Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DGAF
    Vet
    • Dec 2013

I agree. I change my workouts every week to keep my body guessing so it will have to grow to adapt. I will do db exercises one week and the next do machine exercises, I will take an exercise out and replace it with another or do the exercises in reverse order. I do anything just to keep from being repetitive and routine. You will be surprised at what a slight change or variation each week can do for growth.
    sigpicDGAF

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by DGAF
      A set of 10 reps only takes about 15-20 seconds if you bust them out, so even at 30 seconds per set that is only nine and a half mins of actual lifting, so I got time in between sets to rest and recover. I don't have to be in the gym an hour to do 6 exercises for arms, cause they are easy to do and I don't have to change the weights or anything, just pick up the dumbells and rock n roll. If it takes you any longer than a half hour to do arms then IMO you are either over training them or you are not doing them correctly and using way to heavy of a weight where you take 5 mins each rep or you are talking to much. My arms are a good size at almost 19" and that's all I do for them and they grow like crazy. I curl a lot too bro, I am working my way up to 100lb dumbells , I am on 75lb dumbells right now for my last set of 6 reps. When I did do barbell curls I could curl 205lbs for 2 reps on a max set after all my other sets, and all the while I was only in the gym less than a half hour training on arm day.
      So your rest times between sets is only like 30-45 seconds. That's very brief, almost like pre-contest work for many. Most guys poundages would suffer bigtime on a Mac Daddy exercise like close grip benches, skullcrushers, bb curls, etc resting that briefly. Shit if you're getting the 75's for 6 on db curls after only resting 30-45 seconds, I'm betting you could get the 85's for 6 had you rested 90 seconds. I am far from a volume guy and mostly train HIT - have for years. I'm not one to live in the gym. However, on the flipside, when it comes time for that all-out, bust-ass workset, I want to be able to give it 110% with max weight, hence, I rest long enough to recup so I can do that.

But hey, just like assholes, we all have opinions haha. Arnie vs Mentzer styles, Yates vs Wheeler styles, Coleman vs Jay styles, etc etc. You have found what works for you, so that's all that counts. Good luck on getting those 100's 1 day dude

Comment

• DGAF
        Vet
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
        So your rest times between sets is only like 30-45 seconds. That's very brief, almost like pre-contest work for many. Most guys poundages would suffer bigtime on a Mac Daddy exercise like close grip benches, skullcrushers, bb curls, etc resting that briefly. Shit if you're getting the 75's for 6 on db curls after only resting 30-45 seconds, I'm betting you could get the 85's for 6 had you rested 90 seconds. I am far from a volume guy and mostly train HIT - have for years. I'm not one to live in the gym. However, on the flipside, when it comes time for that all-out, bust-ass workset, I want to be able to give it 110% with max weight, hence, I rest long enough to recup so I can do that.

But hey, just like assholes, we all have opinions haha. Arnie vs Mentzer styles, Yates vs Wheeler styles, Coleman vs Jay styles, etc etc. You have found what works for you, so that's all that counts. Good luck on getting those 100's 1 day dude
        Yea I go in there to get it done, in and out, no bs`ing around, one set bam rest for a min then bam next set. Bust them out and my arms are sore as hell by the time I am done, but they grow like mad and I get real strong. I have stood in front of the 80`s before and was like f`it and tried them but only got 1 and almost a second rep but couldn't. I don't live in the gym, only there an hour or less a day 5 days a week, been like that for 25 years. I don't do close grip bench or anything with a straight bar anymore cause of my shoulders but I will kill it with some dumbells. It really isn't the weight you are doing anyway when you are doing like I am set after set, it is how you do them that counts, your body don't know the weight you are using, hell you could be spent on your last set and curling 30lbs and it feels like it is 60lbs, your body will grow from the 30lbs just like it will from the 60lbs when they feel the same.

And your right brother everyone has an opinion and that's cool. Everyone is different and by everyone giving their opinions it gives people many options and avenues to try to see what suits them well.

Its all good brother. And one day I will get those 100`s!
        sigpicDGAF

Comment

• Freezerdude

Well Dgaf evidently it's working for you brother because looking at your pics your one big fucker!

Comment

• Freezerdude

To the OP I would try what the guys have said and also throw in some heavy compounds and if your not doing them do some pull-ups!! they've always help my bi's grow good...

Comment

• DGAF
              Vet
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Freezerdude
              Well Dgaf evidently it's working for you brother because looking at your pics your one big fucker!
              Thank you brother.
              sigpicDGAF

Comment

• T1DMMA2BB
                Vet
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                Typically going 20+ reps isn't going to build much size for arms. However, you may not fit into that "typical" category and may benefit from the advice A.B gave you. However, before going that unorthodox route, it would be wise to post the routine, reps, total scheme you have done in the past that has given you 16.5" arms. Only then can one give you a more tailored program.

Also, how long have you been hitting the iron seriously? If not so long, you will get bigger pipes just from hitting the Mac Daddy exercises like bench, militaries, bent rows, chins, etc etc.
                I like the advice A.B. gave me too. I have been doing different things for years but have never achieved bigger arms (My father is the same way, not big arms and he still lifts). Im about four to five days a week right now it really depends on work schedule. I have been doing increasing weight with a 12/10/8/6 rep range

DB curls/then DB over head extensions for tri's.
                DB Hammer curls/skullcrushers
                Cable rope curls/bent over cable rope extensions
                EZ bar curls/tri push downs with Vbar or rope

I have followed this for years since I have always seen gains off of it but recently have really stopped seeing any gains. Great swole but no growth. Back and chest have grown from this and still are but nothing with arms.

Comment

• T1DMMA2BB
                  Vet
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Freezerdude
                  To the OP I would try what the guys have said and also throw in some heavy compounds and if your not doing them do some pull-ups!! they've always help my bi's grow good...
                  I will do that!

Comment

• willsgotrythm
                    Vet
                    • Jul 2012

I have to be careful with working my arms but they grow like weeds anyway!! Like most I do bi's on back day and tri's on chest and shoulder day. Usually what I do is three sets of ten reps single arm preacher curls for bi's. For tri's I do close grip bench with light weight and usually about 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps or to failure. Lately I've also been doing cable push downs to really burn them out. The reason I have to be careful is, I've pulled tendons in both elbows IMO from doing heavy straight bar curls and also heavy easy bar skull crushers. I've thought about going back to them for a while though...

Comment

• A.B
                      VET
                      • Jun 2004

21's and excercises keeping my reps between 12-20 til failur works well. It's not overly lift but you're not curling 200lbs.

Comment

Working...