HELP, off cycle and I'm shrinking daily!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deacon
    Vet
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Glycomann
    Coming off I usually drop the intensity a bit, number of sets and go from 5 workout days to 4 workout days. It helps. A long long time ago I use to do like you and be stubborn about it when I came off and do actually more a I came off. invariably I dropped size really fast. Then at one point I was too busy with work and could only train 2-3 times a week and i kept more gains for longer. Then I thought about it.

As the body comes off it is going from anabolic to catabolic. No matter the more stress that is put on the body the more catabolic it will become. So I finally learned that the ting to do for a period of time was to drop intensity and ride out the catabolic period. Eat lean, high protein, lowish carbs, do a little more low intensity cardio like running outside or some sprints, and don't as in DO NOT train to failure. That stays in place for a few months then slowly work back.

It actuality, this sort of deload has some very positive effects. The joints and tendons are rested. When we go off nearly all of us feel brittle as the androgens lave and catabolistic metabolism races. Coming off is the most vulnerable period for injury. You can back off and after 16 weeks have a stronger underlying connective tissue structure, or go balls to the wall, lose a lot of gains and be riddled with tendonitis or worse.

Best thing to do is back off and eat clean. Then when you start feeling yourself again, usually by week 10 or 12, start putting the pedal down slowly. I'm getting pretty old but 2 years ago I ent through this style of recovery. I completely stopped squating and deadlifting. By week 12 I started up squatting and DL again. By week 16 I was squating 315 for sets of 15 and had put on 7 lbs naturally. My back, knees and hamstrings were feeling great and then I went back on. I was squatting in the mid 500s again in no time at 50 years of age.

Now years back in the past I would have be stubborn and went balls to the wall the whole time and pulled a hamstring really badly, strained my lower back and had a shitty cycle the next time at bat. The big lesson in this is thing longer term and reap the benefits.

pretty good advice
    Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
    "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• Glycomann

Yeah I think OP will notice now that guys that have been at this for a while have pretty much figured this out.

Comment

• Deacon
        Vet
        • Jan 2005

number 1 mistake of guys coming off - trying to train like they are still on
        Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
        "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• gotclen
          Vet
          • Nov 2011

Hello, You started off about how you are shrinking everyday. IMO that is merely water. You should still be keeping your calories up. You say your body needs the break. We all do. 2 weeks should do the trick. I would start back with the lesser work sets like the guys said and increase the the rep range per set. Take a few weeks starting back by pumping those muscle full of blood and nutrients. Not about the weight more about the crazy pump into the muscle. This will continue the rest to the tendons and still keep the muscles full of glycogen.

Best of luck,
          GC

Originally posted by craigs
          Starting my second week of PCT and am literally shrinking daily. My body has been screaming to give it a break, especially my shoulders and tendons so I haven't picked up any iron for 8 days and promised myself a minimum of 3 weeks before I start training again off cycle. I don't think I can wait that long? I trained hard and heavy while on but body has paid the price, any help out there or advice whenever I start back up on what type of training I should do off cycle?
          My last cycle I trained like this:

4 SETS/6-10 REPS depending how I felt that day
          I train by myself in my garage and don't have a spotter so I HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL and know that I can squeeze another rep out.
          Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

• jrod
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by craigs
            I don't have my log book in front of me so depending what muscle groups I'm working is something like this:

Chest Day
            4 sets Incline Barbell Press
            4 sets Decline Barbell Press
            4 sets Flat Barbell Press
            Increasing by 10 pounds for each set

3-4 Sets of Incline Dumbell Flys
            3-4 Sets of Flat Dumbell Flys

4 Sets Incline Dumbell Press
            4 Sets Flat Dumbell Press

4 Sets of sitting Machine Cable Press

I work out in my garage so I only have one cable machine and the rest are free weights and dumbells.
            I always alternated between barbells and dumbells, never did both on the same day. I guess as long as it works for you...

Comment

Working...