Clear All
  • Deacon
    Vet
    • Jan 2005

My partner

getting ready now for another WR try in June at Sun Prairie WI in the APF

Home / Sports
    Jeff Theis column: Becker a humble weight lifting record-holder
    StoryDiscussionJeff Theis column: Becker a humble weight lifting record-holder
    Jeff Theis / sports@winonadailynews.com winonadailynews.com | Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2009 11:30 pm | No Comments Posted

Font Sizeefault font sizeLarger font size.
    Bill Becker works out at The Gym in La Crosse, Wis. .
    ..LA CROSSE, Wis. - Six months ago, Bill Becker was done with weight lifting competition. He felt he had done all that he needed to do in the sport.

Becker, 56, of Winona, was an accomplished weight lifter, having set records in the squat, dead lift and bench press.

Earlier this year, Becker ran into his old training buddy, Mark Haeuser, and that's when it all got started. So much for retirement. Becker was on the comeback trail.

"What happened was that he ran into to me somewhere this summer," Haeuser said. "I got on him and said 'You have to come back and lift with me.' "

Fast forward six months to Sept. 12, and Becker was not only lifting, but was setting a new world record for the 54 to 59 year-old age group in the

198-pound weight class.

Becker set a world record in the squat, lifting 705 pounds at the Wisconsin State Powerlifting Championships in Madison, Wis. The previous world record was 660 pounds.

When it was all over, Becker had completed what he set out to do. Again.

"I sort of leaned on the bar and just relaxed," he said of his record lift. "It was a euphoria. Thinking about it morning, noon and night for months and then going up there and doing it. It's a rush."

Becker also set a new American record by lifting 630 pounds in the dead lift, beating the old mark by 76 pounds.

Becker stands 5-foot-7, and weighs 194 pounds. Not exactly a height and weight that make you instantly think 'world record holder.'

But that doesn't matter. What matters is he's able to lift incredible amounts of weight.

"I try to lift as much as I can within reason," Becker said. "I'm never going to be a huge guy or a body builder. I've always been a person that's wanted to retain a good lifestyle, healthy eating and healthy diet along with a good workout."

On Friday, I tagged along with Becker to watch him lift at The Gym in La Crosse. It's a gym he owned for 11 years before selling it.

I was amazed at the place. Everyone around was focused on their workout. This may sound strange, but there was a calming influence about The Gym.

Then there was Becker, squatting in the back-right corner with Haeuser, doing what he loves. And doing it well.

Becker did a squat of 410 pounds and followed it up with a squat of 500 pounds. He was just warming up.

I couldn't help but compare my numbers to his. I had gone lifting earlier in the day and was nowhere near his numbers. Becker, to me, is amazing.

Becker, however, is humble.

"I'm a very humble person," Becker stated. "I look at everybody and what they do and think I'm no better than them. I don't lift against numbers, I lift against myself and try to get better.

"I bet that 90 percent of the people in here have no idea who I am or that I have set a world record."

Becker said he got into powerlifting back in 1975 when he met Scott Saluzzi. Becker was manager at a Fastenal store in La Crosse and Saluzzi came walking in.

"Saluzzi came in to get some fasteners and he says 'Hey, you lift?' I said 'Yeah,' " Becker said. "He had a gym at his house and wanted to know if I wanted to get into powerlifting."

Becker said the main thing he learned from Saluzzi was how to lift with the right form. Over the years Becker has also lifted with Kevin Kneupel and Haeuser, whom he has lifted with since 1983.

After his recent record-setting performance, Becker decided to give up doing powerlifting competitions. This time, he says, for good.

Becker, who has worked at Fastenal for the last 35 years, has a wife, two children and five grandchildren. With all that he decided he didn't want to add the mental aspect of a powerlifting competition.

"It's just a mental strain," Becker said. "You have to think about it 24/7 and you have to give 110 percent every time you go out and lift to be at your best."

However, Becker isn't totally giving up lifting. Not by a long shot. He is giving up competitive lifting, but will continue to weight lift as part of his workouts, as part of his routine.

"It will be the rest of my life until they put me in the casket," Becker joked. "It's a lifestyle, there's no doubt about it."

Copyright 2011 winonadailynews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
    Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
    "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."
Working...