Leg day

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Leg day

Blasted them today rendering me wobbly & light-headed - haven't went this heavy in awhile:

warm-up: leg ext 2 x 30

leg press:
    2 plates x 30
    4 plates x 20
    6 plates x 15
    8 plates x 10
    10 plates x 15
    12 plates x 12
    13 plates x 9

leg ext:
    3 x failure (15-25)
    1 set of 3-second contraction reps until on fire

hack squats:
    3 plates x 20
    4 plates x 15
    5 plates x 10

leg curl:
    4 x failure (8-15)

sldl:
    135 x 12
    225 x 10
    275 x 10
    315 x 8

toes press on leg press - 4 x on-fire (15-25)
    donkey calf machine - 4 x on-fire (15-25)

I don't do squats regularly anymore due to lumbar issues stemming from squats in the past. I might do some high rep sets with 225 some times, or front squats on the Smith - but not today. What's ya'alls routine look like?
  • clutchitalian
    • Sep 2011

i can hardly squat anymore cuz my knees are fucked from basketball....i go very light with high reps..........

Comment

• b52
      • Oct 2006

I usually do squats, leg press, deads, calf raises. Friggin, sucks. I hate leg day like herpes. You hate it, but it just won't go away. lol (I don't have herpes) I got 3 more weeks til, I switch some excercises. I don't squat heavy anymore cuz my back is f*cked, I save that for the leg press.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by b52
        I usually do squats, leg press, deads, calf raises. Friggin, sucks. I hate leg day like herpes. You hate it, but it just won't go away. lol (I don't have herpes) I got 3 more weeks til, I switch some excercises. I don't squat heavy anymore cuz my back is f*cked, I save that for the leg press.

I can't say I hate the actual workout - what I hate is the prelude before the workout knowing what's to come. Once the quads start fillin' up with blood and the veins get poppin', I get like a shark in frenzy mode smelling blood - I want more more more. I can't count the times I've told myself not gonna blast it too hard today so I won't be incapacitated the rest of the day, but it never happens haha - once it's on, it's all or nothing.

Comment

• clutchitalian
          • Sep 2011

i really hate leg day too when i push too hard i feel like im gonna puke...........

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by clutchitalian
            i really hate leg day too when i push too hard i feel like im gonna puke...........
            Been there......
            Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• clutchitalian
              • Sep 2011

friggin awesome............

Comment

• TheMuscleMan
                Vet
                • Feb 2015

I have a love hate thing with leg day. I love going real heavy and I love having big legs but I hate the light head feeling I get when I go heavy and I hate loading the machines up with all those 45`s. It takes more time to load and unload the machine than it does to do the actual workout! I fill the machine up with 45`s, 32 plates total(16 per side) over 1500lbs including the machine. I have to get plates from the other side of the gym and carry them over multiple trips!! It sucks, maybe one day I will ask to use a dolly to wheel them over lol. I do hacks, leg ext, seated leg curls, and lying leg curls to finish out my leg day.

I don't do squats anymore either. I have two shoulders that have been repaired and I have four anchors in each shoulder holding my tendons down so I cant get my arms back to hold the bar anymore, plus squats are real bad for your back.

Thanks
                TMM
                Last edited by TheMuscleMan; 08-18-2015, 12:18 AM.
                themuscleman@anonymousspeech.com
                tmm@securenym.net

Comment

• Glycomann

I'm going to do squats isometrics against the wall and then some polatiizz. Then I'm going to Starbucks with Dawgpound and hold hands.

Comment

• b52
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank

I can't say I hate the actual workout - what I hate is the prelude before the workout knowing what's to come. Once the quads start fillin' up with blood and the veins get poppin', I get like a shark in frenzy mode smelling blood - I want more more more. I can't count the times I've told myself not gonna blast it too hard today so I won't be incapacitated the rest of the day, but it never happens haha - once it's on, it's all or nothing.
                    Yeah, I don't actually hate the the workout once I'm doing it, it's just the whole, "ughh, gotta hit legs today" I never do that with anything else. I guess it's like going to work in the morning. Nobody wants to go to work, but once you're there, it's not so bad.

