Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Health and medical articles
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
water43
Vet

water43 will become famous soon enough
piriformis sydrome

piriformis syndrome has anybody heard of this.....sucks very painful after hip injuries too ,does anybody have a thought to any weighted exercises I can do actualy this involves my hip and glute muscles thanks

Last edited by water43; 03-10-2017 at 10:35 AM..
water43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Sports Medicine
Piriformis Syndrome - Causes, Prevention, and Treatment
Cause and Treatment of Piriformis Syndrome

l

woman doing piriformis stretch outside on grass
Angelita Niedziejko/Moment/Getty Images

By Elizabeth Quinn
Updated August 26, 2016

Piriformis syndrome is neuromuscular condition that occurs when the muscle of the same name compresses the sciatic nerve.

Everyone has a flat, band-like muscle located in the buttocks near the top of the hip joint. This is the piriformis muscle. It stabilizes the hip joint and lifts and rotates the thigh away from the body when we walk, shift our weight from one foot to another, and helps maintain balance.

Because it is involved in every lower body motion, it is an important muscle.

The sciatic nerve is a nerve that passes alongside or goes through the piriformis muscle, travels down the back of the leg, and eventually branches off into smaller nerves that end in the feet.
How Piriformis Syndrome Occurs

Specifically, when the piriformis muscle becomes tight or cramps, pressure can be put on the sciatic nerve. Typically this pain increases when the muscle contracts, when sitting for an extended time, or direct pressure on the muscle. Gluteal (or buttock) pain is common. Pirformis syndrome is also a common cause of sciatica.
Piriformis Syndrome Causes

Shortening of the muscle and compression of the nerve is the most common cause of piriformis syndrome, but overuse of the glutes and other muscles in the hip can also cause muscle spasms of the piriformis. Other factors in this syndrome include poor body mechanics and posture, gait problems.

Pain can also be caused by prolonged external rotation of the hip, something that is common in ballet dancers so that the piriformis muscle is shortened. If the sciatic nerve is compressed for a long time there may be aching in the leg and pain in the low back.

Stretching and strengthening are the best treatments for piriformis syndrome.

This muscle rarely gets stretched, so a simply stretching routine can often work wonders.
Preventing and Treating Piriformis Syndrome

The easiest way to treat the pain of piriformis syndrome is to avoid positions or activities that cause it, such as prolonged sitting, walking with turned out feet, or walking up stairs. You may be able to alleviate the pain with rest, ice, and heat. Your doctor or physical therapist may recommend stretches which can help reduce the pressure on the sciatic nerve.

One could be the Piriformis Stretch. To do so, lay on your back, bend your knees and cross your right leg over your left so your right ankle rests on your left knee in a figure four position. Bring your left leg towards your chest by bending at the hip. Reach through and grab your left thigh to help pull things towards your chest.

If this doesn’t help relieve the pain go away, osteopathic manipulative treatment is an option as well as anti-inflammatory medications, muscle relaxants, or injections with a corticosteroid or anesthetic.

Other therapies tried by some doctors are iontophoresis, which uses a mild electric current, and botox injections. Using the paralytic properties of the botulinum toxin, botox injections is thought by some to relieve muscle tightness and sciatic nerve compression to minimize pain.

If none of these things work, surgery may be recommended as a last resort.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
ozzy69
Assistant Admin

ozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud of
Is this muscle attached to the vagina?
ozzy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Glycomann

That's one of the stretched my physio gave me for my back but I don't have sciatica. I think it helps though. Looking at the muscle that's exactly one of the muscles that is tight on me.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
tobyonekinobi
Vet

tobyonekinobi will become famous soon enough
do not get the surgery, my wife had it done and it didnt do shit. Find a good massage therapist that can release it. Basically you have to find someone that can stick their elbow on that spot then move your leg in a certain way and it will help it. Hard to find that person though. Everyone thinks they can do it but she only had one guy that could. The other option is active release technique. Or art they are usually in a chiropractic office. They may be able to help it. Its a bitch i know that she fought it for years then had the surgery.
tobyonekinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
blm
Vet

blm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura about
I fought this for over a year until it finally got so bad I could barely walk; nearly cost me my job. After 9 months of intense PT and Graston technique I got to a point where I could manage it myself. Some of the worst pain and physical limitation I've ever experienced.

That was a couple years ago and I'm 100%. It still gets triggered. When I feel the signs I hit the dense foam roller and specific stretches hard.
blm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
blm
Vet

blm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycomann View Post
That's one of the stretched my physio gave me for my back but I don't have sciatica. I think it helps though. Looking at the muscle that's exactly one of the muscles that is tight on me.

Dense foam roller hits that to the point of grinding your teeth. Life saver.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #8
water43
Vet

any body think that gear squats leg extensins stretch the shit out these fkrs and then eat more pain meds icy cold shower to help circulation could work ?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
myosaurus
Vet

myosaurus is a jewel in the roughmyosaurus is a jewel in the roughmyosaurus is a jewel in the roughmyosaurus is a jewel in the rough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFuErtM8t7s
this works. you need mobility in that area.
myosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
blm
Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosaurus View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFuErtM8t7s
this works. you need mobility in that area.
All the movements he does on the floor and box with the lacrosse ball I do with a dense foam roller. When it's inflamed it will bring tears to your eyes but it's incredibly effective.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
blm
Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by water43 View Post
any body think that gear squats leg extensins stretch the shit out these fkrs and then eat more pain meds icy cold shower to help circulation could work ?
No. It will cause further inflammation. Pain meds will only dull the pain not resolve the issue. Slow stretching specifically targeting the piriformis followed by hot-cold therapy will help release it and reduce inflammation. It's not an over night fix. It takes time. I was out of the gym for months.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
water43
Vet

well i'm gonna do whatever I have too !
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #13
tobyonekinobi
Vet

tobyonekinobi will become famous soon enough
Im telling you look up Active Release Technique in your area call the guy and see if he can release the piriformus. If he can its completely worth it. If he sounds fishy dont do it but if you can find someone it is night and day difference. Not going to fix it but over time with all the stretching and stuff it will get better. Got to release that thing though
tobyonekinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #14
water43
Vet

i'm wondering if I could have caused this by after a hip/femur injury I realy hit my hamstrings on a cycle a year later and they realy responed but then the pain came from the pirifomis/sciatic maybe I didn't stetch enouf
Old 03-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #15
BrutalHoney
VET

BrutalHoney will become famous soon enough
After wide squatting I used to HAVE to (and still should) do that stretch where you pull your knee across your chest. I would start with my other foot straight out. Then I'd pull that other foot all the way to my butt. Then I'd move it half way between. This was a must or I'd have trouble sleeping comfortably (on my side) that night.

You can also find a lacrosse or tennis ball and mash the fuck out of it. Set a timer or you'll never do it for a full minute, and there might be tears. But not the kind that make you a pussy, the kind like when you get punched in the nose. So it's okay.

If the problem is that bad, I'd do both the above every. Single. Day. If the ol' test-retest shows improvement when you're done with the stretch/mash, you're on the right track.

If not, fuck it, listen to someone else.
BrutalHoney is offline   Reply With Quote