Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd
    • Apr 2015

Three mangled fingers

Sitting in the lunch room today the three of us heard yelling and screaming from the shop. After a, "What the hell," and a few blinks we all got up and ran to the shop. A guy had his hand stuck in a 30 ton break. I ran across the shop and the people there were trying to figure out what to do. He had hit the emergency stop but too late. The power button was around the side. I yelled to turn on the power to some confusion. A guy from the other shop who trained me came over and I said, "hit the power," which he did, then he ran around and reset the height before lifting the break. It's a tricky old dinosaur. You can't run it through the cycle because it would continue to press to a prescribed pressure, but you had to lift the blade as if it was an errant press you wanted to abort. Long story short the damage was done. I had them call 911. He was white as a ghost and in total shock. He asked for water and someone gave him a cup, which shouldn't be done for shock, but I let it slide. The hand was totally mangled. He just told me last week he wanted to move to Williamsburg, VA with his brother and try to get work as a turboprop aircraft mechanic. That's out of the question now. It's a shame but was totally due to negligence. The company manager came to speak with me and asked, "What happened?" I had to be honest. He was putting a 90 degree bend in a 28"x2" piece of steel (longways). I said, "He was working through lunch after working 7 hours, big mistake. The mind needs a break from the monotony. He was doing 2 different things with his hands, further dividing concentration, he reached across the metal strip after the bend to remove it from the machine, placing his fingers between the blades (huge mistake), and he failed to remove his foot from the pedal between presses. He reached across to retrieve the piece, while his left hand was getting a new piece from the table, and his foot touched the pedal; releasing the break." "How do you know he had metal in his left hand," the manager asked? "Easy," I said, "he gouged the surface of the emergency brake button with it." I showed him. He panicked. He should have hit the "lift" green button, but he panicked and hit the stop button. On the floor was a piece of metal. "And he dropped the piece of steel at his feet. "You never reach between the blades of the brake under any circumstances. Multiple mistakes from a guy in a hurry to get done and leave early!" Lately people have been trying to get me to be faster on the break and even use one hand but I refused. Then I said, "The next time someone tries to get me to work faster on the break, I'm turning off the machine and taking a ten minute break!" "Life is short enough," I said, "don't be in a hurry to kill yourself, it'll surely happen in its own time!"
  • ozzy69
    Assistant Admin
    • Jun 2011

That sucks

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Not good.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Glycomann

That sucks. I use to work in a shop with heavy machinery. I did it for a long ass time. I was lucky. A lot of the older guys were missing fingers.

Comment

• bufbiker

Pictures!#! I want to see.

Comment

• mrhtbd
            • Apr 2015

News: we found out they can save his fingers. Six week rehab and a "we'll see." Luckily he released the foot pedal in time for the break to stop at trapping his fingers but without the force of a full press. The nerves are intact. He will always know when the rain is coming! Now the want me to do it, great, the "Darling of Demise!" Lol! "Bring it on Bitches!" (Maybe if I got some Vag my hands wouldn't be so steady!

Comment

• MindlessWork
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mrhtbd
              News: we found out they can save his fingers. Six week rehab and a "we'll see." Luckily he released the foot pedal in time for the break to stop at trapping his fingers but without the force of a full press. The nerves are intact. He will always know when the rain is coming! Now the want me to do it, great, the "Darling of Demise!" Lol! "Bring it on Bitches!" (Maybe if I got some Vag my hands wouldn't be so steady!
              Damn that's lucky. Bet the bones were shattered however.
              “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• millenium girl
                • Apr 2006

Glad the fingers can be saved.
                Don't forget to join
                http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
                http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• bufbiker

(Maybe if I got some Vag my hands wouldn't be so steady!
                  Quit taking yourself so seriously. Joke around with the women, even if it's slightly inappropriate, but not creepy like you want to eat the crap under her toe nails , and have fun with thrm. Insult them. Compliment them. All without expectation. Chicks sense desperation. But they also can sense confidence and being comfortable in your own skin.
                  I had a woman the other day said she would love to find out why I was so confident. Not about anything particular, but about myself. I told her I would show her if she ever really wanted to know and had an hour or two. I can't see the future, but I know she's interested, and I've got a shot.

Comment

• Darkness
                    • Apr 2011

How serious is this? Can he still have sex?

Comment

• mrhtbd
                      • Apr 2015

Turns out the owner went to get the guy's lunchbox for him and saw beer in it. The guy was drinking at work running heavy and dangerous equipment. The owner said he would still pay the medical, but let the guy know he knew. "Some people have problems," he said. Made me think seriously about my drinking. I did it after work but was it any different? A sobering thought for sure!

Comment

• Dakota
                        VET
                        • Feb 2017

Turns out the owner went to get the guy's lunchbox for him and saw beer in it. The guy was drinking at work running heavy and dangerous equipment. The owner said he would still pay the medical, but let the guy know he knew. "Some people have problems," he said. Made me think seriously about my drinking. I did it after work but was it any different? A sobering thought for sure!
                        I don't know where you are from but paying for the medical is not a choice for the owner. If you are injured on the job in this country it doesn't matter if you were high on heroine doing a trapeze act covered in vaseline. The owner is on the hook. I have had guys get hurt and they blood tests show they were high. The owner still gets fucked.
                        The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

Working...