X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Benz
    Vet
    • Jan 2004

Dessicated Liver...the forgotten supplement

Dessicated liver is equal to many times its weight in RAW liver, containing enzymes and B-complex vitamins that are destroyed in the cooking process. There are more anabolic nutritional factors in liver tabs than any other food or protein supplement, or any multivitamin. Besides a superb amino acid balance, this is one of the best soarces of "B-complex" vitamins. Only brewer's yeast has an equivalent B-complex ratio, and unless fortified, contains only negligible B-12. B-12 is hard for the body to assimilate, and liver is one of the best soarces for easily assimilated B-12, and synergistic heme-iron. Also a good soarce of Coenzyme-Q-10, many scarce trace minerals, including copper, zinc, and iron, and also antifatigue P-450 enzymes, lipotropic, and other growth factors, even an anti-estrogen factor.

I always saw a marked increase in endurance and stamina with the old dessicated liver powder years ago. Liver has fallen out of vogue with today's "it has to taste good" mentality. But the old timers like Larry Scott, and Frank Zane, who were Mr. Olympia before the insane steroid use of the modern competitors like Ronnie and Jay, took 100 or more liver tabs daily, and considered them essential. I used to dump heaping tablespoons of dessicated liver powder in my protein shake back 20 years ago. You had to hold your nose and gag this down. The protein itself was non-instantized, required a blender and was far less palatable than any of the proteins you guys are accusing of tasting bad nowadays. But I noticed, even in my teens, a far greater level of energy and stamina with dessicated liver, and I was doing full body workouts back then.

My reason for taking liver tabs is primarily the anti-fatigue factor, which is not placebo effect. I began to notice several years ago that when I ran out of dessicated liver for a week or more, my stamina noticeably decreased in the last stages of a really intense workout. I began to realize my strength held out longer in the gym, and I seemed to recuperate faster. Even if someone was to show me a 50 page clinical study proving liver cannot do what I know it does; well, sometimes real world results fly in the face of logic.

According to Vince Gironda, the "Iron Guru", desiccated liver contains nucleic acids for proper amino-acid utilization, a growth factor and an anti-estrogen factor, which keeps testosterone levels high, and it is also a great anti-toxin.

"... liver tablets are one of the most potent training aids for the bodybuilder. The formula is an extract which contains only trace amounts of fat and cholesterol, but forty-five times the nutritional value of whole beef liver, yet with all the nutrients and enzymes of raw liver."

"...being very high in useable bodybuilding protein of the highest quality (it contains all the essential amino acids). It's a strong blood builder supplying heme iron. It is a very rich soarce of B vitamins, especially riboflavin, niacin, B-12, and the lipotropics choline and inositol. It's a good soarce of vitamins A, C, and D and other micro-nutrients and very rich in minerals such as the anti oxidant selenium, phosphorous, copper, zinc, and GTF chromium (insulin regulator). In addition to these known nutrients, there are substances present in liver shown to have a beneficial effect on health, fitness, and endurance such as cytochrome P-450 and others that have yet to be identified. "
  • John Benz
    Vet
    • Jan 2004

"In 1951, in a classic experiment, Dr. B. H. Ershoff demonstrated that liver extract was able to boost strength, endurance, performance, and resistance to stress and disease. In a nutshell here's how this occurred:

Dr. Ershoff took three groups of rats and fed them controlled diets for a twelve week period. Group one ate a basic diet fortified with vitamins and minerals. Group two ate as much as they wanted of the same diet plus B vitamins and brewer's yeast. Group three ate the basic diet but had 10% desiccated liver added to their rations.

Then the doctor placed the rats one by one into a drum of water, out of which they could not climb. Therefore, it was either swim or drown. The group one rats swam an average of 13.2 minutes before they all drowned. Group two, an average of 13.4 minutes. Group three, however, were still swimming at the end of two hours, at which time the experiment was concluded. Now either the group three rats had watched the fate of their counterparts very closely, or the liver had something to do with them swimming almost 10 times as long. As far as we know, no other supplement has even come close to liver in improving endurance."

