math slide. Summer school for math again this year. I explained THIS is the type of career you have if you can't excel in studies. Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with labor, there isn't. He just needs to know the bargain. My girlfriends son is 21 and hated school. He is in refrigeration now and at 21 can take a pile of copper, sheet metal, a couple of motors and electric panels and build a refrigeration unit from the ground up. He is an amazing welder and will do well. He already has plans to open his own shop in AZ within 3 years, but this kid is up at 4 am and not home until 6 or 7 working for his Dad.

I got the same lesson when I was young. I left home at 16 because I was so smart right? I made it through an Associates degree and never went back to college. I have done extremely well but I regret never completing a 4 year degree. I was going back in the Fall of 2002. That spring my Ex got pregnant.

All this babbling to simply point out we must learn for ourselves. I am sure everyone of us old guys has a story to tell. Coulda, woulda, shouldas. Life is a grand challenge, and then you die.
    The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• water43
      Vet
      • Mar 2010

I hope things work out for the upcoming generation miy son dropped out of full scholarship engineering program after getting his AA degree then went to a university with 2 yrs left at a university , I always tried to give whatever it took pep talks ect. but he just didn't want to have to study anymore.....play video games chatwith his bummy freiinds that had no jobs or futures he explained to me his friends are doin just fine. I explained yes livin at home when there 30 and leachin off there parents to support their life choice.he wanted to be like them so now he works at Walmart nght , stock shelves but he is happy...drives a 35 yr old truck and lives paycheck to paycheck . he is still better off thenhis friends [ he has a job ] starting to understand the wjole concept of what he thru away.
      the right to try law is a title besides its all fiction "everything"

Comment

• Trafficdodger
        • Mar 2018

I went through something similar, I’ll post up later this afternoon - reminding myself to reply when I have a minute

Comment

• Trafficdodger
          • Mar 2018

I played football in college, but before I got there I had plenty of self-doubting moments.

In those moments, my parents always told me, “you’ve already done so much just to get here. Stick with it for one more session/term/season/whatever, write down your feelings nd reasoning now, and, afterwards, if you feel the same way you feel today, then make a decision. We’ll always support you, no matter what.”

In my case, it always ended up being a momentary weakness. And when I was done, I knew it. I can say that I have no regrets about how I left football

Now, after I was done, I still had the itch to compete, so I got into MMA. Close a door, open a widow kind of shit.

Moral - push him to stick it out one more time (whatever that is, a regular season, an off season team session, whatever). If he still wants to quit afterwards, cross that bridge when you guys get there. Impulsive decisions can be more regrettable than those well thought out.

Hope it works out the best way possible for you two.

Comment

• Dakota
            VET
            • Feb 2017

I tried to convince him to see it through this year as a 2nd year Midget as he had a banner year last year and would be the big dog this year. He didn't want to. It is too late now, evaluations have passed.

I see now that it was all about the girl. He didn't want to be at practice and games 6 days a week when there was vagina to chase. He asked to change schools for next fall last week. Not gonna happen.

He will regret his choice, especially if the squeeze doesn't work out and we all know how that first love thing works out right? He is working for me now and doesn't care for it because he is starting as a grunt. Being the bosses son brings no perqs. I told him he can quit but only after he has another job. After years of being a bust ass hard worker, early riser, with a great work ethic he is taking a turn. I guess it is the age.

I don't think he will be challenging the ol man soon though. We train together a couple times a week. It is a great motivator for me to show how much more I can lift and how many more reps I can pull. I think he is a little in awe of how much the old guy can still push and how BBers push through agony for those couple more reps.

I guess it won't matter a 100 years from now right?
            The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

Working...