Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
mrhtbd

mrhtbd has a spectacular aura aboutmrhtbd has a spectacular aura about
Almost lost my lower leg

Been having major problems with my right lower leg since Feb 2016 when I broke the ankle in 2 places and had a non-displaced fracture in the tibia. The tibia also had a huge gash breaking the skin during the incident. Not much was done to clean the area before wrapping, x-rays, etc. at the time. Since then I've had severe swelling in the area. Was taken off WC after 6 weeks and lived on my savings the next 10 months. After a year I got the job in the steel fab shop, figuring if I was on my feet I could strengthen it on my own. After 16 months there the swelling/pain was still very bad. I refused pain meds and only took Excedrine for headaches from time to time. Long story short I was called to work security for an emergency clean-up of an oil leak, as I was working PT doing security for the pipeline since Nov 2017.
My leg swelling got so bad the skin started to split. I talked to some nurses and they told me to get to the ER immediately, which I did. The ER docs wasted no time getting me on an IV for antibiotics and saline. I got that for 2 1/2 days. The small splits in the skin can be seen in the picture, but I was told I was lucky I came in when I did. They said I had severe Celulitis from a bone infection and that if the leg split open I may have lost it. After 13 bags of antibiotics and my leg size greatly reduced, I was sent back to work. The next day the leg began swelling again. I followed the instructions and continued with an oral antibiotic. The swelling got so bad that 7 days later I lifted my leg to dry off my calf after a shower and a vein broke, shooting a stream of blood 3 feet across the room. No oozing, the blood shot out like a water pistol. I applied the towel as a tourniquet, got dressed and returned to the ER. Luckily the bleeding had stopped, they applied silver nitrate and a bandage with a glue-type material. The leg continued to swell. A week later my boss said it looked like the blood infection his dad died from so I went to the ER again. They immediately put me on an IV with antibiotics and I stayed another day and a half. They ruled out blood infection, and thank-fully the leg reduced again in size. All 3 ER visits (over that 17 day period) my BP was sky high, 187/135 range. It is usually high (average 135/90) but nothing like that. They put me on metaprolol, blood thinners and other things which, on this last visit, reduced my BP to 135/95. They said the heavy restriction of blood flow through my right leg (approximately 25% of my total flow) most probably causes the increase (like stepping on a garden hose). I take Losartan 100MG now and feel great. It's been 15 days since my last ER visit and the swelling has stayed down. My leg looks mangled from what it's been through, but I think I'm out of the woods and can really focus on recovery. To think it was infected for so long is scary. I knew I was having problems because something didn't seem right. I was walking exhaustion. Meanwhile, I quit the Steel Factory job after 16 months and was offered a full-time position with the oil company. I work nights 12 hour shifts which helps with my kin cancer, and have been working 7 days a week since middle of June and no end in sight. In addition, my salary is up 40K/yr. After ferreting out that nagging health problem, and keeping my nose to the grindstone these past 2 years, things are really looking up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legs before hospital.jpg (40.9 KB, 37 views)
mrhtbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Glad you are doing much better, my friend! Count your blessings. Like you said, could have been a WHOLE lot worse. Not only a huge relief from incident of the leg but got a better job. Now, use that extra money to buy me a nice birthday gift. Glad you're doing well...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
Wow! Dude you have so much crapn unloaded on you so frequently I dont know how you cope. I hope things continue to improve. It's got to get better

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
A1food4u

glad to hear you pulled through.... I'd wrap myself in bubble wrap if I were you
Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
choke

Are you a magnet for "shit happens"? I've never seen someone with so much disaster and drama dude.

Be careful.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Incredible story, but with a happy ending. Keep it going brother!

Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
mrhtbd

mrhtbd has a spectacular aura aboutmrhtbd has a spectacular aura about
Quit the security job. Crazy. Was working 84 hours a week making bank on 44 hrs OT per week, but have a legal issue pending with the lower leg. Lawyer said I make too much gat and ruining the suit (of 2 years) ridiculous but when I tried to reduce hours to 40 they fazed me out. Sucks, but long-term vision is key. Called the metal shop and they wanted me back. Lifted over 6000 pounds on Tuesday, lifting 50 lb boxes, 42” wide, overhead to a press table, pressed in 4 bolts, then overhead again to stack; floor to head height, 120 pieces in 10 hours. Awesome pump! Tired as hell the next day. Good thing is the lower leg swelling is minimal. With all the medical problems, settlement was bumped up. Never know, sometimes you get paid. 280lbs now, bit o belly but arms over 19 and back pressing steel. What can I say, the owner acknowledged I am a producer and I love having numbers to back up my hours. Things are better than ever! Changes, not to fear; sometimes the universe’s plan for us sets us up for where we need to be!
mrhtbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
At least you're keeping it positive. Good attitudes make for better difficult situations.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote