What would you be willing to pay for a gym membership?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

Wish you the best brother. Hope you do well in your venture. They're is a serious hardcore Pl gym and bodybuilding dungeon down the street from me. This seems like weat you want to do. I'll find out what he charges and let you know so you have an idea.
    Last edited by b52; 06-22-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• b52
      • Oct 2006

This is the hardcore gym about a mile from me. I'd go here if I didn't have my own gym built at the house. Look over the site. Rates are cheap and this seems like the niche you want.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
        VET
        • May 2018

Pretty good prices for that part of town, but has a bit of a run down look. And thanks for the encouraging words. I wish you all the best as well.

Hawk

PS gonna post some pics of the previous gym.

Comment

• b52
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by chicken_hawk
          Pretty good prices for that part of town, but has a bit of a run down look. And thanks for the encouraging words. I wish you all the best as well.

Hawk

PS gonna post some pics of the previous gym.
          Cool. Would love to see it

Comment

• Dakota
            VET
            • Feb 2017

My take is all those "hardcore" lifters that say they will pay $60-100/month won't. Not a chance. It is easy to say it but when it comes time to swipe the Visa they will choose a cheaper gym.

B52 also has it right that we are an odd lot. A minority. Look around your gym, even the few hardcore gyms left. Make up and fashion, selfies and no sweat. Ask yourself why there are no hardcore gyms left? Because there is not enough interest.

I wish you only the best but I think you are being romantic rather than realistic. The yearly membership and low monthly works because you can way over sell and only a fraction of members ever show up after the first month. That is the business model that works. I had a friend who had a Gold's membership. It was $7/month and he said he hadn't been to the gym in 20 years, but he wouldn't cancel because it was $7/month.

I think a realistic sell is under $29.99/month maybe up to $45 if there is a serious lack of availability in the area.
            Last edited by Dakota; 06-24-2018, 05:06 PM.
            The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• TommyD
              • Apr 2018

I just can't do heavy weights anymore....or bench or squat or deadlift, I'm too old and broken from all the years of doing all I can't do anymore so hardcore gyms just aren't an interest for me. I go for clean facility, machines that are repaired quickly if they break down, a good selection of equipment like selectorized and plate load and a decent selection of cardio equipment. If they occassionally bring in new equipment AND they ask the membership what equipment they would like to be brought in I would be willing to pay a slightly higher membership.

I also like gyms where the front staff is friendly and bonus points if they remember my name.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                VET
                • May 2018

Originally posted by TommyD
                I just can't do heavy weights anymore....or bench or squat or deadlift, I'm too old and broken from all the years of doing all I can't do anymore so hardcore gyms just aren't an interest for me. I go for clean facility, machines that are repaired quickly if they break down, a good selection of equipment like selectorized and plate load and a decent selection of cardio equipment. If they occassionally bring in new equipment AND they ask the membership what equipment they would like to be brought in I would be willing to pay a slightly higher membership.

I also like gyms where the front staff is friendly and bonus points if they remember my name.
                I totally get that. And your points about cleanliness and staff are well recieved as well. Hardcore does not need to be dirty and lazy and cheap.

Hawk

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

You can't be serious, right?

Hawk, like I said before, if we're talking $60 and the only other hardcore gym around is 30+ minutes away, I don't see any problem. But $100 is not realistic IMO. I live in a small town of population around 20k, and I go to 1 of 2 "hardcore" gyms in my area. There is also a Planet Fitness and Anytime Fitness. The gym I go to had 90 members when PF and AF came to town, and it still has 90 members - didn't lose one member. While I don't pay $60 per month & it's only $35 per month, I'd bet due to the hardcore members we have, that even if it were $60, nobody would leave. Hell 90% of them joke about the lunk alarms and 75lb db's. Atmosphere is EVERYTHING for the hardcore guy -guys busting ass, hard rock/metal on the sounds, chalk bins everywhere, etc. No hardcore guy is going to leave for a gym that only has a Smith machine with no barbells, 75lb db's and Mariah Carey blaring with smells of donuts or pizza lingering around pffttt. You being in a city of 300k should have a shitload more hardcore members than in this puny town haha.

Comment

• TommyD
                    • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                    You can't be serious, right?
                    Dead serious. If I'm going to pay above the local going price for a membership I would like the respect of those whom I pay their wage. Maybe you don't care but I know others do, everybody likes to be remembered. How frickin hard is it to remember a persons name, it's part of a service and it shows they care about membership. You have your opinion and I have mine, no use on ranking on me for it. I can go to a cheaper gym, no issues. I recently left my gym of 8 years because the front staff was indifferent when people walked in, too busy on their phone to even look up, let alone say 'good morning'. Report a broken piece of equipment and they still couldn't make eye contact AND the equipment stayed broken for far too long, one time it was 3 MONTHS before it got fixed. The locker room stunk and crap stayed on the floor far too long before it was cleaned. Showers didn't work and were filthy.

You want me to pay more? Give me a reason to do so. Sorry if you disagree but your opinion is your opinion, don't insult me for mine.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Dead serious. If I'm going to pay above the local going price for a membership I would like the respect of those whom I pay their wage. Maybe you don't care but I know others do, everybody likes to be remembered. How frickin hard is it to remember a persons name, it's part of a service and it shows they care about membership. You have your opinion and I have mine, no use on ranking on me for it. I can go to a cheaper gym, no issues. I recently left my gym of 8 years because the front staff was indifferent when people walked in, too busy on their phone to even look up, let alone say 'good morning'. Report a broken piece of equipment and they still couldn't make eye contact AND the equipment stayed broken for far too long, one time it was 3 MONTHS before it got fixed. The locker room stunk and crap stayed on the floor far too long before it was cleaned. Showers didn't work and were filthy.

You want me to pay more? Give me a reason to do so. Sorry if you disagree but your opinion is your opinion, don't insult me for mine.
                      Didn't insult you - only trippin' bcoz never heard of anyone before who put having their name remembered as a priority at a gym. I didn't say shit about you paying more. I go to the gym to train and could give a ratz ass if someone remembers my name or not. Yeah opinions vary for sure.

Comment

• b52
                        • Oct 2006

Do you 2 need a hug?

Comment

Working...