• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thate
    Vet
    • Mar 2007

Wine-Inspired Pill Targets Weight Gain

(Nov. 5)

Researchers in France say a drug similar to an extract found in red wine can fool the body into burning off fat -- even on a high-fat diet, BBC News reported.

Scientists at the University of Louis Pasteur found the experimental drug SRT1720 protected mice against weight gain and insulin resistance. The drug works by making the metabolism transition into the fat-burning mode it typically uses when energy levels are low, according to Science Daily.

SRT1720 targets the anti-aging protein SIRT1. The French team began focusing on the SIRT1 protein after previous studies showed that it helps resveratrol, a chemical found in the skin of grapes and in red wine, combat effects of a high-calorie diet. Resveratrol has been used to explain "the French paradox," the perplexing fact that the French have low rates of heart disease and obesity despite their typically high-fat diets.

According to BBC News, a person would have to consume gallons of wine to get the same benefits as the tests on mice. That's why scientists are trying to create a more potent drug to target SIRT1 and achieve the same effect.

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Good post recently reported also was rats given Resveratrol then exposed to radiation have a 250% greater survival rate.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Cruci
      Vet
      • Nov 2006

I would rather just have a glass of Merlot myself
      Cruci is a fictional character. He does not use or participate in any distribution of any illegal substance, nor will he make referrals/source checks. You might think that this is some sort of ruse because I am a moderator on here simply trying to cover my ass, but just because I know how to correct a cycle from a clueless dolt who knows nothing of what he is putting in his body (because I know how to read,) I seriously do not get involved with any illegal substances in any way shape or form. I do however believe that it is your right to use them, but I won't help you acquire them. If you send me a PM asking where to buy steroids or to refer you to a source, I will call you a dumbass and tell you to learn to read. Then I will mushroom stamp your sister.

Comment

• Thate
        Vet
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Thate
        a person would have to consume gallons of wine to get the same benefits as the tests on mice. That's why scientists are trying to create a more potent drug to target SIRT1 and achieve the same effect.
        All that sugar would negate the effects

Comment

Working...