Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrod
    • Jun 2010

Hit by USPS vehicle

My wife was hit by a USPS mail delivery vehicle.
    The USPS driver is at fault and it caused damage to our vehicle and wife went to ER.
    Does anyone know if there is a specific procedure? I read online that the USPS drivers have immunity and it’s hard to get anything from them.
    Not looking for anything other than getting vehicle repaired and wife’s ER visit taken care of.
    Thanks
  • ozzy69
    Assistant Admin
    • Jun 2011

Yeah they have they right away over a school bus so good luck

Comment

• Roughrydr
      • Oct 2017

I may be wrong but I think you can sue them but they have liability limits that cap how much any pay out might be.
      OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• MindlessWork
        • Aug 2011

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) for assistance and they will mail claim forms. In addition why not look into getting a lawyer as this is a quasi-government agency you are dealing with.
        Last edited by MindlessWork; 11-17-2022, 08:04 PM.
        “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• jrod
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by MindlessWork
          Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) for assistance and they will mail claim forms. In addition why not look into getting a lawyer as this is a quasi-government agency you are dealing with.
          Yeah, so I decided to do the attorney route as this seems more involved than a regular insurance claim. They make you file a TORT claim in which they roll everything into one claim as opposed to getting my vehicle repaired and a rental and then getting the medical and personal injury.
          Too much hassle and I trust the government less than attorneys.
          We did find an attorney that came highly recommended, so we’ll see if I get a couple hundred dollars out of it.
          I just want my damn vehicle repaired, oh and make sure my wife gets her injuries taken care of.

Comment

• MindlessWork
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by jrod
            Yeah, so I decided to do the attorney route as this seems more involved than a regular insurance claim. They make you file a TORT claim in which they roll everything into one claim as opposed to getting my vehicle repaired and a rental and then getting the medical and personal injury.
            Too much hassle and I trust the government less than attorneys.
            We did find an attorney that came highly recommended, so we’ll see if I get a couple hundred dollars out of it.
            I just want my damn vehicle repaired, oh and make sure my wife gets her injuries taken care of.
            Ok good, and hope this all works out for you and I think you may also be able to get reimbursed for your lawyer fees too.

Hope your wife is OK btw.
            “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• Acreed1
              Vet
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by jrod
              My wife was hit by a USPS mail delivery vehicle.
              The USPS driver is at fault and it caused damage to our vehicle and wife went to ER.
              Does anyone know if there is a specific procedure? I read online that the USPS drivers have immunity and it’s hard to get anything from them.
              Not looking for anything other than getting vehicle repaired and wife’s ER visit taken care of.
              Thanks
              1st and foremost, hope wife and all involved are ok. Glad you did the attorney route. One thing that must be considered is long term damage or pain to your wife. 3,6 or 12 months from now, who knows what issues may flare up.
              If you guys are ok $$$$ wise, hold out for aslong as possible. It is very honorable that all you want is your wife's issues taken care of, vhicle fixed and possibly time off from job reimbursed. Again, take into consideration long-term issues flaring up. Because once case is settled, that's it.

Just my 2 cents. I was ran off that road by a police officers buddy. Let's just say we settled out of court. I did have a attorney friend make a few calls to police station wondering why no report was written up. Needless to say, things fell in my favor.....
              Anywho, wish you and wife the best!
              "No Joe, you next Joe, you next Joe!"
              "Creed in 3, Creed in 3"

Comment

• jrod
                • Jun 2010

I appreciate all the feedback!
                Money is tight but we are just going to get a cheap little vehicle to drive around until this mess is resolved.
                My wife is currently getting treatment and will be going to get an mri on her knee and upper arm.
                I told her to get treatment as long as possible because it helps the case out. Not trying to milk it or take advantage but I’ve learned, many times if you don’t make it sound/appear worse than it is, they will not take you seriously and rush you out the door.

Funny side note, a buddy of mine whose sore was in an accident years ago had an attorney and they told him that even though she was the one in the accident he can get monetary compensation because he’s not able to be intimate with his wife (I forget what he called it) but because he is indirectly affected by it as well, they were able to get a little something added because of that.
                It’s definitely impacted my ability to have intimacy with my wife. Not to mention I have to drive her to all her appointments and make all the calls. Huge inconvenience!!

Comment

Working...