Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Need help with awkward conversation

So, first off if any of you are local promoters maybe you can shed some light, but from my vantage point I just can't see how it's possible they make no money (really why do it?).

So, the story for those who don't know is I opened an old school gym for people who just want to train. It's 4k SF of steel and chalk. All hammers, DBS to 150, jungle, bumpers etc... Well, in my arrogance I thought the place would blow up, wrong. Apparently the extra 15 a month (no contracts, no sign ups, no BS) is a deal breaker cuz most people go to the gym to get their ego stroked of check out ass. Nonetheless, my dream is coming true just slowly. I do have the best members who actually teach and educate and respect the gym and each other. Yet, I am dieing trying to make ends meet at the moment. Such is life.

Now, two promoters came to me saying lest have events at your place and put a spot light on the gym. I say, cool let's do it. I want events here, we already have done 2 PR nights, a bbing seminar and had an ART therapist for the afternoon oh and a log press seminar. So, a strongman comp and pling meet is exactly what we are all about.

Anyway, these commitments happened early on with friends of mine so I didn't think money would be and issue still, so I didn't question either of them when they said, I don't make any money doing this. Ironically, I didn't ask. But, now I will be spending money we don't have while to the best of my understanding they clean up.

First, the strongman has 70 competitors x $75 bucks, plus he took the 50/50 raffle and the door fee. Before, I could say Bob he made a deal to donate to wounded warriors. Well, God bless our vets and far be it for me to be the whole who complains about that. He has sponsors, who pay for the equipment, T shirts and trophies (which I had made for $7 apiece). The sponsors pay $150 for a spot on the meet T shirt and that covers all expenses.

The pling meet is easier. It's unsanctioned and has 40 competitors at $50 each. My gym, my equipment.

I personally could run these and plan to in the future. I actually want to give away prizes with some of the money (I'm not greedy). However, with these guys being my friends and not wanting to burn Bridges I need help framing the conversations. They need to be clever and possibly passive aggressive. I don't want to accuse them of anything but want them to think I know. Obviously, I can be point blank, but if they bad mouth me it would hurt future events and then what's the point? So, help me out with them and say somehow we will be going it alone in the future.

Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
It sounds like to me you're being used. If they are your friends you should be able to be blunt without them running off and talking shit about you behind your back. Tell them you don't mind running events at your gym but you need to make something on it to. You have bills to pay like everyone else.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
Just be honest and tell them what the deal is. They can go or stay.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
I suggest you start with "we need to respectfully discuss this from my point of view" and go from there. Be straight forward, anything else is just a problem waiting to blow up and feeling hurt and egos bent.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
It sounds like to me you're being used. If they are your friends you should be able to be blunt without them running off and talking shit about you behind your back. Tell them you don't mind running events at your gym but you need to make something on it to. You have bills to pay like everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Just be honest and tell them what the deal is. They can go or stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I suggest you start with "we need to respectfully discuss this from my point of view" and go from there. Be straight forward, anything else is just a problem waiting to blow up and feeling hurt and egos bent.
Ok, so shoot straight. So, I'm cool with that but I they will deny making a penny and I will say we will just have to part ways. Which is fine, but my gut says they cherish money over any relationship with me (if they aren't will to share now that sets a precedent) so I will end up pissing them off. But at least I was honest.

Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
I'm just an old fat, so dont know much any more. My take, past is past. Unless you want to go all bad ass its over, so move on.
Just tell them you would like to do more events
With them. But you are struggling as it is. And you cant afford to go in the hole any more. That said, try your own events. Start small and learn the ropes. Then gradually grow. FTW.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote