Kat's "Off Season" Training

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KitKat

Kat's "Off Season" Training

It’s time to start a new log and I’m a little confused as to what my workouts will consist of or what my winter time goals will be. Mainly I want to focus on bringing some of the strength I lost during my endurance training back. I also want to increase my long runs and increase my speed.

I think the game plan is to hit the weights 3 days a week and hour each session.
    One day will focus on back/biceps and core, another day on legs and core and the last day on back/biceps and core.
    I’m going to run 2-3 days a week. One day working at the track on speed intervals, another day to just take it easy and have an enjoyable run and the remaining day spent on adding distance. I’m now at 16 miles and would like to get up to 20-22 comfortably.
    I’ll allocate at least 1 day if not 2 in the pool swimming laps and I went to get in 1-2 spin sessions on the bike.
    I’ll be working out 6 days a week with a few double headers.
    I’ll also be doing a few races, but not as race pace, these will just be for fun and fund raising.
    I’m going to switch up my nutrition again and probably have a few more caloric deficient days. I’d like to cut down a bit. I’m looking at a 50/35/15 break down. I can’t cut out my carbs too much because I will still be doing some endurance training. I also want to cut down on the sugar since I won’t be needing it as much.
    I am allowing myself a “Holiday/Bday” cheat month in December. I have to give myself some time to just “let lose”. Ok, so now after I have re-read this I guess I’m not so confused and I have a good game plan in place.

This week and next will focus on my active recovery from my ½ ironman.
    My next endurance event is Sunday Oct 7th, I’m doing my first Century ride. The only reason I’m doing this is for the carmel apples at the aid station. I can’t justify eating them any other way : )

Wednesday morning swim

200 Warm up

2 x 50; rest 10
    1 x 100; rest 10
    1 x 200; rest 15
    1 x 300; rest 30
    1 x 400; rest 30
    1 x 500; rest 60
    1 x 400; rest 30
    1 x 300; rest 30
    1 x 200; rest 15
    1 x 100; rest 10
    2 x 50; rest 10

200 cool down

Total 3100 meters
  • goes4ever
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by KitKat
    I’m going to run 2-3 days a week. One day working at the track on speed intervals, another day to just take it easy and have an enjoyable run and the remaining day spent on adding distance. I’m now at 16 miles and would like to get up to 20-22 comfortably.
    is this per week?

Comment

• CathyFlora

Originally posted by goes4ever
      is this per week?
      hahahahha

Comment

• KitKat

Originally posted by goes4ever
        is this per week?
        Nope, per day. 16-22 will be my long distance days, then I'll do a 4.5-6 mile track workout day and then a 6-8 mile day. Weekly total will probably come out to around 28-33 miles.

Comment

• KitKat

Originally posted by CathyFlora
          hahahahha
          I know that made me LMAO too. It's a new site though, people just don't know yet :P

Comment

• SarahPT
            AE Female Member
            • Sep 2007

Sounds like an awesome plan. The day you do your century run I'll be doing my half.

I have the same plan over winter: a few races, mostly for fun, nothing too serious.
            Personal trainer, sports nutritionist, figure coach, freelance writer, distance runner, and insane person

http://www.sarahpersonaltraining.com

Comment

• KitKat

I did a 60 min spin class during lunch. It was not a good class. The instructor sucked and didn't lead by example. She would have us do climbs or sprints while adding resistance and she would be bouncing out of the saddle. How the hell do you climb a hill or sprint bouncing around? It means you don't have enough resistance added and are setting yourself up for injury. I ended up complaining to the manager about her. It was a rather disappointing start to my spin season. Oh well, I'll have to stick to Paula on Sat. mornings or my trainer at home.
              On another note I was at my anaerobic threshold for 60% of the class. This is too much too soon. I realized that I haven't fully recovered from the 1/2 iron and this class taxed my energy too soon. I'll have to stick to LSD workouts for the next week or so. So sad, I <3 going breathless.

Comment

• goes4ever
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by KitKat
                Nope, per day. 16-22 will be my long distance days, then I'll do a 4.5-6 mile track workout day and then a 6-8 mile day. Weekly total will probably come out to around 28-33 miles.
                holy cow!!!! :headbange

Comment

• KitKat

I took Friday off as an extra day of recovery. My full body released a lot of toxins from my full body massage I received Thurs. night and my body was achy all day. At night I walked 4 miles and fund raised for the Light The Night Walk to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphona Society. We had a great turn out. 1800+ walkers. I also ran into the daughters of a women which whom I look up to like a godmother. She lost her husband to Leukemia two years ago. I hugged her daughters and told them I was sorry for their loss and I really loved their family. We all got teary eyed.
                  Saturday morning I did a 60 min spin class with my favorite instructor Paula. I was able to maintain my anaerobic zone for 15 mins, much better then the 40 mins I wasted away last Thursday. We did a lot of intervals, climbs and time trails. It was a great class. That night I hiked 3 miles up to camp with a 20 lb packback, this kicked my tail.
                  Sunday I woke up at camp and did a 90 min trail run. It was absolutely beautiful. It was raining and I was drenched but it didn't matter, I was surrounded by the forrest and lots of waterfalls. This was by far one of the best trail runs I have done. I rolled my ankle, but no serious damage, just enough to make me walk for a minute. After the run I hiked another 2 miles back to the car with 20lb backpack again.
                  Now I'm tired. Tomorrow morning I will start weights back up.

