X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wallyd
    VET
    • Aug 2015

Weightlifting belts, yes or no?

How many of you guys wear weightlifting belts? I use to all the time 20 years ago, lately I just wear one for bent over rows, shrugs, dead’s, the big movements. I never used anything but the leather ones & don’t think I would ever try anything else. The one I have is a 4” double prong 10mm, I like it but sometimes the double prong is a pain in the ass. Just wanted to hear some opinions on this.
  • Paramuscle
    • Mar 2018

Most of the people I see in the gym have no idea what a belt is for. I see them doing all kinds of exercises with a belt on. It should be for heavy things. I used one for heavy squatting back in the day and heavy back rowing, shrugging heavy. I should be used to help stabilize the spine when a person contracts the abdominal muscles. Most people have no idea what it is for. I don’t use one much anymore because I don’t go heavy like that.

~PM

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by wallyd
      How many of you guys wear weightlifting belts? I use to all the time 20 years ago, lately I just wear one for bent over rows, shrugs, dead’s, the big movements. I never used anything but the leather ones & don’t think I would ever try anything else. The one I have is a 4” double prong 10mm, I like it but sometimes the double prong is a pain in the ass. Just wanted to hear some opinions on this.
      I'm like you.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Dakota
        VET
        • Feb 2017

I don't even know where mine is. I don't do heavy enough lifting anymore to need one. I am not going climb under a stack of weights that require support like that anymore. In fact, I am currently living at my Chiropractor's office lately. Several adjustments a week. I THINK we finally found the solution with a traction table. It is finally bringing some relief. Thank God!

I have noticed the guys that wear them for their entire workout too. I find it amusing.
        The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• SauerJitsu2005
          • Dec 2018

I haven't used one in over 10 years to be honest. I definitely think they should be used for certain movements, but I just never use one I never think about it.

Comment

• Magnesium
            Vet
            • Dec 2009

I only bust out the belt for really heavy squats. I tighten it to the point it is quite uncomfortable, but the support is fantastic. The rest of the time I prefer to work on core strength to keep good form.

Comment

• A.B
              VET
              • Jun 2004

Not anymore. When I went heavy yes for squats and dead’s. Don’t even go close to heavy anymore. 2 plates for squats for reps. And don’t even do dead’s anymore. If I do them they’re light dead’s in the shrug bar.

Comment

Working...