Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Female Discussion > Female Training Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Liftingchic

Advances to women stregth training

Dispelling Common Myths Associated with Women and Strength Training
By Joe Aben

Posted on NaturalStrength.com on May 26, 2002

One of the most frequent requests I hear from female trainees is, “I don’t want to bulk up, I just want to tone the muscles I have.” Because I train a variety of people with different ages, gender, genetic make-ups, physical limitations, and goals, I personalize each workout taking all of these factors into account. When training women however, the biggest fear they usually have when they start a weight training (strength training) program is gaining muscle bulk.

A young male trainee once told me, “I can’t gain weight no matter what I do”. The truth is, teenage boys are able to gain muscular weight or “bulk up” easier than any person of any age group (male or female). The reason for this is the male hormone, testosterone. Men’s level of testosterone, which is the major element responsible for muscle bulk, usually peaks naturally in their bodies at about age 18.

The fact is, women carry very low levels of testosterone. It is impossible for women to build massive muscles like men because they have a very small amount of this hormone. This does not mean that women do not have a potential for developing muscle. Actually, the average woman gains strength at a slightly faster rate than the average man does.

Women have the ability of gaining numerous benefits from weight training. Some include: decrease in body fat percentage, increase in strength, increase in muscular tone, shape, and definition, better muscular control and condition, improved or maintained bone mass, and increased resting metabolic rate. These are just a few of the advantages for women who strength train. The wide array of potential benefits of strength training
(functional, mental, physical) are just as appropriate and available to women as they are to men.

Some other myths associated with women and strength training are: 1.) Lifting weights will make a woman muscle-bound. Truth: not only will proper weight training not make a woman less flexible, in most cases, it will make her more flexible. 2.) Myth: strength training requires big, intimidating, metal weights and barbells. Truth: muscles can’t discern 50 pounds of stress on a barbell from 50 pounds of stress imposed by one’s own bodyweight.

In summary, it is never too late for a woman to enhance the quality of her life by improving her level of muscular fitness. Through proper guidance by a qualified fitness professional or coach, women can initiate a weight training program without the fear of “bulking up” and at the same time gain all the benefits a man is capable of gaining.