X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlphaMale
    VET
    • Mar 2018

SAPPER 8 Mile Ruck Course, Ft Leonard Wood

I’ve been doing the 8 mile segement of the 12 mile SAPPER ruck march course at Fort Leonard Wood, MO three times a week lately.
    It’s been a great experience out there on my own trudging up those steep hills.
    Been needing to work on my leg strength and cardio after suffering a lower back injury a year ago.
    I’ve done this eight mile section about half a dozen times by now and most times haven’t seen a single soul whole I’m out there.
    A few times I’ve crossed paths with companies and even entire battalions our on their ruck marches. I have to make sure I don’t appear to be struggling in front of these young soldiers and recruits.
    September 1996 was my first Army ruck march at Ft Knox, KY and they’ve got some challenging hills there, too.
    Worst 12 miler I’ve ever done was on sand tank trails at Fort Stewart, GA. It was what they call a “forced road march”, meaning the entire battalion does the whole 12 miles locked in formation and must maintain the pace of the leader, typically the battalion commander.
    A huge clusterfuck of hundreds of hot sweating sand flea infested blistery footed soldiers trying not to break ranks for twelve straight miles...it really sucked.
    But, nowadays I just do ruck marches for the fun of it and it’s been a blast.
    It’s getting too cold out now and I’m not into freezing my ass of on a dirt trail.

Route map
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlphaMale; 10-24-2020, 07:54 PM.
    Veteran
  • AlphaMale
    VET
    • Mar 2018

Attached Files
    Veteran

Comment

• mrhtbd
      • Apr 2015

Thanks for the memories! I attended US Army Advanced Training for Capentry/Masonry School at Ft Leonard Wood for 12 weeks the Summer of 1982. I ran the 2 mile PT Test on a black cinder track in 11:40, only beaten by my friend Joe Deer (11:36) from Wisconson; who’s mother was Norwegian and father American Indian; tall blond hair blue eyes dark skin and legs up to his arm-pits! Great guy! I remember the 7-mile runs both out to the firing range and 5-miles to the grenade range (one way)! Great challenges running those gravel trails; I tip my hat! Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Working...