Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd
    • Apr 2015

Prescription for lasix

My right lower leg, the one I broke on 2/22/16, has been very swollen. It's almost 4" across the ankle. The left ankle is not swollen so I have ruled out edema, but in combination with high BP my Doctor wants to reduce fluid pressure. Also, to combat the constant coughing fits from last year's (14 months) exposure to sewer gas, she prescribed "Singulair." The lasix was only 10mg and only for 10 days. Strangely, the coughing fits ended, then started again 3 days after the tenth tablet. The fourth day after I had 6 fits so I called the Doc. She put me on another 10 days. Took one yesterday and no coughing fits yet. Here's the thing, I know lasix is considered dangerous because of loss of electrolytes so I have added electrolyte effervescent tablets to water each day as a supplement. I also use Himalayan Sea Salt, which has over 70 different natural minerals and supposedly helps retain intercellular water. Combined with the Singulair I pee all the time; up each hour at night, but I continually hydrate. My question, without buying supplements, how can I maintain potassium levels for the next 10 days? Good news; my stomach has been flattened at least 4" since January and I am down 4 beltloops. I can see my feet again which is great. I lost 25 lbs since January and have kept it off 3 weeks now. Hydrogen Sulfide (sewer gas) takes at least 84 days to get out of organs and cells. Water-shedding is the primary mode of removal. It makes sense why the Lasix is working. My last day of exposure was on March 13th. The leg swelling hasn't reduced much, so I figure it's not so much edema as a need to tighten the muscles again. Hope for some help with the potassium issue.
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

You can take 20-40mgs ed for years normally w/o problems just eating a regular diet.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Bananas
      Vet
      • Nov 2005

You should ask you doctor to get an echo cardiogram; to measure your heart function. The fact that you are having coughing spells that resolve with lasix use, point to the fact that there maybe fluid building up.in your lungs; which lasix is taking away hence resolving the coughing.
      One of the most common cause of fluid building(backing) up in lungs is Diastolic Heart Failure and Systolic Hear Failure. Symptoms of both of which are improved by lasix.
      Just a though.
      Last edited by Bananas; 04-23-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Bananas
        Vet
        • Nov 2005

Also the potassium need for every one on lasix is different. The only way to tell is by your doctor repeating blood work and seeing if you need to be on a potassium replacement. 10 mg is a low dose of lasix just an FYI.

Comment

• mrhtbd
          • Apr 2015

Three weeks ago I went to the ER complaining of shortness of breath. The fact was the coughing fits were so bad I couldn't breath and thought I would pass out. They put me on an EKG for 2 1/2 hours, then gave me a chest x-rays. The doctor said my heart was fine, "nothing wrong with it," she said. Then she said my lungs were fine, too, no fluid build-up or other issues. They compared my x-ray with the last one I had in 2013 and there was no issue. They sent me home with an inhaler.

Comment

• Bananas
            Vet
            • Nov 2005

EKG and CXR tell part of the story but not the whole picture. There are many tests the heart as to be looked at through.

You could have Increase pressure in your lung vein, (increase pulmonary capillary wedge pressure), without having overt abnormalities on Xray. one could have diastolic and systolic heart failure with completely normal CXR.

Trust me when I say the ER's job is not to make a chronic diagnosis for you. There job is to make sure you are not having any acute exacerbation of a chronic disease.

Anyways, Just sharing with you my opinion from my experience.

Not saying you have anything, and I hope you dont, but from the thread you posted a good primary care doctor would check it out.

Comment

Working...