Newb here with a confirmation of my workout diet/training plan

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DropTopStang

Newb here with a confirmation of my workout diet/training plan

Well first off I have to say this forum is awesome. So much good information! I have been lurking around for a while just reading everything I can and all the information has been really helpful. So anyway, here is my situation...

Over the course of the last 4 years I have lost like almost 100 lbs. I was really fat with little muscle at 260 lbs just out of high school. I have lost a ton of weight (just cutting calories) and now I am starting to lift. Right now I am about 180 lbs and I have been lifting for like 2 months now, 5 days a week, 2 hours a day. I feel like the gains are there, but they seemed to have slowed down.

I am a vegetarian (for ethical reasons) and so protein consumption is difficult for me. I have been taking a protein shake pre and post workout which equates to about 70g of protein a day, then I have a small breakfast, normally special K w/ 1% milk (about 20 g protein), cottage cheese after work (30g protein) and a small dinner. I am trying to lose the rest of my body fat and its killing me!

My workout consists of 1 hour cardio everyday, then 1 hour of lifting, targeting 1 or 2 areas. I drink plenty of water (about 100 oz a day) and get plenty of sleep.

I guess my question is, does this routine seem okay? I know the gains have stopped right now, but will they continue soon? And are there any flaws in my routine that anyone can see? Should I be taking a protein shake before I go to bed? I am just full of questions, but these are really important things to me cause I am in this for the long haul but it seems as though I have reached a slight platue and its annoying! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Not many vegetarian athletes bro. If you want to add lean muscle up your protein intake to at least 200grams ed. You utilize lean dairy, and good protein powder to get the extra grams of protein. Always do lifting before cardio. Decrease your lifting to four intense sessions per week and decrease cardio to 30-40 mins three or four times per week. Right now I suspect that your body is burning muscle as well as fat for fuel, without aduquate protein intake to build muscle. Muscle is very matabolic active and burns considerable calories at rest. So the more muscle that you carry the more calories burned on a daily basis.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• DropTopStang

Ok, I'll try adding more protein. If I do four shakes a day, that should equate to about 130 grams, then a few small meals and I should be around 170-200 grams per day. As for the cardio, the only reason I am doing so much is because I have a lot of fat still and I want it gone, like pronto.

Comment

• mr.b

I would definetly give this routine linked below a try and add 30-45 minutes of aerobics thrice weekly. Bump for more protein like liftsiron told you..

Remember too much aerobics burns off muscle tissue..Overtraining with weights and a lack of protein eats away muscle tissue..Guess what burns off fat???

Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2005, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by DropTopStang
          Ok, I'll try adding more protein. If I do four shakes a day, that should equate to about 130 grams, then a few small meals and I should be around 170-200 grams per day. As for the cardio, the only reason I am doing so much is because I have a lot of fat still and I want it gone, like pronto.

The trouble with excess cardio is that you tend to lose more muscle than fat after a certain extent, when this happens your matabolism slows to a crawl and you tend to store even more calories eaten as fat as opposed to adding lean mass, which would booost the matabolism. Some worldclass marathon runners who look like skin and bones test clincally obease (30% or more bodyfat) because they have so little muscle mass left on their bones.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• DropTopStang

Ok, sounds good, I will cut back on the cardio then, and put the cardio after I lift. Thanks for all the help guys...I'll let ya know how it all turns out...

Comment

• DADAWG
              Vet
              • May 2004

Originally posted by liftsiron
              Not many vegetarian athletes bro. If you want to add lean muscle up your protein intake to at least 200grams ed. You utilize lean dairy, and good protein powder to get the extra grams of protein. Always do lifting before cardio. Decrease your lifting to four intense sessions per week and decrease cardio to 30-40 mins three or four times per week. Right now I suspect that your body is burning muscle as well as fat for fuel, without aduquate protein intake to build muscle. Muscle is very matabolic active and burns considerable calories at rest. So the more muscle that you carry the more calories burned on a daily basis.
              thats as good as advice gets fellas, lifts nailed it in my opinion.
              NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.

Comment

• CO-B16
                Vet
                • May 2004

good luck bro and keep us updated.....welcome to pm by the way
                THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

Working...