X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chicken_hawk
    VET
    • May 2018

Stupid things I learned from my in laws

About a month ago my in-laws made the 1300 mile trek by car to visit as they do each year and each year I'm torn between it being my house, them being my in-laws as well as being petty. But this year they taught a few things.

First, when they hard a hard time finding a pet friendly motel during the trip out and back so my wife suggested the obvious reserving a room in advance. The reply was, we don't do that because we like to have a plan...wtf? Plus, they don't have smart phones as they refuse to conform. So, a good plan involves not planning.

Two, at dinner time we usually say Grace before we dig in, but when her dad's around I pass it off to him so when my wife made a big pot roast dinner I sat down and was waiting but everyone to say Grace but everyone started getting their portions. I am fine, God surely could care less about that. But, then when we had KFC two days later I started to grab my food and was told they were waiting to pray. Lesson two, pray after beef but before chicken.

Tres, I asked my wife to grab me another butter knife one night as I don't like a single one putting food back in the butter dish (I'm OCD this way), her mom said we already have one. To which I replied my dishwasher doesn't mind. Sure enough two nights later there were none on the table, the second damn time we had KFC so her mom asked for a butter knife, but just one because she could share. Lesson three, dishwashers refuse to clean more than one butter knife.

Anyway, it is always the longest week of my life every year, but I always come away learning some good life lessons.

Hawk
  • Friggemall

Wait until your wife turns into her mom, lol.

Comment

• A1food4u

Fight the good fight.... don't let your wife turn into her mom... this is a conversation that takes place in our house regularly

Comment

• Dakota
        VET
        • Feb 2017

As long as your wife has your back for the long haul you just smile and let it go. I would have an issue with them not observing grace in my household too and it would likely be the one area I would speak up and let everyone know we say grace in this household before eating. That is just BASIC respect.

The rest of it not worth the battle. One week a year of eating crap in not worth the downside of alienating the in laws and potentially causing a riff between you and your wife. Don't let them have that power.
        The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Roughrydr
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Friggemall
          Wait until your wife turns into her mom, lol.
          ROTFL!!!
          OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Big B
            Banned
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dakota
            As long as your wife has your back for the long haul you just smile and let it go. I would have an issue with them not observing grace in my household too and it would likely be the one area I would speak up and let everyone know we say grace in this household before eating. That is just BASIC respect.

The rest of it not worth the battle. One week a year of eating crap in not worth the downside of alienating the in laws and potentially causing a riff between you and your wife. Don't let them have that power.
            Agree...

Comment

• chicken_hawk
              VET
              • May 2018

Ha ha, actually my wife sees it too. She is an odd duck in that over the years she has become less emotion driven and more reason driven. Which is why when here parents say, we like to have a plan and it makes no sense, it drives her crazy. If anything I have to worry about her becoming more like me... That's the scary thought. LOL

Hawk

Comment

Working...