Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
A few good sci-fi's

Like most dudes I am a sci fi junky. These may not be new, but in hopes of finding more suggestions from the board I thought I would throw these up.

"2036 Origin Unknown" a low budget film on Netflix staring Later Sackhoff. I was hoping that suffering through the semi ok special effects and cinematography would pay off and it did. Much like "The Cube" the ending was better than I hoped. 3.5 out of 5

"Altered Carbon" a top notch Netflix series starring Joel Kinnaman and James Purefoy and my vote for best sci first serious in the last decade or longer. It has plenty of well done action scenes and a bit too much sex and gore for my taste (Not sparticus amounts but close). This one was so good I watched it twice. 5 out of 5

"The Expanse" on Amazon is a more traditional sci fi with several smaller stars but their are a few seasons available and it is pretty clean and enjoys a large universe. As far as series go I would give it 4 out of 5.

"Happy" on sci fi may belong in the fantasy genre but how do you classify a drunk hitman played by James Meloni who sees his daughters imaginary unicorn friend played by Patton Oswalt. This show is both dark and hilarious. A total dude show. 5 of 5 in my book.

Please chime in with any suggestions,
Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I will check them out, I just finished the available episodes of Hanna.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
Funny, I just started watching Hannah yesterday...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
blm
Vet

blm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura about
Love sci fi and fantasy. I plan on watching Hannah after I finish my current obsession, American Gods.

Fkn great series if you like fantasy. An ensuing battle
of modern day Gods (incarnate of technology, media, internet) vs the old mythological Gods (reincarnate). Brilliant series. Great cast. Brutal violence and sex.

It's on Starz. I ended up doing a free trial on my fire stick. I'll probably keep it a month for $9 to finish the second series.
blm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
GoldLine
Banned

GoldLine is on a distinguished road
a movie on netflix called titan was ok.

american gods lost me this last season
GoldLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
jalakes
VET

jalakes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
So, how was the series compared to the movie? My wife an I liked the movie so we thought we would check out the series. We watched the first episode but were unsure if we wanted to invest all that time watching the rest of it.
jalakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Massive G
VET

Massive G has a spectacular aura aboutMassive G has a spectacular aura about
Altered Carbon is awesome just started binge watching it based on c-hawks review...huge blade runner fan and the scenes are remarkably similar and special effects incredible.
Could do without all the nudity - meaning naked dudes LOL.
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Sabaki
VET

Sabaki will become famous soon enough
I'm probably one of the few on this board to remember Kubrick's 2001, which was light-years ahead of its time when it first came out, and still holds up remarkably well after all this time, except for the psychedelic sequence at the end which now admittedly looks dated. I still consider 2001 to be the GOAT of the genre. Star Wars was another milestone and genre game-changer, which I saw the day it premiered in 1977. Spielgerg, of course, did great work. I personally thought Minority Report was one of the best. Solaris both the original by Tarkovsky and the remake with George Clooney deserve to be mentioned. Bladerunner was already mentioned. There have been many good sci-fi movies. Children of Men was excellent, and I especially liked Christopher Nolan's Inception and Interstellar. I also liked The Martian. I like movies with a good plot that explore interesting ideas more than non-stop action. One sleeper worth checking out, despite being rather slow-paced for modern audiences, is Moon, should be on Netflix, etc.

Though I loved Interstellar, I'm not really looking forward to the sequel (or is it a prequel?). I could be wrong about this, of course, but I think that some good movies should just stand on their own, without the studios trying to milk them just to get more and more cheddar.

Last edited by Sabaki; 04-21-2019 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: addition
Sabaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Sabaki
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalakes View Post
So, how was the series compared to the movie? My wife an I liked the movie so we thought we would check out the series. We watched the first episode but were unsure if we wanted to invest all that time watching the rest of it.
I saw all of the episodes. The first was the best. In later episodes you could tell the writers were just trying to stretch out the premise in order to fill a full season. Some episodes were better than others. The season ends in a rather predictable way setting up the possibility of a second season, which I think I will skip when it comes out.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
Massive G
VET

