Biggest Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iron addict

Biggest Mistakes

Looking back on my training carreer, the two biggest training related mistakes I made were training to failure WAY to frequently (I used to hit failure on most everything every workout years ago) and not changing up the loading frequently enough. I suspect that is the case with many of you, and IMO you will be wise to correct it if that is the case.

Iron Addict
  • DADAWG
    Vet
    • May 2004

very good point , also the older we get the less tolerant we are of training to failure and overtraing imo
    NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.

Comment

• Mudge
      • Sep 2003

I also do a lot less volume in my "older years."

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

My biggest mistake was over training when younger. I still do a high volume workout with heavy weight, but I have eliminated forced reps, drop sets supersets etc. long ago.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• DADAWG
          Vet
          • May 2004

Originally posted by liftsiron
          I have eliminated forced reps, drop sets supersets etc. long ago.
          translation you quit listening to the muscle rags which will say anything to sell magazines . the number of people who have either quit working out or wasted their time because of bad advice in those rags is mind boggleing .

lifts its a damn shame we werent this smart when we were young enough to enjoy it lol
          NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.

Comment

• ronb
            VET
            • Sep 2004

ain't this the truth. I still see guys trying to work thru pain. Duh! if i feel pain i go home.
            Failure is not an option

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long.

Life can be summed up in one four letter word .. NEXT!

Former Admin@

Comment

• Deacon
              Vet
              • Jan 2005

I overtrained for about 20 years - now I am much smarter
              Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
              "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• mr.b

My biggest mistake was doing too many sets and trying to train to failure when injured... Yikes..

It would seem we were all that stupid at one point..lol

Comment

• kickflip484

So how often should someone workout to failure and use force reps? How often should you change up the weights i use??

Comment

• wolf78

Prolonged plateaus are a good sign that you need to change up your work-out regimen whether it be the weight increments, work-out split, etc. Other than that---you know yourself better than anyone else... it's a subjective thing.

Comment

• CO-B16
                      Vet
                      • May 2004

i used to overtrain years ago.....i would spend 2 hours in the gym just hittin my chest.....live and learn...
                      THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

Working...