Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Why the legs go with age

Seen this over at MD:

Research finds that nerves controlling the legs decrease by around 30% by the age of 75.

Thoughts?
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

All muscles decrease with age but the longer we work them, the longer they will hang in there.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• MindlessWork
      • Aug 2011

My knees are the worst shape but they still are hanging in there. Squats are rather difficult but can do deads and leg press however.

As I am turning 54 soon I still will keep training till the day I step into the pine box
      “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• Big B
        Banned
        • Jan 2016

Oh great, telling me this what will happen? I’m near 42 but feel legs still fresh as new. Hope it continues...

Comment

• MR. BMJ
          • Apr 2006

I know Emeric (IFBB pro) over at ProM trains his 3x per week to help keep size and strength up. I'll post a link from there later.

I do notice that quadsweep is usually the first to go on a lot of aging men.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by Big B
            Oh great, telling me this what will happen? I’m near 42 but feel legs still fresh as new. Hope it continues...
            No. Just don't take a long layoff. If you have decent genetics, with hard work you can hold them. I'm 54 & still have decent legs with no drop off as far as I can tell whatsoever. I hit them very hard (as in can't walk right when done) once ew. I think not coming to the dark side until 40 plays a significant role - as in, arms & legs not shrinking and no old man looking muscles if that makes sense.

Comment

• Big B
              Banned
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
              No. Just don't take a long layoff. If you have decent genetics, with hard work you can hold them. I'm 54 & still have decent legs with no drop off as far as I can tell whatsoever. I hit them very hard (as in can't walk right when done) once ew. I think not coming to the dark side until 40 plays a significant role - as in, arms & legs not shrinking and no old man looking muscles if that makes sense.
              Never take a long layoff. I usually take a week off for recovery every 12-16 weeks. Been at it since age of 18. Never touched aas til near 26. Feel like I’m growing more now than ever before. Maybe finally eating super clean in last 2.5 years contribute to that. I don’t eat calories like I used to but eat 350-450 grams of protein a day (yes, kidneys function good per blood work)compared to 200-300 years previously. The calories cut is from carbs. I take in anywhere from 150-300 carbs a day where used to, 300-600 a day. Maybe my body respond much better on much lower carbs. Don’t know the scientific of it but I do know it works for me. Fats been moderate so that never changed. Maybe a combo of metabolism slowing down (even tho still pretty high) and eating cleaner foods at the right macros??? Maybe a late bloomer? As I was 140 graduating out of High School, 170 at age of 24. Whatever it is, I’m gonna keep going til the day I die...

Comment

• Big B
                Banned
                • Jan 2016

^forgot the mention, using far less aas these last couple of years as well...

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

B how old are you amigo? Those latest pics you posted look damn good. Sounds like you are addicted to pumping iron as am I - have been since 15, so 39 years hittin' hard. Man how dafuq do you get in THAT much protein dude? 450g? I don't have near the appetite as 30 or even 20 years ago. I usually take in 2 lbs of some type of meat/chicken/fish ed, and then with whey, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese, I prolly get in around 300g or so. Some days only 200-250g. I remember reading an article by Coleman years ago saying his gains took off when he jumped from 300 to 500g ed. On the flipside, Yates said the opposite - that he didn't notice a diff between the two, so he lowered his intake down to 300-350 ed. Anyways, ya look committed brother - keep up the good work.

Comment

• rocco-x
                    Vet
                    • Feb 2009

This last month I'd swear I've got arthritis in my left knee.
                    I gotta sit down just to get my sweats off now

Comment

• Big B
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                      B how old are you amigo? Those latest pics you posted look damn good. Sounds like you are addicted to pumping iron as am I - have been since 15, so 39 years hittin' hard. Man how dafuq do you get in THAT much protein dude? 450g? I don't have near the appetite as 30 or even 20 years ago. I usually take in 2 lbs of some type of meat/chicken/fish ed, and then with whey, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese, I prolly get in around 300g or so. Some days only 200-250g. I remember reading an article by Coleman years ago saying his gains took off when he jumped from 300 to 500g ed. On the flipside, Yates said the opposite - that he didn't notice a diff between the two, so he lowered his intake down to 300-350 ed. Anyways, ya look committed brother - keep up the good work.

Nice to hear the compliments from someone like you. Thanks man. I’m 41. 5’9.5” 231.5 (as of Wed). Yes, anywhere from 375-450 as far as protein Intake. Always high regardless of what I’m trying to do. Once every 2-3 weeks I’ll drop my calories to 1500-2000 just to give body a break and help stay lean, if not leaner. Protein is the highest percentage of the 3 macros Yates who inspires me, after Arnold. The guy is just a hard working beast. Been a year or two since I last saw him but still look phenomenal. Coleman can get away with the massive macros he consumed which what him a massive mofo. He’s a cool guy. Just hope his health holds up. Love hearing advices from Kai Greene today. The guy just has brains and explains details well. He should had won against Phil that one year (2015, I believe it was) but NOOO, politics took it away from him. Just wished he would get back on stage. Hey, 300+lbs and sub 10%? The guy is just plain BEAST. When I first saw him he was in his 20s. He was big so don’t get me wrong, but thought no way in heck he would be in top 5 on Olympia stage. I was wrong. Not sure if it was Nameen who led him, as I didn’t follow Kai that early stage, but Kai just got jacked out of nowhere while maintaining a world class BB physique. Anyway, don’t mean to go on and on about the pros. Kai just the guy I listen to today. I took last 2 years off and will continue take off this summer. I’m hoping to get on stage next year at 300.....I mean 240 and sub 10%.

Comment

• millenium girl
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by liftsiron
                        All muscles decrease with age but the longer we work them, the longer they will hang in there.
                        I have cellulitis (orange peel) on my thighs (reason why I never wear shorts) but legs are still ok despite my knee issues and only bodyweight squats and lunges.
                        Don't forget to join
                        http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
                        http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• Glycomann

My legs went after my lower back issues. Knees don't help either. Leg work for me know is step mill, hams, adductors and abbductors, calves.

Comment

• legaljuicer
                            VET
                            • May 2005

I am not giving up on my legs growing. they are my weak point but at at almost 50 I am not giving up!!!
                            Being a Ninja and working in the shadows to be a Beast next year

Comment

Working...