X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Age and metabolism.

I think that old fats guys that blame their weight on a drop in in metabolism are full of shit as well as lazy. I'm one of the oldest guys on here. I dropped my calories from 3400 daily to 1800 and increased the volume of my workouts. I dropped 18 lbs in the last 21 days w/o any aerobics. No doubt some is water weight, but the change in appearance is very noticeable judging by the number of positive comments I've been getting at the gym.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • Mondo
    Banned
    • Dec 2012

The drop in metabolism does occur with age, but one should adjust their caloric intake / activity level to compensate.

Comment

• Shovel
      VET
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Mondo
      The drop in metabolism does occur with age, but one should adjust their caloric intake / activity level to compensate.
      Agreed.
      Semper Fi

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Activity normally decreases with, less activity equals lower metabolism. I hear a lot of fat older guys blame age on being fat, it's the fact that their lazy and don't exercise any where near as much as they did 10-20 years before. Recent studies indicate that if you stay active your metabolism only decreases about 1% per decade not 10% as was previously thought.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Glycomann

Lots of factors but I think if you find the food and training that works for your body you can stay lean and fit all your life pretty much. Most people don't listen to their body or ignore their body. it will tell you what it likes and doesn't like. Things do change over time. Otherwise there would be athletes peaking at 70.

Comment

• A.B
            VET
            • Jun 2004

I find its on a 5 year increments of adjusting diet and excercise slightly to accommodate the change in body. It's not drastic but you're 100% right that people are the worst and there life stage. Factoring in kids, work, sleep, supps. I think metabolism is not a major factor tho

Comment

• Player
              • Mar 2016

The key to s healthy metabolism is multiple orgasms daily .

Comment

• bufbiker

I think genetics play a role to some degree. But I do agree that 90% of age related weight gain is just poor diet, excessive food intake or just preferring TV over the treadmill.

Comment

• bufbiker

Originally posted by Player
                  The key to s healthy metabolism is multiple orgasms daily .
                  I'm spent after one. I can still get it up but nothing happens for me after the first one. It takes around 24 hours for my body to reload.

Comment

• Player
                    • Mar 2016

I agree on the genetic thing. Many other factors you all know what the easy stuff is.

I'm blessed to be long and lean even though I often have cheat weeks instead of cheat meals. Cheat days are usually every other day anyway.

To demonstrate my point, My dad and uncles never worked out a day in their life intentionally other than when they are very young in the military. Yet none of them had any kind of gut on them until they were in their 60s. And that's eating good ol country home cookin.

Yet in Contrast my poor wife, who is also very lean, has to fight every day to stay that way. She's so carb sensitive that I think if a bread crumb touched her hand she's gain eight pounds of fat and six of water. She's eating a chicken breast wrapped in lettuce while I devour pisza and ice cream. It's fun.

Anyhow her mom and sisters, unlike my kin, are so fat that they have their own gravitational field. Little kids and other house items and get sucked into the gravitational pull as they merely walk by, going into orbit around the ladies forever. It giggles and wiggles too.

Comment

• Friggemall

I know that for me, I had a super high metabolism when young (in my 20's I weighed 125-135 and ate like a horse) and up to 45 y/o. between 30 & 35 I was dumping in 5000 calories a day with food and weight gainers and not gaining anything. Seriously, almost nothing...like 8 pounds max in those 5 years. My body wanted to weight 170-175. BTW I'm 6'-2". Once I hit 45 my body decided 185-195 was what it wanted to be unless some stress or life crisis interfered but then it came back to 195 ish.

Then when I hit 50 y/o my body liked 205 and it would hover between 205 & 210 depending what I was on. A year and a half ago in January 2015 I had got up to 220 and all of a sudden gained 15 pounds to hit 230 during that month. I thought I had a rapid growing tumor and wen to the doc...nope just got a fat gut from eating shit food, not many calories but too much potatoes and mac n cheese with my chicken . I could not get rid of it either. My body was now happy at 230 even with cutting calories, intensifying workouts and adding the dreaded cardio. So I added HGH and it is helping me lean out I'm down to 225 ish and am 55 y/o. I do need to add the cardio back in though as I am carrying too much of the old man gut still.

Comment

Working...