Clear All
  • 3J

230 lbs 39 yrs old 5'10" 13% bf

370 + (21.6 x lean mass in kg)= bmr

230 x .13 = 29.9 bodyfat weight

230 - 29.9 = 200.1 lean body weight

200.1 / 2.2 =90.95 lean body weight in kg

370 + (21.6 x 90.95 = 1964) = 2334

so technically your basil metabolic rate is 2334..

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

so lets be moderate about it and use a 1.55 multiplying factor

your total daily energy expenditure based on calculations is 3618 calories.. at least on the days you workout they are... and about a 500 calorie reduction on the days you dont workout

now this doesn't consider having a high labor intensive job or other activites..

furthermore, this is nothing more than an educated guess... but its better than blindly going into a diet..

your next step should seriously be to count your calories and see what your intake is at.. and try to bring that intake to about 3500 calories...

not hard

300g protein
    400g carbs
    67g fats

once you are there.. see how your body responds... use an unbiased weight and measurements protocol.. here is an article i wrote on that... what you want to do is see your body stall weekly.. once that happens simply add 500 calories to your diet.. you should start seeing about a 1lb a week increase.. and keep adding calories to fuel that growth.. this is only half the battle.. proper macro timing plays a factor too imo..

Proper Protocol for Weight and Measurements

Over the years as a sports nutritionist I have seen many people get confused over the proper protocol of weights and measurements. What do I mean by weights and measurements? Weight would be the weight that you take to see if you are progressing in the journey to your goals. Measurements are the specific measurements you take with a tailors tape measure. I will discuss both and also cover the proper timing of weight and measurements to get the least biased results.

Biased results, what could you mean??

Well, there are a lot of factors that come into play in terms of your weight and how biased it can be. Water intake, sodium intake, bloat secondarily to hormone levels (high estrogen levels), carbohydrate intake, and time of weighing all play a factor in your weight. Lets cover them all.

Time of weighing
    The time of day that you weigh yourself will play a heavy factor on the bias of your weight. It should be obvious that when you weigh yourself at night you will naturally weigh more than you did in the morning due to food and fluid intake. Your body will be carrying more weight that will be expelled. typically a person can weight 5-10lbs more at night than they do in the morning!!

Water intake
    This is simple if you went from drinking very little water to a lot of water quickly your weight will go up. Your body does not have time to expel that water through the kidneys and it will hold on to what it can if you were dehydrated (hyper-volume state). It is wise to keep your water intake consistent. Usuaully a gallon a day is more than enough.

Sodium intake
    Sodium, or salt, will play a factor on how much water your body holds. The more sodium you have in your system the more water your body wants to hold on to. If you ate a large salty meal expect to weigh more the next day due to bloat.

Bloat due to hormone levels
    If you have high estrogen levels or an imbalance of hormones your body will hold water weight. Many body builders experience this with the use of steroids. Keep that in mind if you plan on cycling.

Carbohydrate intake
    People seem to miss the obvious, its called carbo-HYDRATES for a reason. The more carbs you take in the more you will weigh. Carbs cause you to hold water weight!

Proper weighing and measuring Protocol
    Your weight and measurements should always be taken first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and after the bathroom if needed. This will cause the least biased weight so long as you have been following your diet strictly and not cheated. The weight should be taken once a week on the same day every time. If you cheat the day before with a high carb and salty food then your weight will be biased due to the bloat that comes with carbs and salt. Your weight should also always be taken the same day of the week especially if you are on a carb cycle type diet. With a carb cycle diet the weight should be taken the morning after the lowest carb day.

For example if your carb cycle looks like this:
    Monday high day
    Tuesday medium day
    Wednesday low carb day
    Thursday high day

You should be weighing yourself Thursday morning since Wednesday was your lowest carb day of the week and therefore has the least bias.

Measurements:

With a tailors tape measure, you should measure the following areas:
    • Neck
    • Chest
    • Stomach at belly button
    • Waist line (where your pants sit when worn properly)
    • Biceps with arms extended out to side
    • Thighs
    • Calves
    • Forearm 3 inches from elbow

With the above measurements you can get a more complete idea of how your body is changing. If your weight were to not be moving but your losing inches on your stomach and waist line that would be good news wouldn't it? Remember not to solely depend on weight or measurements only, you have to look at the big picture!

Comment

• 3J

hope that helps!!

Comment

• DRveejay11
        • Jul 2013

3J. I enjoy your posts man.

Comment

• 3J

Thanks man!

Comment

• P. Bateman
            Vet
            • Mar 2009

Openly gay lovers. I've a great deal of respect for your 'kind'. Takes a lot of courage to admit when you're...different.

Great post 3J.
            “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

Comment

• 3J

thank you

Comment

• DRveejay11
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by ozzy69
                Ill give you the number to my GP you ask her where the beef is....she says it's messing with my cholesterol and BP
                Send her antiquated butt these articles

Red meat has been blamed for everything from heart disease to cancer. Yet, the evidence indicates the contrary. Read on to learn the true health benefits.

In this ebook we debunk some of the most common myths about cardiovascular diseases and share simple heart diet and lifestyle solutions that can help you.

You may know which foods you need to avoid, but what should you be eating? Find out which foods will truly nourish your body.

Comment

• A1food4u

as you progress and get bored drop me a line.. might have fresh ideas for you....good luck

Comment

• ozzy69
                    Assistant Admin
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by A1food4u
                    as you progress and get bored drop me a line.. might have fresh ideas for you....good luck
                    Thank you old friend!

Comment

• A1food4u

Piece of cake!...err...chicken...

Comment

• willsgotrythm
                        Vet
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by P. Bateman
                        Openly gay lovers. I've a great deal of respect for your 'kind'. Takes a lot of courage to admit when you're...different.

Great post 3J.
                        I don't quite understand the gay part of this post unless it's due to the fact that the thread was started by ozzy. If darkness were to post I would really understand the gay reference...

Comment

• Darkness
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by willsgotrythm
                          I don't quite understand the gay part of this post unless it's due to the fact that the thread was started by ozzy. If darkness were to post I would really understand the gay reference...
                          ???? Me and izzy? Nahhh

But the funniest post I've read in a long time was 3J calculating ozzys metabolic rate and figuring intense labor during the day at work. 3j, please modify your calculations to include two 4 hour naps in the truck 5 days per week. Add a few extra calls for him to suspend his leg out the truck window.

Comment

Working...