Study: Effects of tamoxifen on GH and IGF-I levels in acromegaly.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FContact
    • Oct 2003

Study: Effects of tamoxifen on GH and IGF-I levels in acromegaly.

Effects of tamoxifen on GH and IGF-I levels in acromegaly.

Cozzi R, Attanasio R, Oppizzi G, Orlandi P, Giustina A, Lodrini S, Da Re N, Dallabonzana D.

Divisione di Endocrinologia, Ospedale Niguarda, Italy.

Tamoxifen (TAM), a non steroid partially competitive antagonist to the estrogen receptors, has been reported to decrease plasma GH and IGF-I levels both in vitro and in vivo. These data prompted us to evaluate GH and IGF-I changes in acromegaly after acute and chronic TAM administration. Nineteen acromegalic patients (6 M, 13 F, aged 30-70 years) were studied in a prospective open study. Acute TAM test (20 mg po) did not induce any significant change in GH and IGF-I levels. Chronic TAM treatment (20 mg/day for a month and 40 mg/day for another month) induced a transient increase in GH levels (from 9 [3-139] micrograms/l [median, range] to 12 [3-188] micrograms/l, p = 0.0025) and a persistent decrease in IGF-I levels (from 785 [500-1200] micrograms/l to 553 [209-1420] micrograms/l, p = 0.0034). Individual IGF-I values decreased in 13 patients and reached the normal range in 4 of them. At TAM withdrawal hormonal levels increased up to pretreatment values. There was no correlation between GH and IGF-I changes and results were not influenced by age, sex or gonadal status. In this setting it is likely that the observed decrease in plasma IGF-I levels is dependent on TAM activity at the hepatic level.

Disclaimer: PremierMuscle and FContact do not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.
Working...