Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
What would you be willing to pay for a gym membership?

I know we have at least one gym owner and several members here so what better place to ask? I also know there are many opinions as well as several ways to skin a cat. That being said, there is wisdom in many councilers and this board just gave me some great advice regarding friendships.

So, here is the history and the potential plan. My buddy purchased a 10k sf gym two yrs ago as it was taking on water. It was at one time thee place in town, all Hammer and Flex stuff, jungle and dbs to 150. But, after a series of bad owners and new commercial chain gyms taking over it lost members with every change. He bought it with the pitch of making it a hard corish gym, but folded on that idea initially and tried to compete with the big boys. But, he had no capital to invest, the A/C died in July after the building owner foreclosed on the building and on top he split the property with a gymnastics studio who had the other half. So, he shared the front desk, parking lot and bathrooms.

This had always been the way, but the gymnastics studio bought the building and as cool as they were started flexing a little bit making it more their place then the gyms. So, fast forward to my buddy asking me for advice. I said, if youre going to go down dont do it without a fight. Let's go with your original vision and go a little more hard core. He changed the name, moved things around, put up a wall so we could crank the tunes and we actually gained 200 members, but it was too little too late. We still were hemoraging money and answering to the the gymnastics studio and paying $7sf plus competing with planet fitness and two 24 hr fitness. So, when it came time to renew the lease the equiptment went into storage at my buddies wharehouse.

So, for three months he has looked for investors, but unless he could move it to some undeveloped area no one wants to touch it. We are in the burbs of Kansas City and flooded with commercial chains. There are two crappy gyms in my town, but people go there because well its all we got. The equiptment is old and one owner is a tool and the other bought the place because the previous owner couldnt foot the bill on 20k sf. Thats were I am at, but hate it.

Then two weeks ago, i said baby lets look for a small place to rent and i will buy a rack n bench and get a few friends to help pay the rent. Then I had a few rum n cokes and before i knew it I was meeting with him to propose a 3 to 5k place in some shitty wharehouse for serious lifters ala metroflex. Bare bones, clean, no selfies or gym bros. I think we can find an affordable location close to a major intersection and he is willing to part with some stuff, but the key would be memebrship fees would need to be like $60 month. I know most will shit on that but that's ok as we dont need or want everyone. I polled my friends and there are the more committed type who arent there to flirt or watch tiny guys post insagram pics and they would be in for 60. One even said, $100 but lets keep it real.

Anyway, burgers are done so I will wait to replies and comment more later.

Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Honestly, gym memberships are dirt cheap. Especially for serious lifters. 60/MTH is nothing if it meets my need. If it has exactly what I need and has mostly serious lifters, I be more than willing to pay 100/MTH. There aren't hardly any gyms out there like that any more. I know you want us to be serious but I am. I pay 200-250 a week on groceries. So 100/MTH for a REAL gym membership, you bet I will!!!
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Honestly, gym memberships are dirt cheap. Especially for serious lifters. 60/MTH is nothing if it meets my need. If it has exactly what I need and has mostly serious lifters, I be more than willing to pay 100/MTH. There aren't hardly any gyms out there like that any more. I know you want us to be serious but I am. I pay 200-250 a week on groceries. So 100/MTH for a REAL gym membership, you bet I will!!!
Thanks Big B, many bros say they are serious and complain about gym bros, but spend zero on supps (not even a multi) and lift at planet fitness. Even on boards it can be that way lol. I tried a crossfit gym and couldnt squat there cuz I could only fit 405 of bumper plates on their bars. They were great people, but I am here to lift heavy stuff and not take selfies or wait for a gym bro who likes showing his nips in his cut off shirt finish up.

Guys like you are who we need and we would only need 3to400 to cut a decent profit @ $60. But, the 60 also weeds out the gym brahs. Some would go, hey the gym down the street only charges 30/month plus a $50 sign up fee and a $75 annual gym improvement fee so no way I'd pay $60. And thats ok, because not everyone would pay $5 for a coffee, but Starbucks doesnt need every coffee drinker, just enough.

For us, there are other serious gym, but none within 30 minutes of us and 300k people. So, we would be an anomaly in our locality.

Hawk
Old 06-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Dawgpound_Hank

Depends on how much competition there is in the area. If my choices were only Planet Fitness , Anytime Fitness and a hardcore gym, I'd fork out the $60 per month for the hardcore. $100? IMO, pushing it. Maybe if they supply me with a vial of test quarterly.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
For us, there are other serious gym, but none within 30 minutes of us and 300k people. So, we would be an anomaly in our locality.