Massive G has a spectacular aura aboutMassive G has a spectacular aura about
2001 was probably the greatest one ever made ...special effects were stellar 1968?
I work with a guys that is in his early 1960's he told me to this day he remembers going to see 2001 in theatres and people were just blown away in their seats.
I am a sucker for detail ...I loved the space station, the pan am shuttles, the video phones, voice print id anti-gravity toilets ....some really mind boggling stuff.
I think one of the primary reasons apple lost it's patent fight against everyone else was because of this movie. I read an article many years ago that apple was claiming the right to the tablet, but it was noted that in 2001 the astronauts were viewing tablets while they were eating.
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
Sabaki
VET

Like many, I'm really looking forward to the final season of GOT. I read that S8E1 broke all previous viewership records when it aired last week with 18 million viewers, not counting streaming platforms like Roku and Apple TV (not to mention pirate streams). This success will only lead to the production of more, better quality fantasy and scifi content.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #12
Sabaki
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive G View Post
2001 was probably the greatest one ever made ...special effects were stellar 1968?
I work with a guys that is in his early 1960's he told me to this day he remembers going to see 2001 in theatres and people were just blown away in their seats.
I am a sucker for detail ...I loved the space station, the pan am shuttles, the video phones, voice print id anti-gravity toilets ....some really mind boggling stuff.
I think one of the primary reasons apple lost it's patent fight against everyone else was because of this movie. I read an article many years ago that apple was claiming the right to the tablet, but it was noted that in 2001 the astronauts were viewing tablets while they were eating.
I could not agree more my friend. It is nearly impossible for people nowadays to understand just how far ahead of its time 2001 was in the 1960s. Color TV had just come out. Most TV sets were still B&W and virtually all TV shows were still B&W. PCs and cell phones were nonexistent, and most people at that time never even imagined that such devices would ever exist or be commonplace.
The film had such an impact on me when I first saw it (on a giant screen in cinemascope, the IMAX of that time) that to this day, 5 decades later, I still can not forget the images of that space station floating in space with the Blue Danube playing in the background. Up until then special effects consisted of clunky mechanical robots and cheesey-looking claymation. However, this is one film that absolutely has to be seen on a big screen to be appreciated. Please don't make the mistake of trying to watch it on a laptop or tablet!
Old 05-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaki View Post
I'm probably one of the few on this board to remember Kubrick's 2001, which was light-years ahead of its time when it first came out, and still holds up remarkably well after all this time, except for the psychedelic sequence at the end which now admittedly looks dated. I still consider 2001 to be the GOAT of the genre. Star Wars was another milestone and genre game-changer, which I saw the day it premiered in 1977. Spielgerg, of course, did great work. I personally thought Minority Report was one of the best. Solaris both the original by Tarkovsky and the remake with George Clooney deserve to be mentioned. Bladerunner was already mentioned. There have been many good sci-fi movies. Children of Men was excellent, and I especially liked Christopher Nolan's Inception and Interstellar. I also liked The Martian. I like movies with a good plot that explore interesting ideas more than non-stop action. One sleeper worth checking out, despite being rather slow-paced for modern audiences, is Moon, should be on Netflix, etc.

Though I loved Interstellar, I'm not really looking forward to the sequel (or is it a prequel?). I could be wrong about this, of course, but I think that some good movies should just stand on their own, without the studios trying to milk them just to get more and more cheddar.
I just watched Moon for the first time and loved the story, but for me there was some places that were just too slow. Martian was also great as was 2001. I agree it was a pioneer with star wars and I think Alien was also way ahead of it's time with special effects and the way it involved your senses in building suspense. Water dripping, chains rattling, a dirty space craft.

Great stuff,
Hawk
Old 05-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive G View Post
Altered Carbon is awesome just started binge watching it based on c-hawks review...huge blade runner fan and the scenes are remarkably similar and special effects incredible.
Could do without all the nudity - meaning naked dudes LOL.
Yeah, perfect comparison. They were definitely inspired by blade runner. I won't complain as 2049 was a bit of a let down for me.

Many won't like this and the movie was only a 3 out of 5 but I loved the concept of Event Horizon. Basically the ship crosses into an evil dimension so it's more of a horror. The thing that holds this back is the writing. The final scene could have been better. But worth the watch if it's free to you.

Hawk
Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #15
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
I'm loving Altered Carbon. 4 episodes in and hooked.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote