• Pumpitdude
    Vet
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Nigbo
    retarded strength
    Thats it, thats the word I was looking for

Comment

• Rocky07

sorry guys i had to jump in this one...--what is strong? when i first got into lifting (besides in highschool) it was because i was training for MMA. i did chest on monday and a circuit work out every day of the week after that. my bench went up to like 340 or 350lbs for 1 rep but i was working out every muscle for 10 reps and did the ciruit 10 times tues-friday. (which YES i know this violates all the "rules" of building muscle) Dudes who tried to do this workout with my would puke around the 5th circuit. (i was one of them at 1st). i went from 188lbs to 225lbs in what seemed like no time and i got pretty ripped at the same time. although thats a big weight change, i didnt necessarily appear to have grown a whole lot but man i could fight for 30 even 40 mins at a time. it was like i never got tired. one of my trainers had 40 lbs on me and was 2 inches taller and worked out all of his life for strength. He used to tell everyone they better know their shit if they were gonna spar/roll with me cause waiting for me to gas out wasnt gonna happen. (i promise, im not tryin to brag here but i know how this sounds). but guys i could literally give it all i had with little muscle fatigue for a rediculous amount of time.By aquiring this kind of strength, i may not have been able pick up cars and shit but everyone talked about how strong i was because i could pull/push/grab/cling to/etc. with a decent bit of force but for a long ass time.

...that being said: i got out of MMA for a while and started tryin to actually "get bigger". Talked to some guys who knew what they were doing and little by little started acquiring a basic knowledge of how to workout with intentions of "growing". (i thought)....actually i was under the impression that u had to move the most iron to get the most muscle--WRONG! i weighed 240lbs and after doing a set of 10,8,6,4,2 on bench (405lbs being my 2 set) i loaded up 425lbs and just dumped it up in the air twice like it was baby weight. Problem was, i still had no chest. so i figured i needed to get stronger...then later on in life i found this forum and actually asked Lifts to gimme a solution to my problem and between his answer and some information from a couple of articles i discovered that for me my optimum growth came by doing 8-12 reps with as heavy weight as i could stand for those reps and do about 5 lifts for 3 sets. sometimes only 4 lifts. when i saw my greatest results in growth when i was at my "fairest" in strength-wasnt weak but definitely wasn't strong either however i had a good strength. i had decent endurance (not like i did on the circuit workout) and i had decent strength but not like i did when i was working out for strength thinkin it was gonna make me bigger.

so i guess what im getting at (after 4 hrs of reading this shit) is:
      what exactly is strong?
      1: being able to pick up decent weight all day long?
      2: being able to pick up alot of weight only a couple times?
      3: or being able to pick up fairly heavy weight for a fair amount of times?

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by Rocky07
        so i guess what im getting at (after 4 hrs of reading this shit) is:
        what exactly is strong?
        1: being able to pick up decent weight all day long?
        2: being able to pick up alot of weight only a couple times?
        3: or being able to pick up fairly heavy weight for a fair amount of times?
        All of above - theres many types of strength and ways to display it bro.

Comment

• Joe0690
          Vet
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
          All of above - theres many types of strength and ways to display it bro.
          yes i would agree with that statement 100%

Comment

• A.B
            VET
            • Jun 2004

very good posts above. at the end of the day as long as I see someone lifting with good form and is working the muscle, then i respect that.

Comment

Working...