Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
mrhtbd

mrhtbd has a spectacular aura aboutmrhtbd has a spectacular aura about
Negatives makes positives; 2 tons today x 4

It's no riddle for the initiate. Time and time again we resisted (the negative rep) only to get stronger because of it. "If you can't do one pull-up," Jules Bacon, Mr. America 1945 told me, "then do 5 sets of 10 negatives until you can!" "What's a negative," I asked? He replied, "The negative is the weight that will kill you unless you can slow it down!" The blank stare spurned him... "Get a chair," he said. He put it under the pull-up bar. "Now, grab the bar then jump up from the chair and hold your chin at the bar for a second, then descend to the count of ten." I did. "That's one rep," he said, "Now do five more." "But how does this help..." I asked? "Look," he said, "your negative resistant strength is more powerful than positive strength because your mind is weak." "It's a fact, and I can prove it, do 5x10 negatives 3x week and you'll be able to get 5 pull-ups in 3 weeks!" (I got 8!) Circa 1983.
Been doubting myself for over a year, but it's in there. It's got to be.
Yesterday and today we (two of us) formed 56 power boxes out out 100 lb sheets of galvanized 12 mil steel, 72"x52". That's 5600 lbs/day-x2, with 4 bends per box, meaning each 6' box got picked up, positioned, 4 bends with negatives by us, then carried over and stacked to shoulder level. That's a lot of work in 2 days, a lot of negative work. My wrists ache, hands and fingers are arthritic and weak, back and legs are feeling it, but we did it. Slept like a rock. Maybe I'll be sore from here-in, but today I feel I've surpassed that one pull-up, and at once, the neophyte steps into the light...
mrhtbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
This thread reminds me of the time I was attacked by a giant drunk fat woman in a bar and molested agaibst my will on the pool table.

I almost quit drinking after that. Almost....

Last edited by Darkness; 06-21-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Bananas
Vet

Bananas has a spectacular aura aboutBananas has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhtbd View Post
It's no riddle for the initiate. Time and time again we resisted (the negative rep) only to get stronger because of it. "If you can't do one pull-up," Jules Bacon, Mr. America 1945 told me, "then do 5 sets of 10 negatives until you can!" "What's a negative," I asked? He replied, "The negative is the weight that will kill you unless you can slow it down!" The blank stare spurned him... "Get a chair," he said. He put it under the pull-up bar. "Now, grab the bar then jump up from the chair and hold your chin at the bar for a second, then descend to the count of ten." I did. "That's one rep," he said, "Now do five more." "But how does this help..." I asked? "Look," he said, "your negative resistant strength is more powerful than positive strength because your mind is weak." "It's a fact, and I can prove it, do 5x10 negatives 3x week and you'll be able to get 5 pull-ups in 3 weeks!" (I got 8!) Circa 1983.
Been doubting myself for over a year, but it's in there. It's got to be.
Yesterday and today we (two of us) formed 56 power boxes out out 100 lb sheets of galvanized 12 mil steel, 72"x52". That's 5600 lbs/day-x2, with 4 bends per box, meaning each 6' box got picked up, positioned, 4 bends with negatives by us, then carried over and stacked to shoulder level. That's a lot of work in 2 days, a lot of negative work. My wrists ache, hands and fingers are arthritic and weak, back and legs are feeling it, but we did it. Slept like a rock. Maybe I'll be sore from here-in, but today I feel I've surpassed that one pull-up, and at once, the neophyte steps into the light...

That is true.. Good reminder. will do some neg reps today
Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote