Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawgpound_Hank
    • May 2019

My "Super Pump" back workout

I wanted to try something totally out of the box today. Getting a lil tired of the same ol same ol. Today, I had THEE sickest back pump that I can ever recall having. My lats were so pumped it felt like I was carrying a watermelon under each arm. And better yet, I had NO biceps pump whatsoever, which can often happen on back day - especially if using heavy weights.

First I will post a typical back workout for me:

wg pulldowns - 4 sets of 8-12 working up to 260lbs
    barbell rows - 4 sets of 6-10 working up to 315lbs
    hammer pulldowns - 3 sets of 8-12 working up to 3 plates a side
    seated cable rows - 3 sets of 10-15 working up to 260lbs
    hyperextensions - 3 sets of 20-40 bdwt

So today I did the same workout, except I used MUCH lighter weights, used a 3 secs up, 3 secs down rhythm on everything, and held each contraction for a 2-3 count. I also focused on "pushing the elbows" down and back vs "pulling with the arms/lats". Lastly the rest times were much briefer than I usually use with heavy weights - around 45 secs between sets. The diff was mind blowing - here's what it looked like:

wg pulldowns - 35, 25, 15 - 140lbs all sets
    barbell rows - 40, 25, 15 - 135lbs all sets
    hammer pulldowns - 25, 20, 15 - 1 plate each side
    seated cable rows - 25, 20, 15 - 120lbs all sets
    hyperextensions - 20, 15, 10 bdwt

If you're looking for a helluva back pump, ya might wanna give this a try. Ya gotta throw your ego out the door. Yeah it might feel wuss-mode rowing only 135, but remember, you are gonna get a pump from hell. You can use any exercises you want, just be sure to keep the cadence the same (slow and deliberate), along with the 2-3 second contraactions on every rep, and focus on pushing the elbows back on every rep vs pulling. Also use a much lighter weight so you can get the high reps in.

I just wanna add I wouldnt recommend this for a beginner or someone who hasn't already built a nice foundation. Of course a beginner can try it out occasionally as something different, but this is mainly for the guy/gal that has already built a respectable level of development. Beginners need more of the heavy weight/lower reps approach to pack on the size, not to mention doing deadlifts. But for the vet, you will enjoy this workout being it's safe, and will blow you dafuq up.
    Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.
  • Dawgpound_Hank
    • May 2019

Damn I had muscles in my back I never knew I had sore af yesterday and today! Those muscles in and around the mid-upper spine, guesing rhomboids and mid traps which are hard to get to. I think I'm gonna start alternating this type of gig with my normal heavier workouts and see how it goes.
    Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• jrod
      • Jun 2010

Yep, I love going lighter and REALLY focusing on form! As you know anyone can sling heavy weights. I also like doing drop sets until failure.
      Good post!

Comment

Working...