Hawk
Considering THAT, I can't see you guys having any problemo whatsoever. 300k is a nice size city, and who dafuq want's to drive friggin' 30 minutes when you have local? Not I.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:38 AM   #6
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I pay 35/mt but I live in a small city with a bunch of gyms so the prices here have to be competitive. I have a membership at the University also.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
G21
VET

G21 will become famous soon enough
For a hardcore gym, atmosphere, good equipment, $60 month - No problem!

There are a couple small hardcore gyms in my area, they are "key" gyms though - your membership fees get you 24hr access after your first year. After im cleared from shoulder surgery, im signing up; I dont do well in over crowded, crappy commercial gyms.
G21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
Bigpapapumpaf
VET

Bigpapapumpaf will become famous soon enoughBigpapapumpaf will become famous soon enough
Here's the problem with the gym business. You really, really, really have to know your costs. Its one thing to say OK, it's $60 month but lets assume you get 500 people. That's only $360,000 a year. Is that going to be enough to cover all of your overhead? Equipment, utilities, insurance, payroll, repairs, replacements, etc? Planet Fitness survives because they more than over sell their capacity and also charge a yearly fee. That yearly fee is their profit margin. If you start at 500 people, what happens when 100 drop out? Or 50 can't pay on time?

Send me your zip code and I will pull a demographic report of your area that shows the need for and how much is spent on gym memberships. YOu might have 300,000 people but if there is no money spent on gyms, you're heading for trouble.

Back to your question, I pay for 3 gyms. One that is very small but I love the equipment, the other a huge spa like setting that has the best cardio equipment in town plus steam room and another one that my wife uses while watching her kid play hockey. So, we're about $200 a month in memberships. I pay for what I want but also like to switch things up every once in awhile. I am not loyal to any particular gym as they are all different. It takes one bad day from the owner, or a group of dickheads in the pit or too many fags and I'm on to the next one.

BPP
Bigpapapumpaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
I pay the $10 a month at what used to be Golds but is now a private owned gym. I havent been going there much lately. The perfect gym member. Pay my monthly, and my annual, but never use it. Stupid I know. But I keep telling myself I'm tired of the heat, the rain, the mosquitoes in my back yard. But I have a hard time walking into the gym. It feels so friggin corporate, like its this fake machine that's trying to suck the life out of me.
Also there are lots of hot women there that seem to like big muscled biker types and I tend to get distracted very easily and wind up going home with one of them for a "protein shake." Or to eat chocolate chip cookies and say we didnt.��
But I would pay up to $45 for a real hard core environment. There is one in the area but I would have to drive over an hour to get there when I can just go home, use my prison yard weight setup which has yielded great results for me. But yeah, for me, a lower income, ex convict, Outlaw type, $45 would be about it for me with my current situation.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
Considering THAT, I can't see you guys having any problemo whatsoever. 300k is a nice size city, and who dafuq want's to drive friggin' 30 minutes when you have local? Not I.
There are no good gyms period, even the private ones have swear jars on the counter if you cuss during your workout

Hawk
Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpapapumpaf View Post
Here's the problem with the gym business. You really, really, really have to know your costs. Its one thing to say OK, it's $60 month but lets assume you get 500 people. That's only $360,000 a year. Is that going to be enough to cover all of your overhead? Equipment, utilities, insurance, payroll, repairs, replacements, etc? Planet Fitness survives because they more than over sell their capacity and also charge a yearly fee. That yearly fee is their profit margin. If you start at 500 people, what happens when 100 drop out? Or 50 can't pay on time?

Send me your zip code and I will pull a demographic report of your area that shows the need for and how much is spent on gym memberships. YOu might have 300,000 people but if there is no money spent on gyms, you're heading for trouble.

Back to your question, I pay for 3 gyms. One that is very small but I love the equipment, the other a huge spa like setting that has the best cardio equipment in town plus steam room and another one that my wife uses while watching her kid play hockey. So, we're about $200 a month in memberships. I pay for what I want but also like to switch things up every once in awhile. I am not loyal to any particular gym as they are all different. It takes one bad day from the owner, or a group of dickheads in the pit or too many fags and I'm on to the next one.

BPP
I will shoot you a pm, but two things. The guys did ownnthe gym for over two years and is doing the p/l. I am indifferent to a point, but the issue I have in these discussions is that everyone wants to use the quick mart coffee model and not the Starbucks model. I own my own contracting bizz (i know apples and oranges) but I charge more and do way less volume while focusing on customer service and I do ok

So, while I am not an authority, i am really put off by the corporate model. You are either the same as McDonalds and by default less than or differant. If you are different than you play by your rules and not thiers. The key as you said is the overhead and hell if we cant get the numbers I'll just rent a garage for me and some buddies. I have no dog in this fight at the moment.

