I have been getting HRT from doc and my blood work shows....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • black7
    Vet
    • Feb 2007

I have been getting HRT from doc and my blood work shows....

Increasing test levels, but all 4 of the tests show consistently low MCH and MCV levels. The blood work has been done over an 8 month period.

I called the nurse to ask her about it and she said she will run it by the doc.

They called me a few minutes ago and asked me to come back in. I am nervous as shit now.

I know I aint supposed to diagnose my self on the internet, but searches show either iron deficiency (which I dont think deserves call in visit) or hypothyroidism.

What do you guys know about low MCH and MCV?

I know there are some really smart folks here and a few doctors even.

Please help guys.

By the way sorry I dont post much. I got a new job and two kids now. Its hard to be on the PC these days.
    Last edited by black7; 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM.
    Tempus fugit, Carpe diem.

• Beef Newton
    VET
    • Nov 2018

MCV is the size of your red blood cells, and MCH is the amount of hemoglobin found in those red blood cells. MCH is directly affected by MCV. Have you been getting phlebotomies or donating blood? If so, you need to be on iron, because either one devastates ferritin levels. How is your hematocrit? My guess is you are on your way to anemia, but it can be halted and reversed with a good iron supplement. If any of this hits the mark, you also need to start getting an iron panel (with ferritin) to make sure you aren't taking too much iron. It takes months to reverse low iron and anemia.

I went through this myself because I was self-phlebotomizing without keeping track of my blood chemistry. I went full-blown anemic. All values dealing with red bloods cells were in the garbage, and it took a long time to recover.
    Last edited by Beef Newton; 04-09-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• black7
      Vet
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Beef Newton
      MCV is the size of your red blood cells, and MCH is the amount of hemoglobin found in those red blood cells. MCH is directly affected by MCV. Have you been getting phlebotomies or donating blood? If so, you need to be on iron, because either one devastates ferritin levels. How is your hematocrit? My guess is you are on your way to anemia, but it can be halted and reversed with a good iron supplement. If any of this hits the mark, you also need to start getting an iron panel (with ferritin) to make sure you aren't taking too much iron. It takes months to reverse low iron and anemia.
      MY hematocrit has been in the normal range for all test at 43-45. Normal range being 40-52.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Beef Newton
        VET
        • Nov 2018

Just how low were MCH and MCV? You might be in the beginning stages. If so, just keep an eye on it and try to get iron/ferritin levels checked next time.

Comment

• black7
          Vet
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Beef Newton
          Just how low were MCH and MCV? You might be in the beginning stages. If so, just keep an eye on it and try to get iron/ferritin levels checked next time.
          2-4 FL/PG per test. for each, and to answer your question I stopped donating blood years ago bcause I got sick after it. putting two and two together now lol
          Last edited by black7; 04-09-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

What are your exact values.The normal values for MCV are 87 ± 7 fl. MCH quantifies the amount of hemoglobin per red blood cell. The normal values for MCH are 29 ± 2 picograms (pg) per cell.

You may only need to eat some red meat and perhaps increase test or add a bit of eq and see what happens.
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• black7
              Vet
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by liftsiron
              What are your exact values.The normal values for MCV are 87 ± 7 fl. MCH quantifies the amount of hemoglobin per red blood cell. The normal values for MCH are 29 ± 2 picograms (pg) per cell.

You may only need to eat some red meat and perhaps increase test or add a bit of eq and see what happens.
              I was hoping you would say whew lol. I’m not in the gym now so I am just doing hrt bc I was low.

Comment

• black7
                Vet
                • Feb 2007

MCV IS 79

Comment

• liftsiron
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by black7
                  MCV IS 79
                  Personally I wouldn't be worried by 79.
                  ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• black7
                    Vet
                    • Feb 2007

OK THANKS MAN!

Comment

• Dakota
                      VET
                      • Feb 2017

Agreed.
                      The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Roughrydr
                        • Oct 2017

My iron levels are significantly low, to the point my dr had me on 375mg x 3 daily iron supp. He seemed more concerned than me. Keeps checking for blood loss in my stool. I'm getting tired of pooping on paper like a locked up dog.
                        OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• black7
                          Vet
                          • Feb 2007

Last edited by black7; 04-25-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...