Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Training
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
HDH

HDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the rough
Mind to muscle

This is a subject I enjoy. Here is a link to pubmed.com on it. It's 4 or 5 years old so some have probably seen it already. If you don't want to go to the link, read directly under it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26700744/

Abstract

Purpose: This study evaluates whether focusing on using specific muscles during bench press can selectively activate these muscles.

Methods: Altogether 18 resistance-trained men participated. Subjects were
familiarized with the procedure and performed one-maximum repetition (1RM) test during the first session. In the second session, 3 different bench press conditions were performed with intensities of 20, 40, 50, 60 and 80 % of the pre-determined 1RM: regular bench press, and bench press focusing on selectively using the pectoralis major and triceps brachii, respectively. Surface electromyography (EMG) signals were recorded for the triceps brachii and pectoralis major muscles. Subsequently, peak EMG of the filtered signals were normalized to maximum maximorum EMG of each muscle.

Results: In both muscles, focusing on using the respective muscles increased muscle activity at relative loads between 20 and 60 %, but not at 80 % of 1RM. Overall, a threshold between 60 and 80 % rather than a linear decrease in selective activation with increasing intensity appeared to exist. The increased activity did not occur at the expense of decreased activity of the other muscle, e.g. when focusing on activating the triceps muscle the activity of the pectoralis muscle did not decrease. On the contrary, focusing on using the triceps muscle also increased pectoralis EMG at 50 and 60 % of 1RM.

Conclusion: Resistance-trained individuals can increase triceps brachii or
pectarilis major muscle activity during the bench press when focusing on using the specific muscle at intensities up to 60 % of 1RM. A threshold between 60 and 80 % appeared to exist.

I've gotten much better at it over the years using light to moderate weights. When I first started doing it I didn't realize I was even doing it. I was just concentrating on the contraction. Lats were the easiest for me to do in the beginning.

For anyone starting off I have found it's better to start off with isolation exercises. It's easier to focus on a single muscle rather than multiple with a compound movement. Pub Med says it can be achieved at 20% to 80% of our 1RM. Personally I feel it best from 40% to 60% at best guess. Too much weight and it becomes impossible to focus on the squeeze the whole way through the movement. Not enough and it doesn't do enough damage to stimulate proper growth.

I keep everything under control and focus on the squeeze. As the workout goes on and I'm using the same weight, my percentages will go down. If your not sure if you are doing it or not, you probably aren't. You know it when you got it.
HDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
The whole process of the mind|muscle connection is called visualization. Arnold made this concept popular early in the 70's, via his "I think of my biceps as mountains when I train them". Using visualization is so automatic for me now since I've been doing it since a teen, after reading Arnold talking about it in Muscle & Power mag.

Of all the muscle groups, IMO the most important to implement this concept is when working the lats. Simply bcoz outside of variations of the pullover, all lat exercises utilize the biceps. And it shows - how many times do you see guys doing pullups, pulldowns, etc, yet they still have no lats? If one can reallly focus, and think of "pushing" their elbows down and back, vs pulling the weight, it helps to lessen biceps involvement. Another trick is to think of ones hands and arms as "hooks" when doing a pullup, row or pulldown, and those hooks are to move the weight with the lats.

I also dig this discussion also - thanks for the post HDH.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
IMO this is an awesome techique. It is a great way to get the pump you need to break down your muscle. I never really grasped the concept until I started using lighter weights with more reps. Keeping tension throughout the movement is key and I agree that once you start to go heavy you begin to lose the connection. Great for hypertrophy.

Thanks for posting.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
HDH

HDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the great replies fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
The whole process of the mind|muscle connection is called visualization. Arnold made this concept popular early in the 70's, via his "I think of my biceps as mountains when I train them". Using visualization is so automatic for me now since I've been doing it since a teen, after reading Arnold talking about it in Muscle & Power mag.

Of all the muscle groups, IMO the most important to implement this concept is when working the lats. Simply bcoz outside of variations of the pullover, all lat exercises utilize the biceps. And it shows - how many times do you see guys doing pullups, pulldowns, etc, yet they still have no lats? If one can reallly focus, and think of "pushing" their elbows down and back, vs pulling the weight, it helps to lessen biceps involvement. Another trick is to think of ones hands and arms as "hooks" when doing a pullup, row or pulldown, and those hooks are to move the weight with the lats.

I also dig this discussion also - thanks for the post HDH.
I remember Arnold saying that as well. It must have been in an old video or in his bodybuilding encyclopedia. I'm one of those guys that has probably read 4 or 5 books all the way through in my life, Arnold's encyclopedia just happened to be one of them

I agree with lessening the bicep involvement. I think some guys like the involvement to pull more weight instead of focusing. It also lessens grip/forearm involvement. When you take those out you use less energy and oxygen. Given it's small muscle groups and not a lot of energy or oxygen but these things add up over years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01dragonslayer View Post
IMO this is an awesome techique. It is a great way to get the pump you need to break down your muscle. I never really grasped the concept until I started using lighter weights with more reps. Keeping tension throughout the movement is key and I agree that once you start to go heavy you begin to lose the connection. Great for hypertrophy.

