Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

Killer Arm Session

[SIZE="5"]So i know a lot of guys hate Rich Piana, but i always liked him. I was watching an old video by him the other day and he talked about an arm workout that blasted the arms. Ive got big arms already, but i was intrigued by the work out since Rich's arm are a few inches bigger than mine. I figured I'd give it a shot. So yesterday when i got home from work i tried it. He said take a 10lb set of dumbbells and do 100 reps of tricep extensions then immediately after do a set of 60 dumbbell curls with the tens. I'll be honest, i scoffed at using 10 lb dbells, but did it anyway.
    I did 150 lying tricep extensions then did 100 curls. I did take a few breaks but kept the breaks at 5 seconds. But i pushed like i haven't pushed in years. It hurt bad but good. Afterwards i showered then started supper, mu usual chicken breasts and rice. Since chicken and rice kind of sucks i like to add green peppers and onions for flavor. As i was trying to cut the onions and peppers my arms were shaking and giving out. For about two hours my arms were fried. I loved it. Today i feel.pumped like crazy and im not on anything, not even trt because i have a urologist appt in October, so i want to be clean.
    I highly recommend you to try this technique. I dont think i could do it every week, even if i was on. But if you ever want to blast the arms give it a try. And yes im very sore today. [ /SIZE]
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

I have never had really big arms, mine are ok but were never great. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Chooch
      VET
      • Oct 2009

Sounds like something I’m gonna try. I like doing sets of 50 on calves, why not sets of 100 on arms.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
        • May 2019

Trying anything new will usually cause extraordinary soreness simply from the shock to the body. I'd love to see a pic of your big, burly 20" guns pumping out with a 10lb db.lol

But in all seriousness, other than the novelty and shock to the body, I can't see using such a small weight adding any long term muscle. I'll stick with my heavy arm workouts in the 10-12 rep range, ending off with a pumper like 21's, triple drop set, etc. Then again, Vince Taylor claims to never have used heavier than a 25-30lb db for curls over his career, and he had great guns. Paul Dillett also wasn't known to use super heavy weights (although much heavier than 10lbs) and he was a freak. Both genetic anomalies, in which most guys wouldn't grow from doing such.
        Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• Roughrydr
          • Oct 2017

Tom Platz Saud Arnold never used anything over 40 lbs that he saw except when cameras were rolling.
          As I've gotten older and the joints less agreeable I've started using lighter weights. Like doing reps on bench with 275. I do still have days where I feel good and am curious about what I can still lift or squat. But not very often. I just look at Ronnie Coleman and know I don't want to end up like that. I'm pretty sure I'm older than he is. So I'm leaning now towards exploring Mike Mentzers philosophy on training. I'm not trying to compete any more or even impress. I'm just trying to stay alive and healthy as I continue living and aging.
          That said, you should try it once Hank. I've only done it the one time, so far. I think you'd love the pump.
          OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Chooch
            VET
            • Oct 2009

Funny you mention Platz talking about how little Arnold used weight wise. I have a very good friend (who coincidentally trains with Tom these days) that has 24” arms at over 300lbs and rarely ever lifts heavy. He’ll even joke occasionally about watching skinny kids swing all over the place trying to curl 50lb dumbbells while he stands next to them curling 35lb dumbbells lol. I don’t believe this is the next big thing in training, but a cool change of pace to burn out and get a hell of a pump.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
              • May 2019

Originally posted by Roughrydr
              Tom Platz Saud Arnold never used anything over 40 lbs that he saw except when cameras were rolling.
              As I've gotten older and the joints less agreeable I've started using lighter weights. Like doing reps on bench with 275. I do still have days where I feel good and am curious about what I can still lift or squat. But not very often. I just look at Ronnie Coleman and know I don't want to end up like that. I'm pretty sure I'm older than he is. So I'm leaning now towards exploring Mike Mentzers philosophy on training. I'm not trying to compete any more or even impress. I'm just trying to stay alive and healthy as I continue living and aging.
              That said, you should try it once Hank. I've only done it the one time, so far. I think you'd love the pump.
              Yeah Ronnie is only 59, not 77 like you big daddy!

I used to love (still do actually) watching Ric Draisin's YT channel. As you prolly know, he frequently worked out with Arnold in Arnold's prime years - like from '71 thru '74. Anyways, he posted tons of vids going over what him and Arnold did during various workouts. He pretty much said the same thing Platz said - he said he never seen Arnold use heavier than a 45lb db for db curls. He also said the volume that everyone talks about Arnold doing is exaggerated. He said during an arm workout, they would typically do 3 exercises for biceps, with 4 sets of each. He said more often than not it was barbell curls, seated incline db curls, and concentration curls (standing and leaning over, not seated on a bench like most did).

If you recollect, that is much less than the 5 exercises of 5 sets each which was always purported that he did for biceps. I remember back as a 15 y.o kid, I ordered Arnold's arm routine. It was a small pamphlet, cost $7, and it had him doing 25 sets for bi's and 25 sets for tris. Barbell curls, alt db curls, incline db curls, preacher curls & concentration curls for bi's. For tri's it was cable pushdowns, skullcrushers with an EZ bar, standing French press with an EZ bar (standing overhead extensions for the young crowd), one arm DB overhead extension, and tricep dips between 2 benches. I tried it and was fried haha.

RIP Ric - what a great guy he was.

I'm gonna try it for the helluva it since you recommend it bro.
              Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• ozzy69
                Assistant Admin
                • Jun 2011

I still do the 50-100 leg extension burn out at the end of my leg days and I’m gonna be 49 soon….UGH

Anything to make us grow it at the very least stay fit

Comment

• 1bigun11
                  • May 2022

The devil is whispering in my ear to give it a try and to consume a 1000 calorie protein/carb shake and take ten I.U.s of insulin ten minutes before starting those sets. What an OUCHY pump!!

Comment

• Roughrydr
                    • Oct 2017

Yeah the pump with insulin would be mind blowing for sure.
                    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

Working...