Hawk
Old 06-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #12
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
I have a membership at the University also.
damn, had a friend been begging me to go to a local University as he was bragging about it. Finally gave in and wow, NICE! Had everything in health & fitness industry you can think of...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
damn, had a friend been begging me to go to a local University as he was bragging about it. Finally gave in and wow, NICE! Had everything in health & fitness industry you can think of...
Yeah, Missouri Uv has a kick ass gym, but 2 hrs is a long commute LOL. I think there are a good cross section of gym people who would prefer a more personal and serious environment. Its not about getting all of them, just enough.

Hawk
Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
I am going through the process of buying a gym, and the memberships currently are $25 month. And this place is definitely geared towards lifters, but we'd never get $60 month. The doors would be closed before a year. The thing is guys like us would be willing to pay the $60 month but we are few and far between in this generation. $60 is very high, considering most all the gyms around here excluding planet shitness are getting between $20-40 month. The latter being all inclusive(tanning, guest privileges, steam room, group classes etc.) And these gyms have big boy weights too.

If you don't mind driving a little look for an area that needs a gym or needs a better gym. For an idea we're going to add a crossfit section/ functional training area because the market calls for it today. People love it. I hate it, but it's big up here and it would be stupid to alienate that part of the market. Think of ways to reach out to more people to entice them rather than raise the rates.

You don't want to scare people off. The goal is members not personalities. Student discounts, police/fire discounts. Donate old equipment to schools, fire, and police if you have any. Get involved in the community. I know the usps has an every door direct mail service where you can send a flyer to every address in whatever towns you choose. Throw 2 free passes on every flyer to get people in the door. Have a refer a friend program for current members and give them say 2 free months. This gives them incentive to get their friends to join. Juice bar/protein is a must. Throw a questionnaire on the front desk when you open to ask what you can do to make the place better? Remember not everyone works out like us here at this board. I see people doing some weird shit, but if they're happy to pay the membership to do their weird shit then have at it. Hope this helps.
b52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
I am going through the process of buying a gym, and the memberships currently are $25 month. And this place is definitely geared towards lifters, but we'd never get $60 month. The doors would be closed before a year. The thing is guys like us would be willing to pay the $60 month but we are few and far between in this generation. $60 is very high, considering most all the gyms around here excluding planet shitness are getting between $20-40 month. The latter being all inclusive(tanning, guest privileges, steam room, group classes etc.) And these gyms have big boy weights too.

If you don't mind driving a little look for an area that needs a gym or needs a better gym. For an idea we're going to add a crossfit section/ functional training area because the market calls for it today. People love it. I hate it, but it's big up here and it would be stupid to alienate that part of the market. Think of ways to reach out to more people to entice them rather than raise the rates.

You don't want to scare people off. The goal is members not personalities. Student discounts, police/fire discounts. Donate old equipment to schools, fire, and police if you have any. Get involved in the community. I know the usps has an every door direct mail service where you can send a flyer to every address in whatever towns you choose. Throw 2 free passes on every flyer to get people in the door. Have a refer a friend program for current members and give them say 2 free months. This gives them incentive to get their friends to join. Juice bar/protein is a must. Throw a questionnaire on the front desk when you open to ask what you can do to make the place better? Remember not everyone works out like us here at this board. I see people doing some weird shit, but if they're happy to pay the membership to do their weird shit then have at it. Hope this helps.
Hey b52, first thanks for chiming in and I am going to politely and respectively disagree. Here is another take, first if you are buying a gym that is set up like a corporate gym then yeah you have to play buy their rules and prices. Why, because they are your competition because you are trying to offer the same thing so how can you do anything different..you're appealing to the masses. But, by that logic Audi, Five Guys Burgers and Buckle should have been driven out of bussiness.

Not everyone views cars, burgers, jeans or gyms the same. We failed the last time because we tried to compete with them and had to play buy their rules...ie an ever expanding inventory and dirt cheap memberships. But, if like the aforementioned companies we relaunch as a new thing offering quality over quantity then price is secondary. Why, because its a niche market like crossfit $135 a month, The Sweatte Shop $150 month or maybe less specialized places like Joe DeFranco or Wesley Kieths place. There is a market for the serious gym in our market surrounded by Planet Fitness and 24hr as well as some others. But, we also have bbers strongmen and plers as well as HS and other athletes who feel out of place at those places.

Ok, here is the part where I agree. If you buy a gym, it already has a personality, price point and expectations. Trying to change that was our mistake and led to the demise of the gym. Ironically though we picked up one new member for each one we lost, but it was not enough to sustain our large overhead and no one wanted to pay the additional ten bucks. But, we tried to change the branding the gym had for 12 years. But, we had to try something at the end. So, your point is well recieved, but there are exceptions in my opinion.

Respectfully,
Hawk