X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    VET
    • Feb 2017

Organic or Not?

I was curious how many folks here buy organic foods. I noticed it being advocated on another thread.

Personally, I find it a waste of money and don't find any value in the label organic. I worked in the grocery business 11 years and saw what I believed to be a scam.

Organic crops are often encircled with non-organic crops and are the beneficiaries of the pesticides used by their neighbors. Scientifically there has never been any proof offered that organic is better or more healthful that non organic.

Let's hear your practice and your reasonings.
    The older I get the better I used to be.
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

I feel the same way. Unless you're over in Sicily where everything is locally farmed it's not really organic imo.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

No way I'm paying a shitload more $$$ just for it to say organic pfftttt. IMO more importantly is to buy fresh raw veggies & fruits, lean cuts of meats, avoid processed foods which are loaded with sodium/preservatives, avoid sweets, avoid fish from China/cesspool, and gtg.

Comment

• Big B
        Banned
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
        No way I'm paying a shitload more $$$ just for it to say organic pfftttt. IMO more importantly is to buy fresh raw veggies & fruits, lean cuts of meats, avoid processed foods which are loaded with sodium/preservatives, avoid sweets, avoid fish from China/cesspool, and gtg.
        Same here. Only problem Hank is you have to trust certain labels, or "organic companies". Just bc it says it's organic, doesn't mean it's organic. We're starting our own garden next spring. We visit the butcher shop for good quality meats, and yes, for those wondering, I taste and see a big diff in these foods...

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Most of the outbreaks of severe out breaks of e coli and salmonella etc. are cause by so called organic veggies. The food value isn't any better either.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Darkness
            • Apr 2011

I think it’s one of the best scams every to double profits. And people think if it’s organic on the label it’s healthy for humans to consume. Case in point “organic candy”. That’s funny shit right there.

Comment

• Dakota
              VET
              • Feb 2017

It gets better than that. I saw "organic furniture" recently.

Comment

• b52
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dakota
                It gets better than that. I saw "organic furniture" recently.
                Let me guess the fabric was hemp

Comment

• willsgotrythm
                  Vet
                  • Jul 2012

I think the "organic" thing is based upon the fact that science has manipulated the foods that we consume, so much that they are becoming unhealthy for us. I do also think that it has become big business for these "organic" producers too. The rules for claiming that your food is organic are too ambiguous and how are you going to make sure anyway? The best way to make sure you are getting 100% organic is to grow the produce and animals yourself.

Comment

• Dakota
                    VET
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by willsgotrythm
                    I think the "organic" thing is based upon the fact that science has manipulated the foods that we consume, so much that they are becoming unhealthy for us. I do also think that it has become big business for these "organic" producers too. The rules for claiming that your food is organic are too ambiguous and how are you going to make sure anyway? The best way to make sure you are getting 100% organic is to grow the produce and animals yourself.
                    GMO is different that organic. In fact I bet you could have GMO foods certified organic.

I would love to see people start growing their own food again. I love having a garden, unfortunately the house I have now only makes a couple of plants possible. My meat is organic. It runs around wild until I harvest it.

Comment

• Big B
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dakota
                      GMO is different that organic. In fact I bet you could have GMO foods certified organic.

I would love to see people start growing their own food again. I love having a garden, unfortunately the house I have now only makes a couple of plants possible. My meat is organic. It runs around wild until I harvest it.
                      You mean Non-GMO. Yeah, we are starting a garden next spring. Looking forward to it...

Comment

• b52
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by willsgotrythm
                        But even then the seeds have been manipulated so far from the originals is still a gmo even if you grow it yourself. Take corn for example. Real unmodified corn is small like what you would get in your Chinese food. That crop had been modified so much that what we know today as corn is not true corn at all.

Comment

• MR. BMJ
                          • Apr 2006

I don't purposely buy organic, but say when I go shopping at Costco, I buy what they have, whether organic or not. Not everything, some of their shit is retardedly priced because there is an organic label slapped on the product. I usually only shop at Costco and Wal-Mart, so if something that is organic is reasonably priced, i'll get it....rather than spend the money in gas to drive over to a whole different store to get cheaper non-organic.

Comment

• millenium girl
                            • Apr 2006

I'm vegan and buy most of my food at the organic health store. Not cheap but quality stuff.
                            Don't forget to join
                            http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
                            http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• willsgotrythm
                              Vet
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by b52
                              But even then the seeds have been manipulated so far from the originals is still a gmo even if you grow it yourself. Take corn for example. Real unmodified corn is small like what you would get in your Chinese food. That crop had been modified so much that what we know today as corn is not true corn at all.
                              Yes sir...you can get some seeds that are supposedly NOT gmo. They are called heirloom seeds. I'm not sure where they come from and I've never bought any but supposedly they are good seeds. The house I have now we are planning to rent it in the future but when we get the house we are going to stay in we'll start a garden. If those seeds are still around by then that's what I'll get.

Comment

Working...