Hair on the back of my neck...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd

Hair on the back of my neck...

...is way up this morning (peaking, as it were).
    Yesterday I had an unruly student removed from my class. He was cheating by copying from another's notebook. After I took the notebook the, "F-you's" and "bullshit" started coming out of his mouth.
    As I lectured him, and after he told me to "shut up" the fifth time, I told him to get out and called security. The security person and the principal met up in the hallway with the student.
    So what did the principal do after listening to the kid whine about being innocent?

The principal came into my room, sat down to do an "informal observation," and later wrote a scathing review of the class. He stuck it in my mailbox this morning.
    He complained that I was "reading a survey" that the students had to check boxes to complete, and that they should have done it for homework instead. That the students weren't "engaged" enough.

Well, Mr Brainiac, it WAS given for homework, AND was a class assignment 5 weeks ago, 5 weeks, but most of them didn't have it done and the ones who did it, some just checked anything which means they didn't read it. (BTW, this was part of the work the principal wanted me to give out.)

I figured they didn't want to read 100 questions, or that they couldn't understand the words, and rather than failing them (because it is a necessary part of the coursework), I would do them a favor, read it to them, and just have them check the appropriate box, but nooo, I'm expected to teach 16 year-olds words they should have learned in fourth grade. What a crock of shit.
    What a f-ing asshole. That's exactly the support that caused me to get stabbed last year whereby I almost bled to death.

I am livid. I'm so sick of some of the assholes I work with.
    How is a teacher supposed to maintain a healthy learning environment when the thugs are unopposed by management?

What I could do, with a room full of intellectual students who can read, write, and do more than simple arithmetic, and actually think for themselves? Ohhh, cherish the thought.

I graduated third in my high school class in English and have a Philosophy degree. Maybe I'm the problem, but hell, even my 9 year-old daughter is reading at a ninth grade level. She has a higher reading level than any of the 120 13 to 16 year old students I teach, and they're all going to college. (Only first, someone has to teach them it's not spelled "collage.") Ain't life grand!
  • Scotsmark
    VET
    • Apr 2005

Dude, you need to move. I know you like the challenge of where you teach but it's getting to you and not doing you any favours.

Comment

• stunner69
      VET
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by mrhtbd
      ... (Only first, someone has to teach them it's not spelled "collage.") Ain't life grand!
      LOL. Now thats f-ing funny!!!
      Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

All it takes, is all you got.

R.I.P IT

Comment

• Pumpitdude
        Vet
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by mrhtbd
        ...is way up this morning (peaking, as it were).
        Yesterday I had an unruly student removed from my class. He was cheating by copying from another's notebook. After I took the notebook the, "F-you's" and "bullshit" started coming out of his mouth.
        As I lectured him, and after he told me to "shut up" the fifth time, I told him to get out and called security. The security person and the principal met up in the hallway with the student.
        So what did the principal do after listening to the kid whine about being innocent?

The principal came into my room, sat down to do an "informal observation," and later wrote a scathing review of the class. He stuck it in my mailbox this morning.
        He complained that I was "reading a survey" that the students had to check boxes to complete, and that they should have done it for homework instead. That the students weren't "engaged" enough.

Well, Mr Brainiac, it WAS given for homework, AND was a class assignment 5 weeks ago, 5 weeks, but most of them didn't have it done and the ones who did it, some just checked anything which means they didn't read it. )BTW, this was part of the work the principal wanted me to give out.)

I figured they didn't want to read 100 questions, that they could understand the words, and that rather than failing them (because it is a necessary part of the coursework), I would do them a favor, read it to them, and just have them check the appropriate box, but nooo, I'm expected to teach 16 year-olds words they should have learned in fourth grade. What a crock of shit.
        What a f-ing asshole. That's exactly the support that caused me to get stabbed last year whereby I almost bled to death.

I am livid. I'm so sick of some of the assholes I work with.
        How is a teacher supposed to maintain a healthy learning environment when the thugs are unopposed by management?

What I could do, with a room full of intellectual students who can read, write, and do more than simple arithmetic, and actually think for themselves? Ohhh, cherish the thought.

I graduated third in my high school class in English and have a Philosophy degree. Maybe I'm the problem, but hell, even my 9 year-old daughter is reading at a ninth grade level. She has a higher reading level than any of the 120 13 to 16 year old students I teach, and they're all going to college. (Only first, someone has to teach them it's not spelled "collage.") Ain't life grand!
        Dude I am in college for electrical engineering and my classes are full of intellectual students, who study hard, do their homework listen to the instructor, ask questions etc.. and you know what kind of professors we get? Total ass holes. These guys are so fucking stuck up with the fact that the class average has be 70 ish, they screw their grading completely don't answer questions etc.. I mean dude, this is not a fucking underwater basket weaving class. Everyone here is trying to be the best at what they do and they are professional students. It is possible that they have studied everything you tried to teach. Anyways they don't care about teaching or what their students leave the class with. It is more of a being a referee and making sure there are certain amounts of A's B's C's D's and fails. What could we do as students if we actually had professors that cared and wanted to teach instead of getting paid for grading exams, sitting in office hours with a note on the door be back in 10 minutes and go home and work a total of 25 hours a week and make a hundred grand a year. Bastards.

Comment

• mrhtbd

Hell, I work at least 60 hours a week.
          Maybe I should just give them all A's.
          I think I'm taking this stuff too seriously.
          If these kids don't care about learning, why waste my time trying to change their minds?

Comment

Working...