Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt76
    • May 2007

Matt76's Training Log

I currently weigh 233 at 5'10-11" and am 19years old. A couple months ago I was 250 and benched 365x5paused. And before that I hit 405 touch and go when I could only pause 375x1. I have since started cutting a screwed myself the first month by not taking in enough fats and lost some muscle. Since then I have been trying to get on track with the timed carb diet and things seem to be going better. I just started to really lift last school year(freshman in college) and had to quit over the summer b/c I am a roofer in the summer and couldn't handle the workload. So really this is my 4semester working out and things seem to be going pretty good.

Lately I have been expiermenting with my grip on bench. Most of the time I use a ring finger on ring, but I am going to start competing this summer so I decided to start using comp grip which is much wider. I started this, this past week and really liked it so I will continue to do so.

My squats aren't very good b/c I just really started doing them this year.

Lastly I base my bench pretty much on a PL type routine except based more for a raw bencher. Also I almost never curl but am going to start
  • Matt76
    • May 2007

My workout from Friday

Heavy Bench Day

Wide competition grip Bench(all sets paused)- barx10 85x5 135x5 185x3 225x3 275x1 315x1 330x5not bad

3inch Rack Lockouts(pinky on ring)
    - 275x3 365x2 405x2 455x2PR 500x1PR 550x1PR 600x1PR held 15secs

Front DB Raises
    - 35'sx5 45'sx5 50'sx5

Did some BB curls nothing worth mentioning

Hammer Curls- 50'sx3 65'sx5

rotator work

Very happy with this workout. I felt really strong and everythign went well. The fucking 600 was fucking sweeet. After I let it down it felt like my fucking bones in my forearm were going to break, but it was still great.

Editing: just wanted to add that the 330 wasn't even really hard all reps went pretty smooth I mean that last 2 were a bit slower but still all good

Comment

• Matt76
      • May 2007

today's workout

DE Bench

Speed Bench- barx10 85x5 135x5 185x3 190+bandsx2 190+bandsx3 8sets (I used the purple band I believe that is the light one and only used one and strung it under the bench. needless to say I had quite a bit of band tension and it was awesome)

DB Flat Bench
      - 75'sx6 90'sx6 110'sx6ez

Underhand Grip Cable Rows- 200x7 230x7 260x7

Rotator

Great workout today. Still had trouble with my back slipping while doing speed bench, but it still went well. The band tension was great and was very solid. Will move up to the 120's next week and then the 130's after that b/c the 110's were cake. Also ended with some good back work. I can't wait till friday b/c i'm going to move up to 345x5paused wide come grip. Ought to be prettty sweeet

Comment

• goes4ever
        • Sep 2004

great log bro, keep it out, and 600 at 19 is unreal bro, you are a beast

Comment

• Matt76
          • May 2007

Originally posted by goes4ever
          great log bro, keep it out, and 600 at 19 is unreal bro, you are a beast
          Thanks bro. I will definately keep posting my workouts here for all to see. I want to add in here that I cut cardio out during the week. I was having some shitty workouts doing cardio all the time so i'm going to start off doing it on saturday and sunday and cut down the time to 30minute at a time

Comment

• buffness

What do you mean by your back was slipping?

Comment

• Matt76
              • May 2007

Originally posted by buffness
              What do you mean by your back was slipping?
              I arch like a PL while benching and my back slips when trying to do speed bench and kills my arch

Comment

• buffness

Originally posted by Matt76
                I arch like a PL while benching and my back slips when trying to do speed bench and kills my arch
                meaning you can't keep the arch while doing speed bench?

Comment

• Matt76
                  • May 2007

meaning you can't keep the arch while doing speed bench?
                  yup that's what I meant. I even put chalk on my back and the whole bit still no luck. Half of it has to do with the shitty benches they have at school

Comment

• buffness

yup that's what I meant. I even put chalk on my back and the whole bit still no luck. Half of it has to do with the shitty benches they have at school
                    that's weird no doubt. What type of spit are you running?

Comment

• Matt76
                      • May 2007

that's weird no doubt. What type of spit are you running?
                      I am pretty sure u meant split

Monday- DE Bench

Wednesday- Squat

Friday- ME Bench

this is pretty basic yet very effective for me. I stopped doing speed bench there for awhile and I lost a ton of explosiveness so I started doing it again last week. Depending on how I feel though sometimes I will just work my lats on mondays and forget all bench work. This all depends on how I recover from my Friday workout

Comment

• Matt76
                        • May 2007

going to have to skip squat day. I have a paper due tomorrow and have to get it done 25% of my grade

Comment

• buffness

going to have to skip squat day. I have a paper due tomorrow and have to get it done 25% of my grade
                          slacker lol. There is nothing wrong with time off. Most people freak at the thought of missing the gym..

Comment

• Matt76
                            • May 2007

well I usually do, but I would freak out more if I failed a class

Comment

• Matt76
                              • May 2007

Heavy Bench Day

Wide comp grip bench- barx10 85x5 135x5 185x3 225x2 275x1 315x1 345x5 all sets paused

Pinky on ring 3" rack lockouts- 315x1 405x1 455x1 495x1 545x1 585x1 610x1PR held for 15seconds

Side DB Raises- 25'sx5 30'sx5 35'sx5

DB Preacher Curl- 35'sx5 45'sx5 55'sx5ez

Hammer Curl- 55'sx3 65'sx3 75'sx5

Rotator

Great workout today. I didn't think I was going to get over 600 b/c the 585 was pretty hard but then when I lifted 610 it was actually easier than the 585 so life is good. Also the regular bench went pretty well. It was actually just about the same as last week with 330 so that is a good sign. Especially since I just started using this grip last week. I think i'll go up to 355 next week. Welp any ?'s comments

Comment

Working...