Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
black7
Vet

black7 is just really niceblack7 is just really niceblack7 is just really niceblack7 is just really niceblack7 is just really nice
Sorry ass town

My town has been the same since I was born... same old stores, same old boredom, ect.... Nothing has changed, we have had the same mayor since I was born until last years elections. This new guy seems to be doing a bit more to advance our town. He is adding a few new places of interest ect...

Point of my story is I have 3-4 bigger surrounding cities that all have gyms...but they all are nearly 30 minutes away... Quite frankly I dont work out as much because of the inconvenience of it.... I have to get off work and drive an hour to go to gym then come home... Or I can get up at 3:45 am and go. Its just really getting on my nerves as of lately....

What I want to to is confront our city officials and try to get them to build us a YMCA and actually volunteer to help run, offer advice, lay out equipment, ect... But I have no idea how to get this done? Should I go door knocking with a petition and get signatures and attend a commerce meeting with my petition to have some leverage? It could be really good for our town as most of our people either rarely exercise or go out of town to shop ect....

black7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
mrhtbd

I used to ride my bicycle 8 miles just to get to the gym, then after a 2 hour workout, I would ride 6 miles to my sister's house for a free meal, and another 7 miles to get home. I would do this 3 to 5 days a week.
Why don't you do a demographical search to see if there is enough interest in your town to actually support a fitness facility.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
black7
Vet

black7 is just really niceblack7 is just really niceblack7 is just really niceblack7 is just really niceblack7 is just really nice
I talked with the councilmen today... I already knew about this but a year or so ago our local hospital actually donated land for a new Sports Plex... But they council has not been able to get the ball rolling as usual... I called the CEO of YMCA today and left a message with no return. I asked the councilman where we stood on our new sports plex and proposed to him to raise taxes by .1% and ask for a state bond. And I asked how much in favor the people and the council were he said there is an overwhelming agreement for the building of the new facility but they just cant ratify it. They will have to have a vote... I explained to him with the minor city sales tax increase and the member ship fees accumulated by the new facility could have the state bond and other expenses paid off in roughly 5 years. I told him i would be attending the next council meeting and hopefully have a petition to get something going.. But my guess is that our city will not move on this with out me holding their hands... I am going to be a thorn in their sides. I may run for city council next election my self lol....

Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I think that YMCA's can be supported by donations and membership fees. I don't tax increases are allowed. I maybe wrong on this however. First try to find a vacant building then convert it. They that in my town, a few years later they had enough money to build on a huge addition.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
zeke
Vet

zeke will become famous soon enough
Black, you and I both live (lived) in these po-dunk towns where there is a lot of old money and they do not like change. It's easier to have a gym placed in your area from a private sector rather than federally, state or local funding. That takes forever. Are you still comuting every day to the Gump?

Moving to the Ham two years ago was the best decision I ever made. I still miss the small town atmosphere at times, but the access to everything makes it well worth it. Jobs are abundant as well........

Maybe you can get someone to invest in putting one in your area, but I'm guessing to keep it up and running you would need 100-150 members going through there each day. In a small town that's not always easy. If you find someone to invest let me know. I know the V.P. at Wright's gym equipment and can get you good used equipment at a great price.

Good luck bro,
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Rocky07

black i dont think the people in our town want a gym....i dont really think it would do all that good bc i mean bro unless u are sittin at home by youself i bet u ar e surrounded by fat asses. i bet me and u would just about be the only 2 people in the gym regularly. this town sucks
Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
zeke
Vet

zeke will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky07 View Post
black i dont think the people in our town want a gym....i dont really think it would do all that good bc i mean bro unless u are sittin at home by youself i bet u ar e surrounded by fat asses. i bet me and u would just about be the only 2 people in the gym regularly. this town sucks
It's all in how you market your product (the gym), but you have a valid point. My buddy has bought equipment back from guys he sold too a few months before. Do a little leg work. Sit in front of Walmart and ask people coming out, not going in. Would they pay $$$ a month for a gym membership in your area. Keep in mind contracts are out for small towns.....
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
HOTROCKS

HOTROCKS will become famous soon enough
MOVE

My town has less that 4000 people.
But I have my own equipment .
I have free run at the U of Florida since my wife is faculty their .
But , Hell ! I feel like a midget besides all those foot ball players .

Hot Rocks aka HIGH12 is A true American Psycho!

HOTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
black7
Vet

lol this is my home town... i just wanna help improve it

Old 05-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Scotsmark
VET

Scotsmark is on a distinguished road
Why don't you get a group of friends together who want to train, clean up an empty building, and try to get a cheap rent on it, buy your own gear - nothing too expensive, second hand reconditioned stuff and charge a small fee towards the rent/upgrading of equipment. Might work mate, do you have any training certs? If you or any of your friends do, you'd be legitimately doing it and the town will benefit.
Scotsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
HOTROCKS

HOTROCKS will become famous soon enough
If you and Rocky move out I'll bet it will improve immensely !

Just Joking !

Hot Rocks aka HIGH12 is A true American Psycho!

HOTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Valkyrie

Valkyrie is on a distinguished road
you guys should stop inbreeding first thennn worry about gyms and malls and what not.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
cowboytroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky07 View Post
Rocky,
That was a thought in my small town until a friend of mine had the balls and put in a gym. A nice one. You can put all the equiptment on lease and pay it out over 5 years. Its been open for 4 years now and he has over 300 customers on 1 year contracts. This place is bringing him in over 10 grand a month. Over head is pretty close to nothing. He's paid off the building now and equiptment is almost paid off. It just take some balls to do it. Our town only has around 2500 people in it, but like you we have a large city about 25 minutes away that has over 4 gyms in it. Everyone says the same thing convienance is everything. I dont know how big your city is but it might make a good part time job for you and Black, plus you get to workout FREE. Good luck.