Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumpyone
    • Jan 2012

0n/off variations

so.. those of you who still take time off betwen cycles how does your gym time change when on and off cycle???? intensity, frequecy and overall routine set-up.
    shoot for that last rep and when you get it... do two more!! semper fi do or die gung ho gung ho gung ho!!!

i am an idiot, i dont know nuthin bout nuthin. i have never done anything illegal but get great joy from pretending that i have. drugs are bad o.k. I am a loser that likes to type about shit that ill never have the sack to do!
  • bufbiker

It been a while since I was "off" but if I can remember correctly I used to lower intensity. Hit lighter weights at moderate rep ranges.
    You will experience a cortisol rebound when coming off. It has been suppressed by the aas for the duration of your cycle. And when it comes back it can actually be pretty intense.
    But after things settle back down it seems like I used to be able to make some decent size gains off cycle with otc supplementation.

Comment

• rockinred
      Vet
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by stumpyone
      so.. those of you who still take time off betwen cycles how does your gym time change when on and off cycle???? intensity, frequecy and overall routine set-up.
      My workout intensity was real similar, but just couldn't do the same amount and the recovery time was longer on decent lift days. I always try and lift hard whether on cycle or off.

I think if you intentionally try and change it up too much you will lose some size due to a mental thing where you think you can't lift a certain amount and you don't work out as intense as you probably could if you didn't throw a mental constraint on yourself. I gauge performance and lifts on pushing it. As oppose to saying to your self "I do this much on cycle hence I have to do this amount off cycle". Sometimes off cycle my lifts rebound real similar to on cycle and sometimes I dropped quite a bit. So I never put the mental block up. Just play hard in the gym and know my body to prevent injury. In other words, I don't just slap on 365 on the bench, I work my way up naturally off cycle so I gauge where I need to be.

I am on cruise now, but that's how I had handled it through the years and while i do lose strength, I usually kept the majority of it.
      Work Hard...Train Hard...Play Hard!!!

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by rockinred
        My workout intensity was real similar, but just couldn't do the same amount and the recovery time was longer on decent lift days. I always try and lift hard whether on cycle or off.

I think if you intentionally try and change it up too much you will lose some size due to a mental thing where you think you can't lift a certain amount and you don't work out as intense as you probably could if you didn't throw a mental constraint on yourself. I gauge performance and lifts on pushing it. As oppose to saying to your self "I do this much on cycle hence I have to do this amount off cycle". Sometimes off cycle my lifts rebound real similar to on cycle and sometimes I dropped quite a bit. So I never put the mental block up. Just play hard in the gym and know my body to prevent injury. In other words, I don't just slap on 365 on the bench, I work my way up naturally off cycle so I gauge where I need to be.

I am on cruise now, but that's how I had handled it through the years and while i do lose strength, I usually kept the majority of it.
        Very good reply bro
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• tilltheend
          • Jan 2012

If I am ON I just stay on as long as I want and use whatever I feel like.

Comment

• stumpyone
            • Jan 2012

yup, i mostly retain the same schedudle. i try to keep from repeating the same workouts week to week. when i come off i mainly keep the same weight just lower reps. this time around im gonna stay in the 12-15 rep range while on. been hearing better results while on using what higher reps then lower. also less chance of injury
            shoot for that last rep and when you get it... do two more!! semper fi do or die gung ho gung ho gung ho!!!

i am an idiot, i dont know nuthin bout nuthin. i have never done anything illegal but get great joy from pretending that i have. drugs are bad o.k. I am a loser that likes to type about shit that ill never have the sack to do!

Comment

• A.B
              VET
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rockinred

Very good post.

I agree with it all. Intensity doesn't change but the weight does. It's a good idea to bring it down a little to avoid injury. Been there in my younger years not re adjusting after a cycle

Comment

• chicken_hawk

Well, over in the AAS forum you can find my take on AAS cycling which boils down to 6 on 2 off 6 on repeat. Along with the 2 week off period I deload, which boils down to several things, but mostly cutting the volume down and less heavy sets. I do not eliminate heavy work, but instead pyramid to hopefully a new PR. Not new single PR, but reps PR. So if during my "on" time my legs press was 6 plates for 12 reps, 8 plates for 10, 10 for 6, 10 for 5 reps, on my "off" (deload) I would do 6 plates for 8 reps, 8 plates for 8 reps, then try for 10 plates for 10 reps.

So the intensity stays high while work volume stays low. This allows for several things including a rest for my joints and allowing mentally recovery.

Hawk

Comment

• stumpyone
                  • Jan 2012

do yall agree with working with a higher or lower rep range while on cycle?

Comment

• chicken_hawk

Work them all, maybe not in work out, but why not do low reps one day and train high reps the next workout or week?

Hawk

Comment

• FB31T

My cycle starts in a week finally, and I am looking forward to seeing how much more intense I can make my workouts...Those of you that "cruise"..does that come with experience? Would you say I am too young to do blast and cruise cycles?

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by FB31T
                        Would you say I am too young to do blast and cruise cycles?
                        YES! Maybe not too young (forgot your age, sorry dude ), but certainly not enuff experience. Like we all told ya before, don't turn this shit into rocket science brutha. It's your first, so run it, forget about blasting/cruising. Just bust ass in the gym and eat right and GROOOOWWW!

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by stumpyone
                          do yall agree with working with a higher or lower rep range while on cycle?
                          Reap the benefits of both to hit the fast AND slow twitch fibers. I always get the best of both worlds in one workout, via hitting the basic compounds first with heavy weights in the 4-8 range, resting adequately between sets to use maximum poundages. As the workout moves on, I rest more briefly, using medium poundages in the 8-12 range, then finally ending off with a "burner" per se, ie, 21's, drop sets, etc for higher reps and very little rest. This way you get the heavy shit in for max size & power, yet also get a mind blowing pump towards the end. However, there are endless ways of going about mixing rep schemes over the course of different workouts or time frames. I guess main point is, don't make it more complicated than it is bro - just bust ass on whatever gig you're doing and grow.

One chest workout example of millions using both low & high reps...

incline bb press - 15, 12, *8, *6, *4 (resting 3-5 mins)
                          flat db press - 12, *10, *8 (resting 2 mins)
                          flat db flyes - 12, *12, *12 (resting 45 secs)
                          cable crossovers - *20, *15 (resting 20 secs)

* = worksets

Comment

• FB31T

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                            YES! Maybe not too young (forgot your age, sorry dude ), but certainly not enuff experience. Like we all told ya before, don't turn this shit into rocket science brutha. It's your first, so run it, forget about blasting/cruising. Just bust ass in the gym and eat right and GROOOOWWW!
                            oh yea definitely..was just curious because i always see people blasting then cruising, was just wondering if that will come along with more experience and whatnot..not worried about it, just worried about my first cycle then i will be asking you guys for help/info on the second one down the road..thanks for the info

Comment

• Glycomann

I like 8 on 3 off. I do that a few times and then if I feel I need to I take 4-6 months right off everything but peptides after SERM therapy. In the 3 weeks off I've been cutting carbs and total cals down and it's really helping me stay lean. I like it when shit is working.

Comment

Working...