• Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

A High Protein Diet Has No Harmful Effects:

Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
    Volume.2016.(2016), Article ID.9104792, 5 pages

A High Protein Diet Has No Harmful Effects: A One-Year Crossover Study in Resistance-Trained Males

Jose Antonio,.Anya Ellerbroek,.Tobin Silver,.Leonel Vargas,.Armando Tamayo,.Richard Buehn,.and Corey A. Peacock
    Exercise and Sport Science Laboratory, Nova Southeastern University, Davie, FL, USA

Received 1 July 2016; Accepted 20 September 2016
    Academic Editor: Michael B..Zemel

Copyright © 2016 Jose Antonio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract
    The purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of a high protein diet over a one-year period. Fourteen healthy resistance-trained men completed the study (mean ± SD; age yr; height cm; and average years of training yr). In a randomized crossover design, subjects consumed their habitual or normal diet for 2 months and 4 months and alternated that with a higher protein diet (>3 g/kg/d) for 2 months and 4 months. Thus, on average, each subject was on their normal diet for 6 months and a higher protein diet for 6 months. Body composition was assessed via the Bod Pod®. Each subject provided approximately 100–168 daily dietary self-reports. During the subjects’ normal eating phase, they consumed (mean ± SD)29.94 +/- 5.65 kcals/kg/day and 2.51 +/- 0.69 g/kg/day of protein. This significantly increased (p < 0.05) during the high protein phase to 34.37 +/- kcals/kg/day and 3.32 +/- 0.87 g/kg/day of protein. Our investigation discovered that, in resistance-trained men that consumed a high protein diet (~2.51–3.32 g/kg/d) for one year, there were no harmful effects on measures of blood lipids as well as liver and kidney function. In addition, despite the total increase in energy intake during the high protein phase, subjects did not experience an increase in fat mass.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • millenium girl
    • Apr 2006

I guess they are talking about whole foods high in protein and not protein shakes. I can't eat large quantities of food and I used to drink two double scooped shakes a day and was told that it was too much. What do you think, lifts?
    Don't forget to join
    http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
    http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by millenium girl
      I guess they are talking about whole foods high in protein and not protein shakes. I can't eat large quantities of food and I used to drink two double scooped shakes a day and was told that it was too much. What do you think, lifts?
      Unless you have kidney disease, I think it's a good idea for you. Will Brink has collected more than 5000 studies that show the same things as the study above.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• MR. BMJ
        • Apr 2006

Thanks, lifts! Meant to post this last night, but I fell asleep at my laptop

Comment

Working...