Comment

• 3J

looks pretty brutal.. i like it!!

have you tried a reverse pyramid philosophy?

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by 3J
                        looks pretty brutal.. i like it!!

have you tried a reverse pyramid philosophy?
                        Yessir. I've tried just about everything at one point or another haha. Reverse pyramids are for too risky at my age - gotta get alot of blood circulating & get the joints warmed up good before I go heavy. Also those warmups act as "feel-sets" - letting the body gradually get accustomed to the heavier weights to come. I don't wear myself out on them of course - for example, those first 4 sets on leg press were very easy. I save the ummf for the heavy worksets. Now if you mean doing some descending sets after the heavy stuff, yeah I do that often. Also I often do drop sets after the heavy stuff, but not on that particular day leg day.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by TheMuscleMan
                          I have a love hate thing with leg day. I love going real heavy and I love having big legs but I hate the light head feeling I get when I go heavy and I hate loading the machines up with all those 45`s. It takes more time to load and unload the machine than it does to do the actual workout! I fill the machine up with 45`s, 32 plates total(16 per side) over 1500lbs including the machine. I have to get plates from the other side of the gym and carry them over multiple trips!! It sucks, maybe one day I will ask to use a dolly to wheel them over lol. I do hacks, leg ext, seated leg curls, and lying leg curls to finish out my leg day.

I don't do squats anymore either. I have two shoulders that have been repaired and I have four anchors in each shoulder holding my tendons down so I cant get my arms back to hold the bar anymore, plus squats are real bad for your back.

Thanks
                          TMM
                          That's alot of weight - you got some strong wheels dude. I usually top out around 1200-1300. You ever see Coleman pushing 55 plates for 12? Sick! I'm kinda lucky in that the leg press at the gym I go to has 10 100lb plates right there, along with 20 45lb plates, so no walking needed. Also sometimes when I go to unload it, a youngster or two will grab the plates off one side while I do the other - they pity the old man perhaps haha.

Comment

• bufbiker

Squats

Warm ups - 135x15, 225/15, 315/15, 405/10
                            Sets - 495/10 for 5 sets. Lately last couple of sets are only 6 to 8 reps.

Sometimes that's it, other times I'll do 3 sets of leg extensions and 3 sets leg curls. It depends on how my knees feel and how close I am to puking or passing out.
                            I used to do leg presses but got tired of scrounging for plates, then having to put them all away when I was done.

Comment

• TheMuscleMan
                              Vet
                              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                              That's alot of weight - you got some strong wheels dude. I usually top out around 1200-1300. You ever see Coleman pushing 55 plates for 12? Sick! I'm kinda lucky in that the leg press at the gym I go to has 10 100lb plates right there, along with 20 45lb plates, so no walking needed. Also sometimes when I go to unload it, a youngster or two will grab the plates off one side while I do the other - they pity the old man perhaps haha.

I have seen the vid of Ronnie doing like 2300lbs I think it was, also seen him doing walking lunges with 225lb like it was nothing. I do have some pretty big legs, I have a hard time buying jeans that fit because the dang thighs are all made for small guys. My old gym had 6- 100lb plates but the gym I go to now don't have any so its go get 45`s from across the gym. My wife helps me on heavy leg day loading and unloading the machine, it would take me an hour to load and unload it if I did it myself lol, huff and puff after every 2 plates lol. Plus at my old gym I tipped the leg press over on its side because I took too many plates off one side at once and it toppled over so I had to get two other big guys to help me put it back right, it wasn't bolted down like the one at my new gym is so it no wonder it tipped!

I cant walk right for a few hours after leg day and two days later its worse lol.

Thanks
                              TMM
                              themuscleman@anonymousspeech.com
                              tmm@securenym.net

Comment

Working...