X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    VET
    • Feb 2017

? for Glyco, Lifts and the biology buffs here

OK, I have never read anything that really answers this long held question I have had literally for years.

When you ingest a high protein diet and protein is used for fueling your body especially like say in a Keto diet, does the fueled protein get used for building muscle OR does only the protein that didn't get used for fuel getting broken down and used for rebuilding muscle?

Do you follow what I am asking? Say you ingest 100 grams of protein and you are on a low carb diet and your body uses all 100 grams for running your body. Does it build muscle or was it entirely spend on energy and there is no muscle building effect or value? and you would need say 100 grams PLUS X amount for muscle building?
    The older I get the better I used to be.
  • chicken_hawk
    VET
    • May 2018

I have always wondered the same thing stud. But, even us dummies know a few things. One, everyone and each situation differs. Two, the body is meant to survive and energy systems come before anabolism. That being said, even natural guys cut calories and maintain muscle mass. So, I imagine it's a fine line and fluctuate from moment to moment.

Hawk

Comment

• Glycomann

It depends on a lot of variables. 1/2 of amino acids are glycogenic meaning they can be converted to glucose and stored or burned. Additionally, many can be deaminated and otherwise modified to enter into the tricaboxylic acid cycle to be used in the conversion of energy to NADH, FADH and ATP. Whether a particular protein molecule goes to amino acids and then shunts into protein synthesis, other processes as amine donors, into gluconeogenesis or TCA cycle depends on the demands on the system at that time. If you are severely depleted a large portion of it will go to energy metabolism. If you are just in keto but have enough fats in your diet then probably a lot of it will be spared for sue in other processes other then energy metabolism. Fat is protein sparing especially when in ketogenesis. Some protein will be converted to glucose, stored in the liver as glycogen and released as needed to maintain a normal glucose level in the blood and tissues.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

In extreme keto lean muscle tissue can also be broken down and used for conversion to glucose.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...