X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    VET
    • Feb 2017

What a difference the right office manager can make

I had to replace my office manager on short notice a couple months back. The first hire quit after 1 day. WTH?

So I called my second choice in for an interview. She has a great resume, letters of recommendation and plenty of experience. To be honest the reason she wasn't my first choice is because I felt I could get a younger candidate at a better wage.

So I dial up this Norwegian woman and ask her to come in for a face to face. I wonder what my face looked like when the woman with a Norwegian name opens the front door and she is a Serena Williams look alike. After the initial surprise we talked and I come to the conclusion she is going to work.

Due to the short notice I got from the previous manager she got two whopping days of training in a very specialized and highly regulated business.

Well, it has been a couple months and this woman dug in from day one and made the office her own. She reworked most everything, the office is more organized than in the last 20 years. She is a quick study and she also does her homework before she just runs in with a question. She has done things on her own that has taken me hours to teach other office staff.

What a blessing it is to have the right person working for you. My job is going to be so much easier when she gets time under her belt.

It is easy to bitch, but we need to be thankful when things go well for us.
    The older I get the better I used to be.
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Lucky and rare my friend, hold on to her.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Friggemall

Does she put out?

LOL

Finding someone you can count on makes work life so much easier. I had one worthless lady working for me that I could not wait for her to get another job. Never did anything I could fire her for (civil service so it's hard anyway). I gave her glowing recommendations and finally she left life has been good since!

Comment

• bufbiker

I had a great secretary for several years. She left after her mother died so she could move up north and take care of her father. She found and hired her own replacement. I couldn't be happier with her. She's a pain in the ass sometimes. But I know I'm an asshole to work for, especially if I e been out all night moonlighting. She makes my life better for sure. Just like a good old lady does.

Comment

• Joe0690
          Vet
          • Mar 2007

Especially in small departments where you have 7-8 people one right person can make all the difference vs one wrong person

Comment

Working...