Thanks for posting.
This is pretty much my whole program these days. Keeps me away from the heavy shit. I look big and strong but some days I feel like a glass house.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:17 AM   #5
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Very good posts. Sports psychologists working with pro, college and Olympic athletes have thought these methods for decades.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
HDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
Very good posts. Sports psychologists working with pro, college and Olympic athletes have thought these methods for decades.
Ya, it only took decades for the study.

And keto is the new craze
Old 06-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
riginal Articles
The Effects of Imagery Training on Swimming Performance: An Applied Investigation
Phillip Post , Sean Muncie & Duncan Simpson
Pages 323-337 | Received 20 Jul 2011, Accepted 19 Nov 2011, Accepted author version posted online: 22 Dec 2011, Published online:07 Jun 2012

Download citation https://doi.org/10.1080/10413200.2011.643442

Abstract

A multiple-baseline design was used to examine the influence of an imagery intervention on the performance of swimmers’ times on a thousand-yard practice set. Performance times for four swimmers were collected over a 15-week period during preseason training. The intervention took place over a 3-week period and was introduced after the fourth week of the study. The results revealed that three out of four participants significantly improved their times on the one thousand-yard practice set after being introduced to the imagery intervention. The results are discussed in terms of the implications of using imagery to improve athlete's performance on continuous tasks.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
liftsiron
Administrator

Mental imagery training: Effects on running speed performance.

Journal Article Database: APA PsycInfo
Burhans, Rollins S. Richman, Charles L. Bergey, Donald B.
Citation
Burhans, R. S., Richman, C. L., & Bergey, D. B. (1988). Mental imagery training: Effects on running speed performance. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 19(1), 26–37.
Abstract

Assessed the effects of single and combined cognitive strategies on long-distance running speeds over a 12-wk training period in 36 male and 29 female college students (aged 17–22 yrs). Ss were assigned to 1 of 4 different conditions (skills, results, results/skills, or control). Running speeds were superior over the initial 4 wks of training for the internal (skills) imagery group relative to controls; no significant differences were evident for the motivational, psyching-up (results) group, or the combined results/skills group. All groups showed the same level of improvement by the end of the 12 wks of training. Gender differences and anxiety/stress effects were also noted. (French, Spanish, German & Italian abstracts) (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
liftsiron
Administrator

Enhancing Grit Through Functional Imagery Training in Professional Soccer
in The Sport Psychologist
Jonathan Rhodes * , 1 , Jon May * , 1 , Jackie Andrade * , 1 and David Kavanagh * , 2
View More

DOI:
https://doi.org/10.1123/tsp.2017-0093

behavior change; motivational interviewing; professional soccer

In Print:
Volume 32: Issue 3

Restricted access

Functional imagery training (FIT) extends multisensory imagery training by involving athletes with goal setting and appraisal. The authors measured the effect of FIT on 24 professional soccer players’ grit, a personality trait associated with perseverance for a long-term goal. In a stepped-wedge design, an immediate (n = 9) and a delayed (n = 10) group received FIT at Week 1 or 6 and were measured at Week 12. A self-selected control group (n = 5) received no intervention. The delayed group was also measured at Week 6 just before their intervention, and at Week 18. Grit scores in both intervention groups increased after the intervention, but the control group’s did not. The delayed group increased in grit between Weeks 6 and 12, showing the effectiveness of the intervention over a relatively short time, and continued to improve to Week 18. In the intervention groups, vividness of goal imagery also increased and players perceived that FIT improved sport performance.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
HDH

Interesting.

I had to google it to know what it really was. If anyone else is unsure, here is an example I found and a link to the read. It's just one of the first things I pulled up.

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/mental.htm

How do I apply mental imagery?

Golfer Jack Nicklaus used mental imagery for every shot. In describing how he imagines his performance, he wrote:

"I never hit a shot even in practice without having a sharp in-focus picture of it in my head. It is like a colour movie. First, I "see" the ball where I want it to finish, nice and white and sitting up high on the bright green grass. Then the scene quickly changes, and I "see" the ball going there: its path, trajectory, and shape, even its behaviour on landing. Then there's a sort of fade-out, and the next scene shows me making the kind of swing that will turn the previous images into reality and only at the end of this short private Hollywood spectacular do I select a club and step up to the ball."
Old 06-06-2020, 04:21 AM   #11
liftsiron
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDH View Post
Interesting.

I had to google it to know what it really was. If anyone else is unsure, here is an example I found and a link to the read. It's just one of the first things I pulled up.

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/mental.htm

How do I apply mental imagery?

Golfer Jack Nicklaus used mental imagery for every shot. In describing how he imagines his performance, he wrote:

"I never hit a shot even in practice without having a sharp in-focus picture of it in my head. It is like a colour movie. First, I "see" the ball where I want it to finish, nice and white and sitting up high on the bright green grass. Then the scene quickly changes, and I "see" the ball going there: its path, trajectory, and shape, even its behaviour on landing. Then there's a sort of fade-out, and the next scene shows me making the kind of swing that will turn the previous images into reality and only at the end of this short private Hollywood spectacular do I select a club and step up to the ball."
I firmly believe mental imagery/visualization works. Arnold always talked about it.