X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe0690
    Vet
    • Mar 2007

size and strength

alot of people think size and strength go hand in hand but i see alot of exceptions to it i dont even understand how its possible
    for example this guy at my gym looks like hes been training for 6 months im sure its been alot longer then that but hes not big not ultra ripped he looks very below avg like i make him look small and im not even big but you can tell he works out anyways hes super strong and not doing stupid form either he can keep his form good and benchs 3 plates a side rows the entire stack like he is very strong but i dont understand he has 0 size like his arms are prolly 15-16 inches and not ripped either just avg.... anyways im sure theres more examples then just this 1 but ud expect some1 who is strong to have a least a bit of size to him just from the muscle you need to lift the weight........... you guys ever see stuff like this?
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Seen it too many times to mention. Its cliche, but its genetics. Tendon strength and muscle fiber type is an issue here. Where people fuck up is when they make comparisons of two different individuals regarding size & strength, ie, Bill is small and strong, Joe is big and weak, hence they duduce that getting stronger has nothing to do with muscle size. Wrong! Its just that the ratio of the smaller guys size to his strength is less than the bigger, weaker guy. Thats where tendon strength comes into play. Also, the amount of muscle fiber types comes into play. All genetic. I myself fall into the category of the weaker guy. I can be 275@6'0 and around 11-12% and my best raw & natty bench ever was like 435!lol Shit I've known guys that could rep that and they weighed 100lbs less than me. See Deacons thread http://www.anabolic-enhancement.com/...ad.php?t=23193 ...same issue there. One still needs to try to get as strong as possible for reps if he wants to put on as much muscle size as possible. I'm sure when that little guy gets bigger, he's gonna be a shitload stronger also. They go hand in hand, even though sometimes they seem not to when comparing different individuals.

Comment

• Joe0690
      Vet
      • Mar 2007

yeah i think im sorta in the middle or slightly more on the weaker side. but id rather be on the weaker side then stronger side cuz only guys care about how much you can lift girls care about how jacked you look

Comment

• mrhtbd

Your body type has something to do with it.
        I knew a guy in my gym who was 5'4" and I saw him bench 445, but he had a barrel chest and short arms.

I am 6'0" and when I was in my best shape I only benched 330 for one on my 12th set.
        Probably could have done better being fresh, but injuries and other stuff eventually got in the way.
        Anyway, I am wide (shoulder to shoulder) but very narrow (front to back).
        I have a swimmer's body (well, used to).
        Plus, my arms are long.

Long arms with broad shoulders and a flat chest?
        Not exactly the ideal for power benching, but my broad shoulders and strong back allowed me to deadlift 390 for 1 on my 12th set when I weighed 162, and squat 465 for 7 on my 12th set when I weighed 212.
        (Hmmm, never noticed the pattern between max lifts and my 12th set before. Guess it shows I like the Volume System?)

I would be considered a mesomorph.

Damn, DawgPound, I would be very happy to "only" bench 435!

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
          Seen it too many times to mention. Its cliche, but its genetics. Tendon strength and muscle fiber type is an issue here. Where people fuck up is when they make comparisons of two different individuals regarding size & strength, ie, Bill is small and strong, Joe is big and weak, hence they duduce that getting stronger has nothing to do with muscle size. Wrong! Its just that the ratio of the smaller guys size to his strength is less than the bigger, weaker guy. Thats where tendon strength comes into play. Also, the amount of muscle fiber types comes into play. All genetic. I myself fall into the category of the weaker guy. I can be 275@6'0 and around 11-12% and my best raw & natty bench ever was like 435!lol Shit I've known guys that could rep that and they weighed 100lbs less than me. See Deacons thread http://www.anabolic-enhancement.com/...ad.php?t=23193 ...same issue there. One still needs to try to get as strong as possible for reps if he wants to put on as much muscle size as possible. I'm sure when that little guy gets bigger, he's gonna be a shitload stronger also. They go hand in hand, even though sometimes they seem not to when comparing different individuals.
          Good answers. I'm not to big but I push some pretty decent weight in regard to my body weight. These days I try to remain leaner and meaner.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by mrhtbd
            Damn, DawgPound, I would be very happy to "only" bench 435!
            I was like 28, natty and weighed 240 when I did it. At 240 thats nothing brah. In Smallville or Weaksburg USA, sure it may seem strong.lol But I've always been one to compare myself to the best, not just to the local big|strong dude, and 435 at 240 ain't dick really brutha. Perhaps if I was ON back then in my prime and wore a shirt I coulda got a 550 or so who knows...woulda coulda blah. But even a 550 at 240 ain't dick.lol I will say though that I'm happy that I can can gain size easily compared to most...so if nothing else, I LOOK strong haha!
            Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Persian
              VET
              • Oct 2007

i think im strong i hit 120 pound dumbells on incline press on a good day ...
              4-6 reps ...

Comment

• mrhtbd

Very nice Persian, I only did 4 with 120's in flat dbell presses when I was 35. Most I ever got for inclines was 95's for 3x5.
                Looking sharp ma-man!

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Yeah but Pers has the killa Iranian connection to help him!lol

Comment

• Persian
                    VET
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by mrhtbd
                    Very nice Persian, I only did 4 with 120's in flat dbell presses when I was 35. Most I ever got for inclines was 95's for 3x5.
                    Looking sharp ma-man!

thanks bro ...im actually feeling the strongest i have ever been ....
                    im weaker on flat though ....

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                    Yeah but Pers has the killa Iranian connection to help him!lol
                    lol
                    im hooked up ...like super hooked up ..like ud jerk off hooked up

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Pers whats it like being a young rich brutha living in Dubai with all the hot chicas and gear anytime you want it? You livin' the Dream eh homie? Send me a plane ticket nigga!lol

Comment

• Joe0690
                        Vet
                        • Mar 2007

me to i love persian girls

Comment

• Pumpitdude
                          Vet
                          • Jan 2007

Guys, also strength curve declines heavy as certain barriers are passed. You could train 2 different guys one 6.2 265 the other 5.8 175 to both bench 350 pounds or more. This does not mean the larger guy is weaker because he is lifting smaller percentage of his body weight. It only means you do not have to be 6.2 265 to bench 350 or 400 pounds. Most of this omg look a small guy but he is sooo strong: misconception is sourced by the lack of knowledge that people have regarding the limits of the human body.
                          However although the exact numbers will depend on the individual himself, as you started to raise the bar, you will quickly realize the larger guy can take on heavier weights easier and the smaller guy will hit a limit unless he puts on more weight. Prime example of this is guys who roll. You will meet with dudes that weigh barely 175 pounds, ragdoll new coming 250 pound students on the ground and feet, however as time passes and the large frame guys get their connecting tissues and tendons strengthen ,they don't get thrown around anymore and start turn in to monsters.

Comment

• Joe0690
                            Vet
                            • Mar 2007

im talking about guys who are small who can already outlift monsterous guys lol

Comment

• Trapology
                              • Jan 2007

Theres a bunch of different things that can go into it

Theres physical advantages, like short arms on the bench, genetics, maybe some people work on something to be like that, and some people just have retarded strength
                              Some Men Aren't Looking For Anything Logical, Like Money. They Can't Be Bought, Bullied, Reasoned or Negotiated With. Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

Comment

Working...