Comment

• John Benz
      Vet
      • Jan 2004

Paul Anderson used to eat a pound of raw liver every day.

Height: 5'9"
      Weight: 330-360 lbs.
      Thigh circumference: 36 inches

Best Lifts

Bench: 627 pounds
      Squat: 1206 pounds
      Deadlift: 820 pounds, he pulled a massive 1000 pounds using metal hooks attached to his wrists. This assisted deadlift was witnessed by Tommy Kono
      Clean and Jerk: 480 pounds, unofficial
      Push Press: 600 pounds, witnessed by Bob Hise
      One Arm Press: 380 pounds, 300 pounds for ten reps; this 380 pound lift was the greatest lift ever lifted overhead with one arm; both were witnessed by Paul Magistratte
      Backlift: 6270 pounds, witnessed by Kara Whitfield and Maurice Payne, included in the Guinness Book of World Records

Other Lifts Witnessed
      Squat: 900 pounds for 10 reps, John Grimek was a witness to this
      800 x 10 (2 sets), Pat Casey was a witness to this
      900 x 1 (3 second pause) {done easily in 1956} [witnessed by Iron Man
      author, but I do not have his name]

Olympic Press: 425 x 3 (just missed 3rd rep) {exhibition at 1958 dual meet with Russia, this is back when an Olympic press was strict} [Peary Radar was a witness to this]
      400 x 7 {1957}

Below....Paul Anderson lifting car while friend changes tire
      Attached Files

Comment

• John Benz
        Vet
        • Jan 2004

Paul Anderson ............famous "backlift"
        Attached Files

Comment

• John Benz
          Vet
          • Jan 2004

Paul Anderson............homemade 900 lb squat bar made of cartwheels.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mr Incredible
            • Oct 2010

The wheels on that squat bar lol!

Comment

• HOTROCKS
              • Feb 2009

I like liver with onions and bell peppers .
              But have completely forgotten about the pills.

Do you remember Carters little liver pills ?

What would be a beneficial dose ?
              Deus unus me iudicare potest

Hot Rocks aka HIGH12 is A true American Psycho!

Comment

• HOTROCKS
                • Feb 2009

I've been taking this sup for over a week and I can feel a marked difference .
                It is something that will always be in my bag of supplements.
                It is very affordable and really works.
                Deus unus me iudicare potest

Hot Rocks aka HIGH12 is A true American Psycho!

Comment

• Narkissos
                  Vet
                  • Mar 2005

Used to be my main supplement until about 5 years ago when my body started to reject it.

Loads of contest prep guys online say it's 'useless'...but it isn't in my opinion. In 7 years of straight competing, I probably only did 2 preps without it.

I always start with 1-3 tabs per meal and increase as digestive system acclimates.

Then, I start adding 1-3 tabs between meals.

When in a depletive phase, I used to pound a handful or two of tabs in the place of a meal.

Farts aside, it was wicked!
                  Owner of:

Mod/VIP/VET @ Other Boards

"Your Passion defines your Priorities"--Corey Worrell

Comment

• Thate
                    Vet
                    • Mar 2007

They work great imo

I alternate between Beverly and Universal

Comment

• Narkissos
                      Vet
                      • Mar 2005

^^Universal was my mainstay for many years... but in latter years, it became hard to digest for some reason.

I heard Beverly is way easier... so I may look into that.

Do you have a preferred site for it?
                      Owner of:

Mod/VIP/VET @ Other Boards

"Your Passion defines your Priorities"--Corey Worrell

Comment

• Thate
                        Vet
                        • Mar 2007

tigerfitness has them for under $30

I also chew them up instead of swallowing them whole. Somebody did a test and it showed that neither brand broke down very well even in stomach acid. The beverly taste way better, sort of like chocolate and they are more potent. The universal is cheaper and you get used to the taste. My son used to eat them before football games thinking it gave him extra strength. He is a picky kid and if he can chew them up anybody can.

Comment

Working...