Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baby1
    • Jun 2009

Over 40 and training modifications

After 40 the body seems to make many changes. I notice that stretching has become even more imperative in my
    40's. Have you modified your training as you have gotten older? What do you do differently now?
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

I do several warm-up sets for each exercise every workout.
    I also spend a little more time stretching.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Glycomann

I stay away from activities that aggravate nagging injuries until they are better. When I was younger I would beat on it until it felt better. I could train straight through injuries. Not so much anymore. You can still get it done but it takes a little thought and little more patience. I still seem to recover quickly but I have an accumulation of old injuries. I feel that is the main contributor.

Comment

• cuz

Lighter weights more reps. Take more time off when needed. Who am I kidding. I'm just not as motivated as I used to be when younger.

Comment

• dalnkwnt
          Vet
          • Oct 2011

im pushing 39 so im close to the big four O.....im going lighter, doing more sets and reps, eating alot cleaner, stretching more, and really really focusing on technique 10Xs more!
          MOD@massmonsterz.com

MOD@TheFitnessboard.com

Comment

• Darkness
            • Apr 2011

More warnups and mostly I train around things that hurt. I always have something on the list.

Comment

• Glycomann

Originally posted by Darkness
              More warnups and mostly I train around things that hurt. I always have something on the list.
              Yup, I actually took the night off tonight b/c everything felt like it was locked up.

Comment

• rocco-x
                Vet
                • Feb 2009

more warm ups and actually less workouts or less time in the gym according to what routine i'm doing.i think at 44,in 2 more weeks,i'm in far better shape and far stronger now than in my 20's.even when i was dancin at parties,batchelorette style-lol,i wasn't in this good of shape.i see guys half our age talk the talk on the floor but when put to the test it's always,"you're lucky bro,i hurt my back last night" or "hey,at least i'm natural."i laugh and tell them natty or chemically enhanced you're still too weak to get down with the roc...!

Comment

• bufbiker

I'm 55 now, training for over 27 years.
                  I just have to do a few extra light sets that I don't count. Have to warm up the joints. I also pyramid up to allow the joints to get used to the weight I'm about to put on them.

Comment

• A.B
                    VET
                    • Jun 2004

Haven't hit 40 yet but at that I don't like the 1 rep max anymore.
                    Not good for the joints. Lighter weights for me.

Comment

• Cabo Jo
                      Vet
                      • Aug 2011

still lift moderate weight,more rest days 3 or sometimes 4 off wk.

Comment

• millenium girl
                        • Apr 2006

My body needs more time to recover. I do body weight exercises every other week instead of lifting weights all the time like I used to.
                        Don't forget to join
                        http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
                        http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• bigguypump

pass 40 and do not workout much anymore but get very sore even in my pecs between the lower and upper pec, never did much streching either so maybe feeling my neglect in doing so,any thoughts on what i should do anyone?

Comment

• bufbiker

Originally posted by bigguypump
                            pass 40 and do not workout much anymore but get very sore even in my pecs between the lower and upper pec, never did much streching either so maybe feeling my neglect in doing so,any thoughts on what i should do anyone?
                            Start weight training again. It is the best way to fight muscle fatugue and soreness. Inactivity leads to both of these issues.
                            And as you get older, to me the benefits are even greater than 27-28 years ago when I first started lifting.

Comment

• Freezerdude

Originally posted by bufbiker
                              And as you get older, to me the benefits are even greater than 27-28 years ago when I first started lifting.
                              ^^I Couldn't agree more!^^

Comment

Working...