Checkers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Checkers

So I'm teaching my son chess. We play a couple games and my wife wants to play a game of checkers. So we play, she gets a king, and tries some funny shit. She jumps all the way across the board to take one of my dudes. I'm like wtf is that? So she thinks I don't even know how to play since I don't know about that.

So we make a bet, she brings a YT vid up and sure enough she is right! Come to find out, checkers, unlike chess, have national rules only. In some countries, you can even move a king sideways and forward like you can a rook in chess. Also, instead of moving a king one space, or jumping a piece immediate next to you, you can jump a piece even 5 squares away. That's the way she was taught in Asia. I told her we're in America now babe so I just kicked yo ass American rules. Anybody else know of these varying rules around the globe?

I'm feeling old now - 2 games with Jr, explaining the game, castling, En Passant, blah blah, and 2 games of checkers with the wife and I hve a headache. In my 20's I used to take guys money playing chess all day. First time I've played either in prolly 20 years.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2019, 09:41 PM.
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

Yeah. In prison guys would play by all kinds of rules. I have seen the king be able to jump several spaces, to make a capture, as long as those spaces were not occupied.
    I believe it's called the flying king.
    But I've never seen a king move like a rook. Never even heard of that.
    My wife doesnt argue much any more since shes unsure of things. But Red, I argue with her all the time. I've found d she is usually right.
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Paramuscle
      • Mar 2018

I played chess a lot when I as younger but I have probably only tried checkers a couple of times. Checkers isn’t interesting at all to me for some reason. But.... I do agree with the wife being right part, at least when I am home....

~PM

Comment

• Joe0690
        Vet
        • Mar 2007

Never knew about different Checker rules.... loved chess growing up think it’s great your teaching your son chess....

Comment

Working...