Comment

• Goblin6

Good to see you hitting the weights again, just don't get discouraged, you have been doing a totally different style of training. so there is going to be a drop off. Just be aware of it and move forward.

Comment

• KitKat

I hit the weights today. First time since the end of May. I took it light and just lifted to maintain strength. I fell ok now but am pretty sure I will get DOMS soon. Each set I did went down 10-15 lbs lower then last May. I've grown weak and I don't like it....over time I will regain my strength.

10 min warm up on elliptical, avg HR 130
                      Cable fly 15lbs; 3 sets of 20; rest 10 (chest)
                      High to low woodchop 5 lbs, 3 sets of 20 ; rest 5 per side (core)
                      Tricep pulldown 10lbs; 3 sets of 20 sinlge arm; rest 10 (triceps)
                      Bent-Arm Dumbbell Pullover 15 lbs, 3 sets of 20; rest 10 (Compound chest)
                      Bench Dips; 3 sets of 20; rest 10 (Compound tricep)
                      Ab Crunch Machine 10lbs; 3 sets of 25; rest 15 (isolation abs)
                      Tricep Pushdown 40 lbs; 3 sets of 20; rest 15 (Isolation tricep)
                      Butterfly Machine 40lbs; 3 sets of 20; rest 15 (Isolation chest)
                      50 crunches, 25 x 2 side crunches, 50 low ab crunch or lift; rest 15 (abs)
                      Knee Hip Raise using the Roman Chair 3x2 straight, 1 side to side sets of 20; rest 15 (Isolation abs)
                      2 Straight planks holding for 1 min, 2 side to side planks holding 45

Summary, 10 min cardio warm up, 50 mins strength training. Avg HR 110
                      I've also started my new nutrition plan. I'm working off of 50/35/15 and trying to be caloric deficient 4 days of the week by 300-500 calories. I'm still doing some endurance training here and there so this will be modified to account for those days. I'll post my daily caloric breakdown's the following day.

Comment

• Goblin6

Nice job Katie. Looks like a solid approach.

Comment

• KitKat

Caloric intake for Monday 10/1/07
                          Carbs 314.46 60%
                          Fiber 70.45 14%
                          ECC 244.01 48%
                          Protein 171.48 34%
                          Fat 29.01 13%

My oh My, my triceps and chest are burning today. The good kind of burn though, I knew this was going to happen.

I got up at 5am and did a 60 min spin class this morning. I held back and took the class light. Never hit anaerobic and managed a healthy 152 avg HR. I wanted to conserve some energy. I'll go back at noon to get my bicep and back work out in.

Comment

• ironmaidn

Wow your training seems really cool! One question...do you ever incorporate training your legs like doing squats, leg press, lunges etc. while building strength for your runs? I know this may go against the grain of your training regime but I have noticed when I do jog (notice I said, jog (10 minute mile) not run) I sprint toward the end I have noticed my speed has increased tremendously when kicking out that last 1/4 mile as a sprint. I think this is due to my heavy leg day training? I know there is a huge difference between slow twitch and fast twitch muscle training and your goals are for endurance not bulky muscles. Just thought I would ask if you ever tried that?

Love reading your log though....Great job!

Comment

• KitKat

Originally posted by ironmaidn
                              Wow your training seems really cool! One question...do you ever incorporate training your legs like doing squats, leg press, lunges etc. while building strength for your runs? I know this may go against the grain of your training regime but I have noticed when I do jog (notice I said, jog (10 minute mile) not run) I sprint toward the end I have noticed my speed has increased tremendously when kicking out that last 1/4 mile as a sprint. I think this is due to my heavy leg day training? I know there is a huge difference between slow twitch and fast twitch muscle training and your goals are for endurance not bulky muscles. Just thought I would ask if you ever tried that?

Love reading your log though....Great job!
                              Thanks!

I haven't since May. I used to lift 3-4 days a week (one day allocated to heavy legs) but as my mileage increased my cortisol levels followed and I over trained. So I had to stop lifting all together. Plus it was really hard to find the time when my endurance traing took up 2-6 hours a day. BUT now I am in my off season and will allocate one day to heavy legs, this week it will be Friday. But since it is the first leg day in over 4 months I will have to start light. I think building the muscle up will actually benefit my climbs on the bike more then the runs. I don't want to bulk them up too much. It would help for sprinting a bit but not so much for my long distance. Track workouts will be the best thing I can do to increase my speed. Track starts next week

Comment

Working...