Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Dawgpound_Hank

Bob Paris says he shoulda won 2 Mr O's

On his IG he said he should have won in '84 & '85.

Ya'lls take?

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...-Olympia-TWICE
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Glycomann

He had the most aesthetic physique of the 80s. He would have been top six for probably 5-6 years at the Olympia if he didn't come out. 84 he was phenomenal. I know people that saw him in person and said he looked like he was from another planet like he was not real how perfect he was. He was the Greek god come down from Mt. Olympus. He may be the most beautiful man that ever lived. No homo... sort of. But seriously, you could argue that he had bested every person on that stage in 84 even Haney since the sport is subjective. Look at someof the videos of that show. He would shift ever so slightly his hips and slide slightly to the side and you could see striations from the top of his traps down to the small of his back. Imagine what that looked like in person at that show 15 feet in front of you at the judges table, that whole package and perfect symmetry.

The strategic error he made was coming out too soon. A year later after placing, say, second to Haney adn it would have been politically impossible to place him lower if he came in the same or better.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
Dawgpound_Hank

^ I agree. Closest to a "perfect" body if you will than anyone. And keeping in mind the perfect timing for him to come along - right after the Zane era when symmetry was the "thing". He got friggin' robbed IMO. Even though he didn't officially come out until '89, word is he didn't hide it and all the competitors and judges knew about it early on. And you being an old geezer like myself, we know that being gay back then was taboo. Nowadays it would mean nothing, or at least certainly nothing of the magnitude back then.

If you read his post in that vid at MD, he mentioned about the "drug morons". Seems everyone at MD thinks he is implying that he was natty. I don't necessarily read it like that - could mean by morons he meant "abusers", like guys who really pushed the envelope which he wasn't willing to do. I mean I've never read or heard that he claimed to be natty. Then again, not much out there on him. As hard & separated as he was, and he was not a small guy by any means, I can't see him being natty - looks more like low dose stuff to me. Whatever the case, he certainly broke the mold.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
^ I agree. Closest to a "perfect" body if you will than anyone. And keeping in mind the perfect timing for him to come along - right after the Zane era when symmetry was the "thing". He got friggin' robbed IMO. Even though he didn't officially come out until '89, word is he didn't hide it and all the competitors and judges knew about it early on. And you being an old geezer like myself, we know that being gay back then was taboo. Nowadays it would mean nothing, or at least certainly nothing of the magnitude back then.

If you read his post in that vid at MD, he mentioned about the "drug morons". Seems everyone at MD thinks he is implying that he was natty. I don't necessarily read it like that - could mean by morons he meant "abusers", like guys who really pushed the envelope which he wasn't willing to do. I mean I've never read or heard that he claimed to be natty. Then again, not much out there on him. As hard & separated as he was, and he was not a small guy by any means, I can't see him being natty - looks more like low dose stuff to me. Whatever the case, he certainly broke the mold.
I read his book "Gorilla Suit". He talks about using steroids in it. My feeling is he was an extreme responder and probably didn't abuse like some of the guys. He mentioned in the book that Weider wanted him to get a lot bigger, meaning use more drugs. Push the envelope. The Weider's were pushing that. They were a driving force for the coming drug abuse. It was after all about selling magazines and supplements. They got what they wanted but not from Bobby. He did some acting and wrote some books and did just fine.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #5
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
He did had one of best physique during the 80s. Should he best Haney, I don't know. You're talking about another great bodybuilder during his era. It has been awhile but I would have to see comparison pics during those times. Bob also come out as being gay during a time that creates such hardship, where today he prob would win just bc of that lol...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
JDUB
Vet

JDUB will become famous soon enoughJDUB will become famous soon enough
I can see how Zane won in this same question. Zane was always cut to the bone. IMO Paris was always soft and held water where Zane never did. Doesn't add up to me.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
I can see how Zane won in this same question. Zane was always cut to the bone. IMO Paris was always soft and held water where Zane never did. Doesn't add up to me.
He was shredded in 84. Not so much in 85. Gaspari was the only one int he 80s to have striated glutes.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
JDUB
Vet

JDUB will become famous soon enoughJDUB will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=Glycomann;350352]He was shredded in 84. Not so much in 85. Gaspari was the only one int he 80s to have striated glutes.[/QUOTE

How tall was paris?
Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
Dawgpound_Hank

[QUOTE=JDUB;350353]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycomann View Post
He was shredded in 84. Not so much in 85. Gaspari was the only one int he 80s to have striated glutes.[/QUOTE

How tall was paris?
6'0.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #10
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycomann View Post
I read his book "Gorilla Suit". He talks about using steroids in it. My feeling is he was an extreme responder and probably didn't abuse like some of the guys. He mentioned in the book that Weider wanted him to get a lot bigger, meaning use more drugs. Push the envelope. The Weider's were pushing that. They were a driving force for the coming drug abuse. It was after all about selling magazines and supplements. They got what they wanted but not from Bobby. He did some acting and wrote some books and did just fine.
I never even heard of that book until someone mentioned it in that thread over at MD. Worth the read?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
Glycomann

Interesting inside view of BBing but it goes from when he was a kid through his pro career.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:42 AM   #12
Rot-Iron66

Rot-Iron66 is on a distinguished road
Gorilla Suit was an excellent read IMO...
Rot-Iron66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
If the men running the BB world tell you flat out they are looking for size and freakyness, don't bitch because you took your own righteous path. Personally I MUCH prefer the look of Paris, Zane, Samir and company to the monsters, but they obviously were looking for the most outlandish size possible in Haney, Yates, Coleman
Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If the men running the BB world tell you flat out they are looking for size and freakyness, don't bitch because you took your own righteous path. Personally I MUCH prefer the look of Paris, Zane, Samir and company to the monsters, but they obviously were looking for the most outlandish size possible in Haney, Yates, Coleman
I think as it progressed the holy shit factor came more and more into play. Haney walked out and everyone went holy shit. Yates walked out looking like he was 265 without skin and everyone went holy shit. Coleman walked out after Flex taught him how to take steroids and everyone went holy shit.Now 1/2 the Olympia lineup is holy shit. Winklar holy shit. Bonac holy shit. Army holy shit. Odd though, Rhodan is aesthetic and not so much holy shit yet he won. So when everyone has a gut suddenly the judges wake up and realize aesthetics.